Just Received a Mythical Upsell on Nautica

JennAngel9

Sorry for the 24 hour delay, but I wanted to alert people on this board (who have been so kind and helpful to us) that our TA called us yesterday and said Oceania had just called her and offered us an upgrade for 150/pp from a C1 (oceanview) to a B1 (balcony). This was after already getting a $500pp price drop after booking (due to the celebration promotion) AND it's on the rare 12 day Black Sea cruise on Nautica at the end of summer.

This seemed like a no brainer to me (I seem to recall originally deciding that as the lowest balc was about $550pp more expensive than an C1, we would just reserve a cabana instead). I mostly wanted to let people know this was happening, but am (of course) curious to hear if people think this was a good value.

If they called me and offered to upgrade my cabin to a balcony for $300 total, I would take it before they finished the question...

I only take the lower category cabin because of the very high differential to get to the balcony categories...I rationalize that it's a lot of money that I can use elsewhere and I'm not going to have that much opportunity to enjoy the balcony...But, for only $300...it's a no-brainer...I'm spending $12-15 grand on this vacation, another $300 is MINIMAL...

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear from the outset... we DID take it :) As Bruin Steve mentioned, the $20(ish) day seemed like a tiny upgrade cost for the ability to step out on the balcony for a drink or to snap a photograph or to check the weather before dressing (which sadly, has been our primary use for it on some port intensive cruises!).

I was mostly posting so that other people with less proactive TAs might be able to take advanatage of whatever hocus pocus is going on at Oceania at the moment AND to verify that a $150 price difference was as good of a deal as we thought. :)

I was mostly posting so that other people with less proactive TAs might be able to take advanatage of whatever hocus pocus is going on at Oceania at the moment AND to verify that a $150 price difference was as good of a deal as we thought. :)

Glad you took the offer

I do not believe it is mythical or hocus pocus as you put it ...all cruise lines are hurting for clients as well as other travel related industries at this time.

If you are fortunate enough to be able travel in this economic down turn you can get some good deals

Lyn

I wonder if the Black Sea cruises are not selling as well this year because of all the posturing lately by Russia, including the little war it precipitated that way last year (in addition, of course, to the status of everyone's investment portfolio).

I'm not sure how much of an impact it's having. From what I've seen, the black sea voyage is one of the least discounted (relatively priciest) cruises being offered by Oceania, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.

As far as Russia is concerned, I think we are more concerned about potential instability as a result of the collapse of the ruble than military conflicts. I have read that the Russian government doesn't have the money it needs to transform Sochi into an Olympic city anymore, and I was primarily interested in going to see the city in transition.

I am on the June 12th Istanbul to Athens cruise and was disappointed it wasn't part of the discounts offered a few weeks ago. I checked on Oceania's website and the cabins were fairly booked. So I was THRILLED to get a call from my TA yesterday offering a $100/person upgrade from a D (outside porthole cabin) to a balcony. I was at work when she called and was praying some cabins would still be available. I suspected they wouldn't be prime midship spots, but when I reached her a couple hours after her call I was able to get 6090 -- one of the aft cabins with a bigger balcony. Before I agreed I did a quick search on this forum for that cabin number and saw overwhelmingly favorable comments, so we quickly agreed. The original price difference was more like $1100/person! Makes our not getting a discount much easier to take.

I think that what is more interesting is that O are finding it easier to sell Cabins without a balcony and are finding those with more difficult to shift.

Therefore shifting you to a better cabin with additional revenue actually frees up those less attractive cabins which they can sell.

I hope that makes sense.

That said, I too would grab it with both hands.

Brian

I think that what is more interesting is that O are finding it easier to sell Cabins without a balcony and are finding those with more difficult to shift.

Therefore shifting you to a better cabin with additional revenue actually frees up those less attractive cabins which they can sell.

Makes sense to me.....I'm hoping they make us the same offer!

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, we were e-mailed an offer to upgrade from F to C at a cost of $250 per person for our upcoming 14 day Europe cruise on Regatta. By the time we called, we were told that there was no more availability.

Today, we received another e-mail, this time offering the same upgrade for $200 per person. We quickly called and confirmed the upgrade.

Strange.

I hope that makes sense.

That said, I too would grab it with both hands.

Brian

I agree $300 for a balcony is a no-brainer.

I think the bigger issue for Oceania is there's a limit to what people are willing to pay overall, as well as a limit to the differential in price that they can get for C vs B cabins.

It's not that the C cabins are cheap, it's just that many people won't pay an extra $300-400 per day for a balcony.

The first couple years, O was charging around $200 pp per day for B cabins (not counting airfare), and practically giving away Transatlantics. Even a couple years ago, it was still possible to find some cruises in this price range, especially if you shopped for deals and were a past guest.

By comparison, nost cruises on O in the 2009-2010 season have per diems of $300-$400 for a B cabin (again after subtracting the "free" air). Even with a HUGE number of satisfied past guests, including us, there's a limit to how many people they can find willing to pay those prices. At some point, other travel options, including land tours or other, less expensive, cruise lines start to look more attractive.

It will be interesting to see how things settle down after Marina launches. I expect an enthusiastic reception for her from past guests, but at the same time, O's available number of berths will suddenly grow by 50% in what is still likely to be a weak economy.

So far, they've been making it work with discounts, on-board credits, etc. I expect that will continue for the next couple years, but even with the "discounts" cruising on O today costs more than it did in 2007.

So far, they've been making it work with discounts, on-board credits, etc. I expect that will continue for the next couple years, but even with the "discounts" cruising on O today costs more than it did in 2007.

"2007" Doug? Remember what we paid for our cabins during Oceania's second season?!? I think it was around $1400 per person for an inside, including the free air!!! :D

The first couple years, O was charging around $200 pp per day for B cabins ...

By comparison, nost cruises on O in the 2009-2010 season have per diems of $300-$400 for a B cabin ...

It will be interesting to see how things settle down after Marina launches. I expect an enthusiastic reception for her from past guests, but at the same time, O's available number of berths will suddenly grow by 50% in what is still likely to be a weak economy.

... even with the "discounts" cruising on O today costs more than it did in 2007.

There are two, not one, large new O ships coming, more than doubling the total capacity. I am wondering whether ALL cruise lines that signed construction deals at the height of the market a year ago are sorely regretting!

If anyone has read the "News" section of this board -- yesterday and today -- they will see that RCI's new Oasis of the Seas and Seabourne's new Odyssey are having trouble selling out for their inaugural sailings. Even Crystal is NOT building any new ships now. It will be a really slow year for the cruise industry and the new Marina better have some BIG discounts for their inaugural sailing. We just saved $1,600 on Azamara by switching cabins to one which is the same size and deck we were on. Our cabin was not discounted, but the new one was and is mid ship on deck 7.

Sheila

Shelia, Cystal hasn't announced a new ship since the Serenity which started sailing in 2003. While I wish Crystal would have a replacement for the Harmony which left Crystal in 2005, I'm glad that they do not have new build at this time.

Nancy

Hi Stan and Jim, loved it but didnt really "get it

Jan-

Guess it was a little too esoteric, but we were commenting on posters who cant seem to stop posting the same comments over and over and over.......Johnny one note.....get it?

S&J

I wonder if the Black Sea cruises are not selling as well this year because of all the posturing lately by Russia, including the little war it precipitated that way last year (in addition, of course, to the status of everyone's investment portfolio).

We did last years July 7th Black Sea cruise.We met alot of europeans and British citizens on the cruise.The crew told us for the first time there where only about 70% Americans on this cruise.The ports where the most interesting.It was one of our most enjoyable cruise's because of the ports we went to.

We are doing a 12 day Meditteranean on the Regatta shortly.

We previously upgraded from F to C1 for a total of $400.

We are now being offered upgrade from C1 to A for another $600.

Thoughts on whether or not we should we do it?

Archived