Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

I agree with you a 100% Merion Mom. It's just not fair the way they go about giving diamond status to those that have not earned it on their own. We only got to enjoy the CL once since becoming diamond. Although we are not drinkers we loved the lounge, the expresso machine and having a quiet place go go during the day, but the best part was being able to meet some wonderful people there.

On a separate topic. I want to thank you from your great live posts on the Mariner around the hook. I absolutely loved it and was hooked.

I do agree with you.

On the other hand... Im diamond, getting married on Explorer OTS in march. My fiance only has one credit, so it is(was) nice being able to bring her into the lounge on our first cruise together last Feb on Voyager.

Truthfully.............

How many Dia+ memebers are secretly happy about the new changes.

I feel really bad for the Diamond members and know I would be fumming along with you if I was Diamond.

But that said a part of me feels kind of happy about the change.

As a D+ member I´m not affected by the CL access change they announced, but no I´m not happy about this. Not secretly and not openly. I think it´s just the current end of a long list of poor decisions made and even more poor communication of these changes.

I do see how they got into a position and need for changes, but I´m not sure if they are approaching the situation in the right way. I do like the product and will coninue to sail RCCL, but I´m also willing to try other lines. I´ve booked a Princess cruise for later this year but this has nothing to do with any of the changes, as it was booked way before this whole mess.

While the focus on the boards right now is on the CL access for Diamonds, the whole benefit list has been reduced and if you compare the "old" list with the now posted one you´ll find a few other things missing as well.

I always enjoy the CL for the company of fellow cruisers and for an hour of socializing with others. I´m not a big drinker and most of the time all I have in the CL would be a glass of juice. So the open bar is not a point to me.

To me it´s not the monetary value of the perks they give, but the gesture behind and that right now shows me they are loosing the hospitality touch and making their guests feel welcome and appreciated.

I think that now would be the time to repeat:

Royal Caribbean could pretty much *solve the problem of too many Diamonds* by restricting Diamond status to those who have actually sailed the requisite number of cruises.

If you get rid of all the "household members" who get Diamond status regardless of how many times they have (or haven't) cruised based merely on the fact that a real Diamond cruiser uses the same address that they do, then I believe that the "problem" goes away.

How about it, Royal Caribbean? If you are in the mood to make changes and overhaul Crown & Anchor, THAT would be a good place to start.

NOT THIS.

You will alienate far fewer people who can no longer claim illegitimate, unearned Diamond status than you are now, dumping Diamonds out of the Concierge Lounge.

Who agrees with me?

Me! My post (#21) on this thread sums up the situation, IMO:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956543

So many members bragged about how happy they were that RCI allowed them to pass along their own C&A status to family members who never earned it. They also accused those of us who pointed out the reasons why it might be a bad idea logistically and is certainly an unfair deal for those who actually earn the status on their own of being petty and jealous. Hardly! Pointing out the potential problems of the policy is not petty, and I've never been jealous of anyone who earns their C&A status by actually cruising. These same members should take partial responsibility now, but I doubt they will. They will want everyone else to lose their non-earned status, just not their own family members.:rolleyes:

Merion Mom should have access to any lounge on any RCI ship at any time, IMO.:D Too bad I don't make the rules.

beachchick

Not on the Explorer it hasn't. Cloud Nine has always been for suite, diamond and D plus guest the same as it's been for the CL. I doubt they'll even need to open the overflow lounge now with just D plus and Suite guests in the CL.
Cloud nine has never been used for suite cruisers. They don't evn know about it. Just diamond and diamond + as I said in the first place.

Saving money wasn't the main reason for this change. The main reason was to enhance the suite perks for the suite passengers. As you are well aware Royal has been attempting to provide a better cruise experience for their highest paying customers since they were coming up short against some of the competition. People who were spending tens of thousands of dollars in the most expensive staterooms couldn't even find a seat for a pre dinner drink in a lounge overflowing with passengers who would sit there the entire night. The cost of the alcohol wasn't the reason for this change.

We are not sure this was the primary reason but agree that it factored in on RCCL decision. Diamond access to the concierge service just got out of control. We've have been on cruises with several hundred diamond members and have heard of cruises with over 700.

Once upon a time, not very many years ago, the CL could easily accomodate both diamond and suite guests. Then the diamond rank started increasing like rabbits on a breeding freenzy. Often the CL was too small for both groups and RCCL opened a satalite lounge. The diamond numbers continued to multiply and on many sailing they outgrew the combined capacity of the concierge and satalite lounges.

Concierge service encompasses more than just free drinks in the lounge and most concierges do a great job. Just a couple years ago one concierge could handle the lounge. Now there is usually another employee assigned to the lounge as the concierge is often very busy making dinner reservations and handling other passenger concerns. On ships that open a satilite lounge RCCL is probably needs five or six employees to do the job that one person handled in the past. Imagine the number of empoyees required when there are six or seven hundred diamond members onboard.

We are concerned about future for diamond+ members and the lounges on freedom class ships. We have long endorsed using sea days as the pathway to C & A status and unless the present system is corrected it will not be too long before diamond+ access is challenged and the freedom class lounges are inadequate.

We agree with the comments that C & A status should be based on sea days and that access to the lounge should be more closely monitored and agree that preventing family members from piggy backing on other family members status would help.

But that said we think that this is a done deal. We are sure that this was an extremely difficult decision for RCCL and that this decision was made or endorsed at the very top of the corporate level. We believe that they have anticipated the amount of rage it would engender from their loyal diamond members but nevertheless felt it was a necessary step. So we doubt that e mail and letter writing campaigns will accomplish anything.

Most of us have been expecting a change for some time and now it is here and we each have to make our own decisions concerning how it will affect our future cruises.

How's this for a simple solution, keep the happy hour benefit but instead of a having it in a lounge you could get a drink anywhere on the ship by being recognized on your sea pass card.

Too easy to abuse the privilege that way - could give your card to others to use. Coupons would work better - still can be abused more easily than in a monitored lounge, but there would be more control.

Actually, lots of people don't drink alcohol - we cruise by ourselves and liked the lounge because it was an easy place to make friends - seeing the same people each night.

Cloud nine has never been used for suite cruisers. They don't evn know about it. Just diamond and diamond + as I said in the first place.

False, atleast on Explorer and Voyager, cloud nine IS overflow for both suite and Diamond. I always preferred cloud nine as it was less crowded!

I was thinking about the sneaky way RCI went about this - End of March most people have already booked cruises this year ( can't change to another cruise line ).

SHAME on THEM !!

jj....

I agree with you on this. They announced this just after a whole wave of long cruises opened for 2010. Certainly, the customer services reps did not mention this to me as I booked.

I agree with you on this. They announced this just after a whole wave of long cruises opened for 2010. Certainly, the customer services reps did not mention this to me as I booked.

I agrree! And I spoke to the C & A loyalty rep. on my last cruise who told me that everything that's been discussed is just "rumours"! Then we find out the real thing on their website yesterday!

This change has been rumored for over a year. We did 11 weeks of cruising last year just to get to D+ (and not because we love cruising;)) because we saw the writing on the wall. Being retired and living in FL has its benefits.

I understand the angst for those that had gotten used to the lounge and free drinks. We certainly expected it with each sailing as a D member. We even avoided the Grandeur out of Tampa because there's no Concierge Lounge. But every night of every sailing that we were on last year, the subject of the current hot topic would arise. Everyone we talked to in the lounges (usually a satelite lounge because of the huge number of D's & D+'s) believed a change would be coming. Now here it is.

Now an interesting question occures to us about the Concierge Lounge on the Freedom class ships. Our E-Mail regarding Level perks states the D+ will have access to the CL. Currently a D+ is not allowed in the CL on the Freedom class (unless in a suite, of course). After July 1, the policy states the D+ will have access to the CL, making no distinction of ship class. Is this a way to get us out of the Diamond Club because of space limitations?

Secretely pleased? Absolutely not. Surprised, Absolutely not. Expecting other changes in the futute, Absolutely yes. How about doing away with the crystal blocks at 30, 40, etc., almost for certain, at least IMHO.

Was this an official announcement? July 1st?

By the time I get to Diamond +, it will be taken away again. At least I am getting next week in.

When the passengers that do not sail in suites lost deck chairs, seating at the ice rink show just to mention a few perks that were lost due to the changes, it was mentioned on these boards that if we wanted these perks to just open the wallet and pay for them, I now say to those that are complaining about their loss of the CL lounge if you want these things open the wallet and pay for it now. :eek:

OK, I am upset also but the only thing the RCCL Company understands is earnings per share. They can increase earnings per share in two ways, increase revenues, or decrease expenses. They chose to decrease expenses, the only way we can show our displeasure in a way they understand is to decrease revenue. All of us have the option to choose other cruise lines if you want to show that this was the wrong decision. Of course doing that could also backfire and cause the company to go into bankruptcy. My suggestion is that if this really means a lot to you, cancel your newly schedule cruises and select a line that is either more price effective or offers better perks. I have three cruises scheduled and most likely will choose this option for one of them. I still enjoy RCCL cruises but need to verify that the extra cost is worth it. They do listen and they may change their minds. Only time will tell.

Mike

Celebrity - an RCCL company - apparently gives you credit based on the # of days at sea. Surely RCCL saw the CL crowding 'problem' coming, so why not grandfather in those that are D and switch to a per-day point system in advance?]

Great solution! I agree - we should have some kind of grandfathering in.

All the Changes to the loyality program Royal Caribbean is doing will have a profound effect on the cruiseline industry, not just to their bottom dollar.

Benefits to Royal Caribbean will be that they no longer have to "subsidize" a growing brand loyality base and can make more money from new cruisers. No longer will they have to supply free drinks at the Conceirge Lounge in many of their ships. With the loyal cruisers now looking elsewhere because of the lack of perks to stay with RCI, they don't have to honour a discount for balcony rooms. Again make more money from new cruisers.

Other cruiselines will benefit from this as well. It will no longer be rewarding to be loyal to a specific brand and now price will be a major factor in which cruiseline many people will choose. Why choose brand "A" when brand "B" offers a less expensive cruise experience with the same amenities?

Perhaps this is Royal Caribbean's solution to kick starting the cruise industry. I know I will be shopping around more as my loyality is not appreciated.

OK, I am upset also but the only thing the RCCL Company understands is earnings per share. They can increase earnings per share in two ways, increase revenues, or decrease expenses. They chose to decrease expenses, the only way we can show our displeasure in a way they understand is to decrease revenue. All of us have the option to choose other cruise lines if you want to show that this was the wrong decision. Of course doing that could also backfire and cause the company to go into bankruptcy. My suggestion is that if this really means a lot to you, cancel your newly schedule cruises and select a line that is either more price effective or offers better perks. I have three cruises scheduled and most likely will choose this option for one of them. I still enjoy RCCL cruises but need to verify that the extra cost is worth it. They do listen and they may change their minds. Only time will tell.

Mike

We spent last night discussing whether or not to change our plans for the Jewel transatlantic. The lounge access was a key selling feature for that trip.

(PS: Celebrity - an RCCL company - apparently gives you credit based on the # of days at sea. Surely RCCL saw the CL crowding 'problem' coming, so why not grandfather in those that are D and switch to a per-day point system in advance?]

I think you are thinking of Holland America. Celebrity still bases its program on the cruise count, with the same bonuses as RCL (two credits for Concierge Class and up, two for a long cruise)

Yes the statement is directly from rccl.com.

I just read it... Thanks.

I did notice that Diamond still has access on Freedom class ,the Oasis and Allure. We are not big drinkers, so we do not care about that, but more about the privilege. A privilege I guess is given to those that have the money to pay for instead of loyalty given.

We too are reconsidering our Radiance cruise next fall. We are going with friends and the use of the CL was definitely one of the reasons we booked. (We even booked rooms based on the location of the CL!) They've already purchased airline tickets. I don't think the short 3 month notice about the July 1st change was quite fair.

Archived