I Don't Think it is Rude........

sail7seas

:confused:The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek:

So, I waited and here is my question:

If a poster writes something and I wish to comment about what they have said, and possibly there are intervening posts between that one and where I will be writing my response, isn't it confusing to NOT specify to what I am replying and about what I am commenting?

I've been 'spoken to' in the past on occassion when I have forgotten to include the quote of the post to which I was replying.

What is rude about it?

Thanks.

The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek:

I dont think its rude at all-- and you with over 25,000 posts shouldnt think so either-- Im sure you have "quoted" a few times in your hey-day.

How many posts did the person who called you rude have?

(especially in a thread that is long--- posting the Quote will let the person know that your response is directed to a particular thing

I totally agree with you Sail, I think one has to quote when responding. I have actually responded once and NOT quoted thinking I would be the next post and someone else was typing at the same time I was so my post came after and sounded strange :D I think that the quoting is definitely essential when following a thread. The only down side is that if it is a heated thread I have been know to accidentally quote the wrong post and for that I sincerely apologize :o

Yes, of course, I have quoted other posts hundreds of times and never thought twice I shouldn't. I was taken aback with that comment and have been thinking about it since.

It was a critical post in general and while I didn't agree with all they said, I did read it carefully and think about what they had written.

I am a very straight forward, perhaps too blunt person, but that is how I speak so that is how I write. I never mean to be rude or insulting to anyone here and that made me think that I shouldn't be quoting previous posts so much. :o

I agree with you Sail, I don't think it is rude.

If I come onto a thread and there are already 40 posts and your post is number 12 and that is the one I wish to reply to, or agree with you or dispute what you have said or whatever, my post might not make sense 20 something posts later. You yourself might not even catch that I am replying to you. Unless you see what you have written first and then my reply.

See.....

EXACTLY what Lisa just wrote is what happened here.

I was specifically responding to Serene's post and Lisa posted between Serene's and Mine.

So, reading mine..... to whom was I responding? :D

I agree with you Sail, I don't think it is rude.

If I come onto a thread and there are already 40 posts and your post is number 12 and that is the one I wish to reply to, or agree with you or dispute what you have said or whatever, my post might not make sense 20 something posts later. You yourself might not even catch that I am replying to you. Unless you see what you have written first and then my reply.

:) Babyher...... :) :) I would Never 'not see' a reply YOU had written. ;)

Double negative? Does that negate what I wrote? :D

I agree totally with Sail. It's not rude to quote someone if you are responding to them, especially when there are intervening posts. Sometimes, I don't quote the whole post, but just a portion of it, but I always include the quote marks with my post.

:) Babyher...... :) :) I would Never 'not see' a reply YOU had written. ;)

Double negative? Does that negate what I wrote? :D

Yep double negative that post didn't count . So your post count just went down by one *LOL*

After all the helpful advice and information you have given here over the years , you are obviously doing something right. Don't change :)

I would venture this:

If you are replying to post #12 and it's already post #40, you might make reference to that fact so others can catch the train of thought by seeing when went before.

Also including relevant parts of post #12 when replying.

I agree with everyone else -- quoting a post is not rude. Rather, it is generally considered helpful in that other posters know to whom a remark, comment, suggestion is being directed.

It's been my experience that some (a very few) people (on any and all message boards) look for any opportunity to criticize, even if it means putting a completely incorrect "spin" on another poster's post, motivation, information, thoughts, opinions, or actions. Thank goodness, those posters are few and far between on CC!

Gosh, I am way too much of a newby to give suggestions to most of you and particularly to Sail, but...

( the infamous ... BUT...)

the only time I find the quote a bit annoying is when the quotee has a very long signature with pages of lists of past and future cruises ( and no, this is not directed to martinchem as I actually had this all written before the prior post showed up! ) and all kinds of cute graphics... if the quoter doesn't edit the quote down you can wear out the little scroll wheel on your mouse trying to get past all that stuff in the quote to find the one-word response. Kind of funny but sometimes frustrating. Especially when I find myself reading the whole long quote and thinking, "Gosh, that sounds a lot like that other guy.... really a lot. Oh, it is the other guy. I am still in the quote.." Course that could be after a wee bit of Caribbean rum or something. Maybe. :o

Hard to believe that someone would actually bother to complain about whether someone quotes or doesn't. Or to write about whether quoting make the thread grow longer...

Thanks, all.

Happy to hear you agree. :)

I also agree with the person who mentioned only quoting a portion of a lengthy post when possible. If all you really want to comment on is their last paragraph, it's great to post only that portion and perhaps indicate you {snipped} it.

:confused:The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek:

So, I waited and here is my question:

If a poster writes something and I wish to comment about what they have said, and possibly there are intervening posts between that one and where I will be writing my response, isn't it confusing to NOT specify to what I am replying and about what I am commenting?

I've been 'spoken to' in the past on occassion when I have forgotten to include the quote of the post to which I was replying.

What is rude about it?

Thanks.

why would anyone think it is rude to comment of something that was said.? That makes no sense to me.

Nita

... it's great to post only that portion and perhaps indicate you {snipped} it.
I like to use an ellipsis before and/or after the snipped part to indicate "words omitted" - as I have just done. :)

If it's not proper to quote, then why does CC make the quote function available ... and carry a big button to boot?

That is exactly what I was going to say. LOL

If it is rude then CC should also give us a FLAME button as well, just to make being rude easier right???? He He He.

I much prefer that they use the snippet approach as much as possible. Quoting the entire post when you are only commenting on one line just adds to the clutter here. I've seen threads where 5 or 6 people all quote a lengthy original post and then either go OT altogether (so you wonder what the point of quoting was) or they respond only to a small part of the original post.

I agree that, in general, it helps w/ continuity and certainly see nothing rude about it.

Archived