Chandris Cruises(Celebrity)? Who remembers them?

LAKaye

Our very first cruise was on the Regina Magna, Chandris line, back in the early 70's.  We thought it was fabulous.  Of course no balconies, but our cabin was large.  

Great midnight buffet, very nice shows, great food--lobsters so big they sliced off filets from the tails that covered a plate.

All for a whooping (may vary slightly due to memory) $275 RT pp from Omaha to San Juan for a 7 day cruise!

One downside; our very large cabin was in the absolute prow of the ship--it was prow shaped--and I was quite seasick for a couple of day.  Haven't been seasick for years, but those older ships were a different breed.  The Greek staff was also fabulous.

I honestly don't think today's cruise prices are outrageous compared to what is offered now rather than years past.  Yes, you can spend a lot, but we shop very carefully--ok we hunt for the bargains--and find good deals.  Maybe not $275 for a 7 day cruise including flights, but still good.  

Yes, you can spend a whole lot more, but deals are out there.  Flexibility helps.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

Our first cruise was with Celebrity on the Zenith back in the days of Michel Roux and before the Zenith had verandas. 

We booked a suite ( 1008 ) and had a butler ( Zenobio ) who along with our other stateroom attendants gave us amazing service.

I can recall walking back to our suite and always seeing a steward working in the corridor who never failed to acknowledge us and rush to open our door.

There were NO specialty restaurants then and THERE WAS NO NEED FOR ONE. All the meals whether at the buffet or in the MDR were not only delicious but were also excellent in their presentation. Waiter service was always perfect as were all beverage services. On formal nights the chairs in the MDR were dressed and meals and service were beyond expectations.

At the buffet there were waiters ( and lots of them ) who would carry your tray and lead you to a table.

We paid $2,700. for a 7 day cruise to Bermuda in 2001. We would gladly add the inflation difference calculated for  2018 for the same service.

After 18 years and earning Elite as well as Diamond status (not by reciprocation) that early Celebrity experience is gone, even when we booked Sky suites and Royal suites.  I feel that the Celebrity experience of today can be found on almost any Royal Caribbean cruise, if you look for it.  Royal offers a lot more to the package as well.

Not knocking Celebrity (still our favorite) but adding moving platforms that ride up and down the side of the ship do NOTHING to add to our cruising experience and we equate it to the NorthStar which fits in very well with Royal Caribbean. I would rather see the large amount of money on GIMMICKS and the maintenance they require to go into more staff throughout the ship and better meals and service in the dining venues.

bosco

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OP had the answer, but didn't recognize it.  Zenith had 1,828 passengers.  No Celebrity ship is anywhere near that small nowaways. (...)

Are you sure? Celebrity cruises as 4 a lot smaller ships. People tend to forget the Xpedition, Xperiance, Xploration, and Flora. And M-Class has not so much more passengers. I think they started with 1980, and incremented at every renovation.

But for sure actual ships are not so "special" like Chandris ships (but I think I found one stair in M-Class nearly on that type). I loved the metallic very steeply stairs, and the lot of short cuts.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, cruzmaven said:

If I were you, I'd put on some gloves, seal that book in a baggie and lock it in the safe. 

Quick search online showed sellers asking $800 - $1500+!

Not something I'd use to reserve a deck chair. :classic_rolleyes:

The book was discussed on Cruise Critic in 2009 when people were wondering whether is was worth the then price of $40.

That's too funny. Good investment I guess! It's like a book a friend gifted me "Ruby & Sapphire" by Richard Hughes, when my friend gave it to me ~10 years ago it was worth about $80, now they are selling for $1500

Just found this thread when I was looking through CC.  Our very first cruise together was in 1994 on the Britanis.  What an amazing time we had, hooked us for life :)  I still remember seeing the white "X" on the smoke stack when walking back to port.

• 2 years later...

My very first cruise was on the SS Fiorita in October 1970 when I was 16 with my parents and sister.  We flew to Italy and boarded the ship at Genoa and then sailed to Dubrovnik and Greece.  We were also due to go to Istanbul but that stop was cancelled due to an epidemic of some sort.  We went to Piraeus (Athens), Corfu, Mykonos and Delos, where we were tendered over in a rowing boat. We got up in the middle of the night to stand on deck and see the ship going through the Corinth Canal which was amazing.  We were travelling as a pair with a sister ship the Fantasia and one very rough night we stood on deck to see her being thrown around in the waves behind us.  The entertainment was quite basic, I remember the waiters serving us and then doing Greek dancing and plate smashing.  I did not cruise again until 2015 and took thirteen cruises with various cruise lines until the pandemic struck when I lost five booked cruises.  I hope we can go again soon I really miss it and I plan to make one of my next cruises back to the Greek Islands as I have never been back since.   I wish I could find some pictures of inside of the ship, all I can remember is some really dark wood.  I see the ship sank in 1987 very sad.  

Our first cruise, early 70's, was on the Chandris line, the Regina Magna.  It was an amazing cruise and the food was wonderful--we had lobsters so large they cut 'steaks' off of them, and I still remember the cream of onion soup.

Compared to today's mega ships, I suppose it would be underwhelming and the entertainment lacking, but at the time we loved it and it caused a life-long love of cruising for us.

Hi All,

Just found this "ancient" thread.  It has brought back many memories of our earlier cruises.

Our first Celebrity cruise was aboard Meridian in 1993.  It was round trip from Philadelphia to Bermuda.  That cruise was one of the reasons we have continued to spend most of our "vacation dollars" on cruising.  Hopefully, we will be able to resume this activity in the "near term" future.  Unfortunately, nothing scheduled until this September. 

Thank you to the O.P. for starting this wonderful trip down "Memory Lane"

NRayH

• Like 1