Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Are Diamond Plus members that drink for free in the concierge lounge also considered free-loaders? For that matter, are Suite members free-loaders when they drink for free? Just looking for responses from those that throw around the term.....

Good question!??? Any takers?

My DH and I have over 40 cruises 23 w/RCCL and will become Diamond + next month. The changes over the years are disturbing and the value has gone down dramatically, we almost don't recognize it as the same cruise line we first sailed in the 80's.

RCCL now has higher prices than Princess with lower quality food which is a major part of crusing. Now RCCL is charging extra for a decent steak in the dining room, I can understand how some people might want pay the extra cost as on our last cruise we found the "regular menu" steak inedible. Personally I'll stick to something I can chew intead of their leather offering and if I want steak I'll go to Chops, (oops maybe that's what they intended when they decided to charge extra in the dining room). Princess has a great salad bar and I was always able to enjoy a decent meal at lunch whereas RCCL's is so lacking it's pathetic, imagine no carrots on a salad bar.

Personally I prefer both Princess and Celebrity, but when we became diamond members we overlooked the changes and have enjoyed the CL where we've met many other cruise enthusiasts and have formed friendships. Although we are not big drinkers we do like the ambiance and yes the tip for the concierge might cover drinks bought at other bars but that's not the point.

I know times change however the email we all received was a real insult, apparently they really don't care if they lose the Diamond members, guess they feel that new people will take their place and they won't have to deal with the complaints of the former loyal members. What I do know is that those who are upset will share their anger with others who most likely think twice before booking with a cruise line that charges more than other lines without any extra benefits.

Good question!??? Any takers?

Sure I'll take a stab.

For some pax it has gotten to the point where all they care about is how much they can get out of RC while paying as little as possible. How many discounts can I combine, how many OBC's can I have, how much $ can I not spend. Keep that SeaPass under $100 for the week. I don't blame RC for limiting these.

Pax are bragging how they are cruising for less than $100 a day, and taking cash home at the end of their cruise, and they still want more.

There are many pax that once they become D their mission is to drink the CL, or overflow lounge out of liquor. I use the CL a bit during the day, and I have rarely ever seen 5 people in there, but come 5PM, look out. They are not satisfied with a drink or 2, they are there to get a full days buzz in 3.5 hrs cause they aren't going to buy any in the bar.

While this is happening, someone who is paying perhaps 5 or even 10 times what they are paying, can't even get in the lounge to sit and socialize, let alone get a drink.

For those who really are not like this, well, RC drew a line and you feel slighted. RC sure won't miss the ones who are the real abusers, if they really do cancel or stop booking RC.

Lets face it, until the economy got bad, and everything was running at capacity, stock over $40, etc ,some of this probably didn't matter. It just didn't start recently, though. We noticed this happening in the CL's in the last cpl yrs.

Once revenus started slipping, and the high end pax and other D/D+ members started complaining, RC needed to do something to something about it. As usual in any type of a situation, there are some who spoil it for others.

I had conversations on my last 2 cruises with the concierge on each ship regarding this. We were on the Serende this past Jan, and Kenny told us then this was coming, he just didn't know when it would be rolled out.

I wouldn't doubt some of the biggest complainers about this fall into this catagory of pax, and it is not the kind of pax RC needs, or wants for that matter.

Thanks Rick.:) My thoughts exactly.

And might I add as an RC that I am still waiting for my first free cruise, my first paycheck for being a cheerleader, any and all perks that we are supposed to be getting on cruises we take (and we leave for our b2b on Radiance next Thursday)........oh, and my first upgrade after 23 cruises with RCI.

Jim and Patti.......not exactly the best thread to say........Have a great cruise!!

Bobbie and I leave on the 19th for a Mariner cruise!!

I totally agree with everything that you are saying. But the naysayers will continue to slam us.................which is exactly why we don't chime in very much.

You all can..........and are doing a wonderful job of duking it our among yourselves.:rolleyes:

Rick

Sure I'll take a stab.

For some pax it has gotten to the point where all they care about is how much they can get out of RC while paying as little as possible. How many discounts can I combine, how many OBC's can I have, how much $ can I not spend. Keep that SeaPass under $100 for the week. I don't blame RC for limiting these.

Pax are bragging how they are cruising for less than $100 a day, and taking cash home at the end of their cruise, and they still want more.

There are many pax that once they become D their mission is to drink the CL, or overflow lounge out of liquor. I use the CL a bit during the day, and I have rarely ever seen 5 people in there, but come 5PM, look out. They are not satisfied with a drink or 2, they are there to get a full days buzz in 3.5 hrs cause they aren't going to buy any in the bar.

While this is happening, someone who is paying perhaps 5 or even 10 times what they are paying, can't even get in the lounge to sit and socialize, let alone get a drink.

For those who really are not like this, well, RC drew a line and you feel slighted. RC sure won't miss the ones who are the real abusers, if they really do cancel or stop booking RC.

Lets face it, until the economy got bad, and everything was running at capacity, stock over $40, etc ,some of this probably didn't matter. It just didn't start recently, though. We noticed this happening in the CL's in the last cpl yrs.

Once revenus started slipping, and the high end pax and other D/D+ members started complaining, RC needed to do something to something about it. As usual in any type of a situation, there are some who spoil it for others.

I had conversations on my last 2 cruises with the concierge on each ship regarding this. We were on the Serende this past Jan, and Kenny told us then this was coming, he just didn't know when it would be rolled out.

I wouldn't doubt some of the biggest complainers about this fall into this catagory of pax, and it is not the kind of pax RC needs, or wants for that matter.

Hello again fellow cruisers...

Sadly, I feel the need to defend myself as a DIAMOND cruiser who has at one time or another enjoyed CL lounge (but apparently I must), while I do like the comp drinks - I have only been on THREE cruises since becoming diamond in '05...so I hardly consider myself a "freeloader, cheapo or abuser." So -- if you seem to think that someone who has cruised with RCI 11 times (three times in suites) as someone RCI "DOES NOT NEED" - well, so be it... BUT - believe, me - I would imagine those who enjoy a free drink or two (or three) are more likely to BUY drinks at dinner and afterwards than the teetotaler who seems so opposed to them.

You have to wonder, what's next.:confused:

Hi,

I believe that I understand why some of the perks that so many of us got used to having and took them for granted - got reduced or just eliminated ...... the cruise line needs money probably more so than 'we' do .

It would not surprize me that it will not be long from now that the Freedom class ships will experience 'overcrowding' in their Diamond 'clubs' and the D will loose access to them as well.

Next will be the D+ ....... there will be too many of those as well.

I expect to see the C&A balcony 'discounts' to be converted to OBC.

It will not surprize me that all of the OBCs will have to be used up on each cruise or will be lost ...... they are OBC and not cash.

Probably there are some more changes waiting for 'us' ......

I hope that I am wrong..... but ..... who knows......

but I also expect that RCI will have many new cruisers to replace the ones that will decide to 'go' someplace else.

I still expect to sail with them once in a while regardless of any of the perks that I did have / or will not have anymore.

Wes

Hello again fellow cruisers...

Sadly, I feel the need to defend myself as a DIAMOND cruiser who has at one time or another enjoyed CL lounge (but apparently I must), while I do like the comp drinks - I have only been on THREE cruises since becoming diamond in '05...so I hardly consider myself a "freeloader, cheapo or abuser." So -- if you seem to think that someone who has cruised with RCI 11 times (three times in suites) as someone RCI "DOES NOT NEED" - well, so be it... BUT - believe, me - I would imagine those who enjoy a free drink or two (or three) are more likely to BUY drinks at dinner and afterwards than the teetotaler who seems so opposed to them.

Why the need to defend yourself. No one accused you of anything. Those who fit into the catagory know who they are, and then there will be those who won't admit it anyway. Why is it when a general statement is made, there are those who specifically think they have to come out and exclude themselves, or feel like they are being attacked, Oh, not me.

It is unfortunate if you feel you are getting the short end of the stick, and you may be, but I doubt if RC is going to single out certain people like you and make an exception. They drew their line here, and have given a statement as to why in their letters back. I don't necessarily agree with some of things RC has done over the years, but I have not experienced anything better with other lines.

I also understand where they are coming from and can leave my emotions out of it. Right or wrong it is a business decision, and they get to make it.

You get to decide whether you want to keep giving them your money. No one said you couldn't go elsewhere.

I love my alcohol, and won't turn down a free drink, however 95% of the time one can find me at the Schooner Bar between 5 and 8:30 and I am usually the one buying.

Sure I'll take a stab.

You Know I have to agree with this poster. Not only am I a Diamond Plus Member, but I usually sail GS (sometimes JS). I too have seen the concierge lounge taken over by members who crowd the lounge from 5pm to 8pm in shorts and t-shirts, then stumble up to the Windjammer because god forbid they go to the dining room and miss a free drink. And brag about it. There have been several cruises that I didn't even bother going to the lounge because it was just too out of control. A suite guest who pays a premium fare, deserves more. And yes I've complained about it. RCCL is doing the right thing by building a Diamond Club on their newer (bigger) ships but some of the lounges are too small to accamodate all the Diamond, Diamond Plus and Suite Guests. I don't meen to ruffle anyones feathers but there are different sides to each debate.

We got back from our wonderful cruise on march 27 and had an email from CA about the cutback of the CL. What a slap in the face /15 cruises / loyal to royal. We may have 2 drinks a night. Too busy going to shows and dinner. Why should suite guests traveling 1st time cruisers get more than us. They are catering to the wealthy now? If they can afford a suite they don't need CL with free drinks. I love RC because of the shows. Far better than princess. But I am beginning to think princess has better food. I am going to try some of the other lines now. Especially since their prices are less than RC. I've told so many people by far RC was better. Very dissappointed in royal. Was going to book the jewel for oct but am looking elsewhere.

Probably because they PAID for it when they bought their suite...bottom line to ALL THIS drama is the CL was designed for Suite pax originally and then later they decided to be nice and include Diamond level as well, now some cruises have 700 or more pax fighting for a free drink and the pax that the perk was designed for and they pay for in their cruise cost can't enjoy the perk any longer....its not rocket science here people..:eek:

Thanks Rick, we are really excited about sailing around Cape Horn again.

Maybe if we're lucky, and if I tell Capt. Trym that I'm an RC..........he might let me operate the joy stick on the bridge!!:D

Only if you let him head out for the lighthouse........and bring back enough rocks..........that can be auctioned off as pieces of the bottom of America.........as Captain Johnny ..........had someone do......and two rocks fetched the Charity.............over $5,100.

Have a wonderful trip. Bobbie has made it........but it's still on my bucket list!

Rick

You Know I have to agree with this poster. Not only am I a Diamond Plus Member, but I usually sail GS (sometimes JS). I too have seen the concierge lounge taken over by members who crowd the lounge from 5pm to 8pm in shorts and t-shirts, then stumble up to the Windjammer because god forbid they go to the dining room and miss a free drink. And brag about it. There have been several cruises that I didn't even bother going to the lounge because it was just too out of control. A suite guest who pays a premium fare, deserves more. And yes I've complained about it. RCCL is doing the right thing by building a Diamond Club on their newer (bigger) ships but some of the lounges are too small to accamodate all the Diamond, Diamond Plus and Suite Guests. I don't meen to ruffle anyones feathers but there are different sides to each debate.

We are diamond, and at least 50% of the time we are in a GS or higher. In the last 2 yrs we have rarely gone into the CL, or an overflow lounge at happy hour.

Probably because they PAYED for it when they bought their suite...bottom line to ALL THIS drama is the CL was designed for Suite pax originally and then later they decided to be nice and include Diamond level as well, now some cruises have 700 or more pax fighting for a free drink and the pax that the perk was designed for and they pay for in their cruise cost can't enjoy the perk any longer....its not rocket science here people..:eek:

I don't believe the 700 figure -- unlees it was a C&A Cruise in which case it shouyld be expected. Just more hyperbole from the opposition. Yawn :o

I don't believe the 700 figure -- unlees it was a C&A Cruise in which case it shouyld be expected. Just more hyperbole from the opposition. Yawn :o

I'm not the opposition, I could frankly care less! :p I just like reading and laughing at all the whining! :D I just got the 700 number from someone here but numbers aside I think there are enough posts here to believe the lounges are overflowing during happy hour on a lot of cruises and when suite pax can't get what they PAID FOR then you would have to expect something to be done sooner or later..right?:rolleyes:

I still believe RCI should follow through with what they started.

Although you do raise an interesting point about the people in T-Shirts/Shorts. Whether I was sailing in a Suite or using the CL as a benefit of C&A, I always respected the lounge and dressed appropriately. Perhaps much of the overcrowding could have been avoided merely by enforcing a dress code rather than eliminatiing the benefit completely?

I still believe RCI should follow through with what they started.

Although you do raise an interesting point about the people in T-Shirts/Shorts. Whether I was sailing in a Suite or using the CL as a benefit of C&A, I always respected the lounge and dressed appropriately. Perhaps much of the overcrowding could have been avoided merely by enforcing a dress code rather than eliminatiing the benefit completely?

Personally - the few times I've noted rude behavior in the lounge - it was from SUITE PAX - generally, the D and D+ pax know the rules and regs and act accordingly. I recall a group of suite passengers who brought their ipod speakers and played music, I've seen kids under 5, people in shorts, etc. I am sure we all have our experiences, however.

Personally - the few times I've noted rude behavior in the lounge - it was from SUITE PAX - generally, the D and D+ pax know the rules and regs and act accordingly. I recall a group of suite passengers who brought their ipod speakers and played music, I've seen kids under 5, people in shorts, etc. I am sure we all have our experiences, however.

If children under five years old are in the CL in the evening then it's the concierge who's not doing his job.

Are Diamond Plus members that drink for free in the concierge lounge also considered free-loaders? For that matter, are Suite members free-loaders when they drink for free? Just looking for responses from those that throw around the term.....

I've never called anyone here a freeloader but I'll give you my opinion. Suite guests pay for the use of the CL in their fare and Diamond Plus? I think we just avoided the axe THIS time but no, I do not think we are freeloaders:)

In another year who knows? In Dec. 2007 we had 667 diamond/plat members at the party on the Ex. for the 12/2/07 cruise. The average diamond number on a cruise on the Ex. for a 9 night or 12 night cruise is around 225-250.

It's just a guess of course but I would say we have about a year maybe less before a good number of Diamonds are D plus so it's entirely possible the D plus numbers will be so many in 2010 we'll be the next to go. Cunard added a higher level to their loyalty program and that's a possibility that RCCL will do the same thing too and maybe RCCL will raise the bar even higher for D plus or make another level in the C & A program altogether.

The upgrades are suppose to go to D+ members now but we have not seen one yet in our 30 cruises... maybe someday.

We've never had one either but I book a JS or OS because those are the cabins we like. If I waited for RCCL to give me an upgrade I'd never get the cabin I wanted. I'd rather pay and get exactly what I want then hope for a possible upgrade.

I've never called anyone here a freeloader but I'll give you my opinion. Suite guests pay for the use of the CL in their fare and Diamond Plus? I think we just avoided the axe THIS time but no, I do not think we are freeloaders:)

In another year who knows? In Dec. 2007 we had 667 diamond/plat members at the party on the Ex. for the 12/2/07 cruise. The average diamond number on a cruise on the Ex. for a 9 night or 12 night cruise is around 225-250.

It's just a guess of course but I would say we have about a year maybe less before a good number of Diamonds are D plus so it's entirely possible the D plus numbers will be so many in 2010 we'll be the next to go. Cunard added a higher level to their loyalty program and that's a possibility that RCCL will do the same thing too and maybe RCCL will raise the bar even higher for D plus or make another level in the C & A program altogether.

hmmmm...looks like my 700 number is NOT such a wild exageration after all!:rolleyes:

GF and I were just weighting options (we are Diamond) about what to do this summer and a return to Liberty OTS is (was) an option. I'm not to crazy about all these large companies cutting corners and screwing us. I'm seriously thinking I may opt out of an RCCL cruise this summer b/c of the CL lounge - not for the CL lounge per se but as a protest. We've spent good money with RCCL and I can't lie when I say there is a small part of me that has never felt I've received everything I put into it. The one thing I would enjoy though is being able to spot one of the flamers on this board on a cruise and dump my drink right in their face.

GF and I were just weighting options (we are Diamond) about what to do this summer and a return to Liberty OTS is (was) an option. I'm not to crazy about all these large companies cutting corners and screwing us. I'm seriously thinking I may opt out of an RCCL cruise this summer b/c of the CL lounge - not for the CL lounge per se but as a protest. We've spent good money with RCCL and I can't lie when I say there is a small part of me that has never felt I've received everything I put into it. The one thing I would enjoy though is being able to spot one of the flamers on this board on a cruise and dump my drink right in their face.

:confused::confused: You wouldn't be missing anything on the LOS. The Liberty OTS has a diamond lounge so you would have a diamond conceirge and happy hour on this ship.

JJ ...The "Top" job in UK office is not moving to Miami.

Sorry but I think you might need to read that old news (recently reposted) again :)

Sorry i should have said one of the Top jobs

20 February, 2009

Royal Caribbean loses UK-based market planning head

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line’s UK-based international market planning regional vice-president is leaving the company.

Weybridge-based Sarah Newman has decided not to take up an offer to relocate to the Miami head office due to family commitments.

The cruise line is transferring the role to the corporate head office in the US “in order to maximise its effectiveness within the global business”.

Just the start of things to come.

jj......

Archived