Oasis/Allure - what is next ?

Hello dear cruisecritis,

I hope I did not oversee a thread or info on the net regarding the following:

Now that the float-out of the Oasis took place, the Allure being build - there should be room at STX for a new ship...

Does anybody know what is next ? Next at STX and/or next at RCL ... :confused:

So many ships are being build currently, the European market is expanding ... but nothing any close to Oasis/Allure. So I'm wondering what is next ?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Greetings

Christian

I also assume probably nothing bigger in the short term.

A related question: can most European ports (as in, the places a cruise ship would want to stop, not like major shipping ports) handle a ship of that size? I know that's become an issue at some Caribbean ports as ships grow.

In Europe RCL founded 'TUI Cruises' together with TUI. What I found so far is that TUI Cruises are renewing old ships and/or planning to build new ships with more luxury, e.g. own espresso-machine in each cabin etc.

Also Aida is going more into luxury than size/capacity. So it the trend now leisure luxury ?

@DirMongoose: I don't know too much about the size of European ports, but Freedom class ships are docking in various European ports. I guess the "older" ships will more and more move to Europe, whereas in Europe the temperature is not too fancy always as in the Caribbean...

You're not going to see any cruise line order new ships until this economy turns itself around world wide. Right now the cruise lines are worried about keeping the ships they have full each week plus trying to figure out how to pay for the ones that they have on order. RCCL has six new ships under construction and Carnival Corporation has seventeen. No need for any additional ships.

No need for any additional ships.
: Looking at the prices for the cruises in 2010, FOS has sometimes higher ones than the Oasis is planned to have, with FOS being sold out (like on our one cruise, when a high roller booked the whole ship for his birthday party one week before).

Don't know if it is just playing with prices ... guess the time will show.

What I have seen in Europe is that short vacations are more and more the trend, as longer ones are too expensive. Longer ones are more done nearby or by car.

Everybody who I told about the price / value you get on the FOS was astonished very much.

So I guess time will have to show where the market goes to.

I started this thread as I was wondering if anybody caught any trends somewhere.

With the way things are going and where things are headed my only guess would be "SS Minnow of the Seas"

Ray...........I have to agree with you here! RCCL should have tested the waters with one...........and know when to refresh something along the lines of a Radiance class ship.

I'm concerned that RCCl has gone over their heads...........I hope not, as they know more than me.

It's something about putting all of your eggs into "one" basket. Maybe the one is just two.........but I have great reservations.........as do many more.

Rick

According to several staff on Grandeur last October/November, they have the two Oasis class ships on the books, option on one more Freedom class, and options on two Panamax ships, something similar to Radiance in size. Of course, as usual with what the staff say, if you don't like those rumors, make up some of your own.

I believe that the most recent public statements from RCI executives(and they ought to know more than shipboard stff about the line's future plans) indicate that there will be no more new builds after those already in the pipeline are completed, until economic conditions improve. If you figure in the amount of time between placing an order for a new ship and its completion, I would not count on seeing any new RCI ships for a period of time after Allure begins sailing.:) I think that they will secure financing for both Oasis and Allure and I really don't believe that they are in danger of bankruptcy, but common sense seems to indicate that this is not the time to incur the additional financial burdens of more ship construction.

I believe that the most recent public statements from RCI executives(and they ought to know more than shipboard stff about the line's future plans) indicate that there will be no more new builds after those already in the pipeline are completed, until economic conditions improve. If you figure in the amount of time between placing an order for a new ship and its completion, I would not count on seeing any new RCI ships for a period of time after Allure begins sailing.:) I think that they will secure financing for both Oasis and Allure and I really don't believe that they are in danger of bankruptcy, but common sense seems to indicate that this is not the time to incur the additional financial burdens of more ship construction.

That is a mouthful Bill.............and I concur with your statement. However.......I wish that RCCl would only come out with one mega ship....to test the waters. If they could cancel and pay the penalty's on the second one........I believe that they would come out ahead.

Unfortunately.....I can only say this on CC.........and I'm way behind the curve!!

Rick

That is a mouthful Bill.............and I concur with your statement. However.......I wish that RCCl would only come out with one mega ship....to test the waters. If they could cancel and pay the penalty's on the second one........I believe that they would come out ahead.

Unfortunately.....I can only say this on CC.........and I'm way behind the curve!!

Rick

I guess a lot might depend on how great a penalty they would have to pay to do what you suggest, Rick. NCL apparently paid a significant amount to cancel the second F3 ship. Not sure how it makes good business to order something, then cancel it and pay a penalty for doing so, although if it makes sense to cut your losses I suppose it is okay. However, I suspect the greatest cost in building a new ship is associated with the design work and any retooling involved and that there are significant economies to be had with subsequent new builds. :)

It was reported here on CC a while ago, I think by CC themselves and not a member, that RCI had signed an option for a 4th Freedom class, can't see them exercising that option very soon though

Hello dear cruisecritis,

I hope I did not oversee a thread or info on the net regarding the following:

Now that the float-out of the Oasis took place, the Allure being build - there should be room at STX for a new ship...

Does anybody know what is next ? Next at STX and/or next at RCL ... :confused:

So many ships are being build currently, the European market is expanding ... but nothing any close to Oasis/Allure. So I'm wondering what is next ?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Greetings

Christian

The European market may look to be expanding because of ship relocations but the European economy is doing anything BUT expanding. Just because you build it or put it somewhere no longer means that they will come.

Anyone placing an order for a new build right now probably has no business heading up a cruise line.

Archived