A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Ruth, I ran the numbers camp637 provided through a spreadsheet, but can't figure out how to post the results here without it looking like a mess. Anyway, based on those numbers, the ratio of passenger to crew increased between 2007 and 2010 on all ships named by camp637 except for the Prinsendam and Noordam. If staffing levels were the same in 2010 as in 2007, the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam & Westerdam would have 12 more crew members, the Veendam 18, and the Rotterdam 33. The Prinsendam would have 19 fewer staff and the Noordam 20.

John, do you happen to know if Capt. Mateboer will be on our Noordam B2B Nov. 12 ? If so do you think it would be OK to ask him to autograph his book "The Capt's Log" or will it be too intrusive?

I really enjoyed his book..

Thanks......:)Betty

Betty,

We had him sign his book and his children's book as well - we gave that to our grandson and it's among his favorite!

We just brought the books down to the front desk with a note, and they took care of the rest. The books were returned to our cabin with the captain's autograph.

Betty,

We had him sign his book and his children's book as well - we gave that to our grandson and it's among his favorite!

We just brought the books down to the front desk with a note, and they took care of the rest. The books were returned to our cabin with the captain's autograph.

Great Thanks Sy, for that info...I didn't know that he wrote a children's book...I must look it up..

Have a great day..

Cheers....Betty

Ruth, I ran the numbers camp637 provided through a spreadsheet, but can't figure out how to post the results here without it looking like a mess. Anyway, based on those numbers, the ratio of passenger to crew increased between 2007 and 2010 on all ships named by camp637 except for the Prinsendam and Noordam. If staffing levels were the same in 2010 as in 2007, the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam & Westerdam would have 12 more crew members, the Veendam 18, and the Rotterdam 33. The Prinsendam would have 19 fewer staff and the Noordam 20.

Thanks for that info. I got busy on something and haven't had a chance to do the math yet. I'll make time later to double check your figures (frustrated accountant here---trial balances don't, and all that).

So, it appears that except for the Prinsendam and Noordam, there was an effective decrease in staffing levels.

From HAL Captain Johannes "Hans" Mateboer:

hansheader.gif

Navigation

Welcome to the website of Captains Publishing

Thousands of books have been written about ships, and the sea. However, when one tries to find books on these same subjects, written from a close personal view, the selection suddenly becomes very small. When searching children's books about the sea, of the few available, none of them are written by a ship's captain. They are written by children's books authors, who have researched a subject to fill a market need.

thecaptainslog-sm.jpg

Peter the Cruise Ship presents information about ships, the various types of boats, the roles they play and what they do, in an entertaining way from an expert. This first person experience makes this series unique.

Children, especially those between the ages of 2 – 8, are fascinated by transportation, things that move, vehicles and boats. Transportation and boats are major learning subjects in early education as evidenced in curriculum, children's museums, by the many children's toys and games, music and books based on this subject area. In addition the topics of friendship, teamwork and cooperation are key childhood issues.

The writer has been a captain on cruise ships for many years and the idea about writing about his personal experiences started about 10 years ago when he was asked to do a series of articles for a magazine. These articles, became very successful and are still being published regularly. These short stories became the basis for the first book, The Captain's Log, a book with funny stories about life on cruise ships.

petercruise-sm.jpg

peteralaska-sm.jpg

peterpirates-sm.jpg Going back to his own early childhood, the writer remembers how interested he was in transportation and how exposure to ships at that age, set him onto an exiting career.

Peter the Cruise Ship could spark an interest with children which then later could be kept alive with the stories from The Captain's Log.

i would love to know what is High tea service provides? we will be booking SA cabin and i would love to try to order High tea service is it just fancy cookies and tea and cakes served on verandah ? can anyone please tell me a bit more info about it:confused:

I am not DBA but high tea service is very nice in the suites.

It is tea, but they bring everything on an elegant cart, tea pot, the whole thing. They offer different things to go with the tea. You can also order hor's d'hoeuver to be served in your suite every afternoon as well if you like.

Very elegant and very nice. Try it. You'll like it.

:)

Thank you Thank you Thank you John & Oceanwench...:):) Have just ordered the other three children's books for my two Great Grand Babies..I'm so pleased...:)

Only the Girls are going on a Cruise in Oct & I believe they want to take the Babies with them..

This will be perfect for their Birthday's in the fall..

Cheers....:)Betty

Thanks for that info. I got busy on something and haven't had a chance to do the math yet. I'll make time later to double check your figures (frustrated accountant here---trial balances don't, and all that).

So, it appears that except for the Prinsendam and Noordam, there was an effective decrease in staffing levels.

Actually, I think that Ironin means that there has been an effective INcrease not a DEcrease in the psgr ratio between 2007 & 2010 on all except the Prinsendam & Noordam..If you look at her numbers & camp's numbers hasn't the ratio increased?.

Quote the ratio of passenger to crew increased between 2007 and 2010 on all ships named by camp637 except for the Prinsendam and Noordam.

If staffing levels were the same in 2010 as in 2007, the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam & Westerdam would have 12 more crew members, the Veendam 18, and the Rotterdam 33. The Prinsendam would have 19 fewer staff and the Noordam 20. Unquote

Cheers.....:)Betty

I took a look at the Fleet Fact Sheets, which I downloaded over time from HAL's website, and learned the following:

Veendam ... Jan 2007 - 1258 pax and 557 crew; Apr 2009 - 1350 pax and 580 crew; May 2010 - 1350 pax and 580 crew

Rotterdam ... Jan 2007 - 1316 pax and 593 crew; Apr 2009 - 1316 pax and 600 crew; May 2010 - 1404 pax and 600 crew

Prinsendam ... Jan 2007 - 793 pax and 428 crew; Apr 2009 - 793 pax and 470 crew; May 2010 - 835 pax and 470 crew

And on the Vista ships ... in Jan 2007 there were 1848 pax and 800 crew on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam and 1918 pax and 800 crew on the Noordam. As of May 2010, 1916 pax and 817 crew on the Z, O and W and 1918 pax and 820 crew on the N.

Here is a link to a spreadsheet based on camp637's figures: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApAT6ZYPYl1ndGV4LXJXMElDaU45VWF5enQ2bUZzM0E&hl=en

Here is a link to a spreadsheet based on camp637's figures: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApAT6ZYPYl1ndGV4LXJXMElDaU45VWF5enQ2bUZzM0E&hl=en

so what I am seeing is not a big change. :confused: HAL still has one of the best ratios of crew to passenger. anyone taken into account that they have found a better way to do some things? ie. laundry? who knows?

All I know is we got off the Zuiderdam which has had mixed reviews on the board last April. Food was the best I have ever had on HAL. Service in MDR and PG was excellent. All around great. So, maybe I am 'missing the boat'

Really looking forward to our next one. From what I hear the best of the best have been transferred there. Should be awesome!:)

Actually, I think that Ironin means that there has been an effective INcrease not a DEcrease in the psgr ratio between 2007 & 2010 on all except the Prinsendam & Noordam..If you look at her numbers & camp's numbers hasn't the ratio increased?.

Increasing the ratio is not to the good.

It's an increase in passengers per staff. That's an effective decrease in staffing levels.

It's a matter of which component you're putting first.

When DBA says that there was no decrease in staff, he speaks in raw numbers, but not in terms of staff per passenger---that did decrease.

I am not DBA but high tea service is very nice in the suites.

It is tea, but they bring everything on an elegant cart, tea pot, the whole thing. They offer different things to go with the tea. You can also order hor's d'hoeuver to be served in your suite every afternoon as well if you like.

Very elegant and very nice. Try it. You'll like it.

Thank you Jacqui & Jose it give me a better idea what it is, is from what I understand we can order it only once per cruise right?, ps is the similar sandwiches that are offered in Neptune lounge around 4 pm?. We loved our SA suite so much our little one she was 10 years old on the cruise she loved being able to sue the Neptune for hot chocolate cookies and goodies and sweets and snacks all days long I guess at their age she has incredible metabolism :) that my DH does not have !!!!!:) LOL

DH gained more then 10 LB on the cruise ,but the food was really good the Neptune snacks and appetizers was the best part of our sail away we would sit on the verandah and just snack on something new every day and watch our ship sail away

Thank you Jacqui & Jose it give me a better idea what it is, is from what I understand we can order it only once per cruise right?, ps is the similar sandwiches that are offered in Neptune lounge around 4 pm?. We loved our SA suite so much our little one she was 10 years old on the cruise she loved being able to sue the Neptune for hot chocolate cookies and goodies and sweets and snacks all days long I guess at their age she has incredible metabolism :) that my DH does not have !!!!!:) LOL

DH gained more then 10 LB on the cruise ,but the food was really good the Neptune snacks and appetizers was the best part of our sail away we would sit on the verandah and just snack on something new every day and watch our ship sail away

high tea is served around 3 or 4 pm (I forget, sorry). Concierge will tell you. Use them - they are great. The treats were not the same as the Neptune lounge, so if you like them, you can take them and if not, nip to the Neptune lounge. They were very similar to the things you would get at a real high tea.

High Tea is served late afternoon every day. Just once enjoy.

Tell DH to use the stairs. That's my secret and it works!! plus then you get to see some of the incredible art. Hope this helps. any other questions, feel free to post or email me at catjack@nbnet.nb.ca Suites rule:p

Increasing the ratio is not to the good.

It's an increase in passengers per staff. That's an effective decrease in staffing levels.

It's a matter of which component you're putting first.

When DBA says that there was no decrease in staff, he speaks in raw numbers, but not in terms of staff per passenger---that did decrease.

OK Ruth, I understand now...However in looking at Whogo's spread sheet of Camp's Numbers the decrease seems to be infinitesimal..

By comparing Numbers from 2007 to 2010 it seems to me that The Zeider, Ooster & Wester increase of psgr to crew was actually 4/100 th's of a percent...Veendam was 7/100ths of a percent & Rotterdam was the most at 12/100ths of a percent of Psgr to Crew.. Prinsendam & Noordam ratio's of Psgrs to Crew actually decreased...

IMO these figures are so minute & the facts don't seem to prove that Crew has been significantly decreased ...

I'm not an accountant, & my Math may be totally wrong...If so I would appreciate being shown where I've goofed..

Cheers....:)Betty

Betty, in my post above, I spelled out what those changes meant in terms of actual #'s of crew members. IOW, if the ratios had remained the same, there would be X more (or less in the case of the two ships) crew members aboard. Hope this helps.

Betty, in my post above, I spelled out what those changes meant in terms of actual #'s of crew members. IOW, if the ratios had remained the same, there would be X more (or less in the case of the two ships) crew members aboard. Hope this helps.

Yes it does thanks I'll go back & look at your post..Betty

IMO these figures are so minute & the facts don't seem to prove that Crew has been significantly decreased ...

Who has said the crew was "significantly" decreased? That word was not used that I remember. I asked DBA if his claim that there was no decrease meant no "effective" decrease. That's the question he evaded.

Yes, there was an "effective" decrease, however slight.

Who has said the crew was "significantly" decreased? That word was not used that I remember. I asked DBA if his claim that there was no decrease meant no "effective" decrease. That's the question he evaded.

Yes, there was an "effective" decrease, however slight.

Agree Ruth you did not say significantly decreased, but others have said it & the numbers don't show it..IMO the question should not been asked of DBA..He does not make policy & should not be involved in this dispute.. I think he very nicely explained why he did not want to post on the other thread & I frankly don't blame him..There were so many assumptions being made without facts..

IMO, It's up to HAL'S top Management to answer that question & only if they want to..It's actually none of our business if we are happy with HAL's service..

If one is unhappy with HAL's service then it should be taken up either on board or with Seattle & not debated on this message board..

I also think that we all would be wise to remember DBA's post No. 29 when he first stated this thread..Quote <,snip > I appreciate your question and I'm happy to answer. And for the part that I didn't quote, you're exactly right. While our PR dept has given me the go ahead on the blog project and I've checked about some dos and donts, it is important to point oput that any views shared are my own, and I am not a spokesman for HAL, not am I in the PR department. (So that narrows it down a little bit, right? )/SIZE]

Betty

If one is unhappy with HAL's service then it should be taken up either on board or with Seattle & not debated on this message board..

Betty

I noticed you write something similar before and wonder if you mean this specific thread or all threads on Cruise Critic?

Dutch:

On another thread it is being said that HAL will do away with the medallions once the ship's supply runs out.

Is this the new HAL policy after the backtracing HAL did upon introducing the new Mariner star program?

Thanks for your imput.

In the beginning the medallions were to be done away with completely. There was a little bit of an uproar (that puts it mildly I think) and they were reinstituted.

Unless something new has gone into effect, the way it was explained to me is:

Copper (100 day) medallions are going the way of the dodo, but they will still issue them for as long as they have them.

Silver (300), Gold (500) and Platinum (700) Medallions are all being continued.

Archived