Labadee Pier Progress and Photos (merged)

Yea it doesn't seem like they are getting much done on it especially since it has to be finished this year, while I was there the people that were working on the pier were watching movies in the trailer and I didn't seethem working on it at all while I was there

I was there in March on the Liberty, and when we first arrived they were putting in pilings. The noise was awful, but they soon stopped working so we could enjoy our day in Labadee.

I'm sure they continued working as soon as we left.

Ginnie

I agree. The pier has had no progress since 1st of March or before

I hate to break it to you but that is not a remotely true statement. To an untrained eye, it may look like there has been no progress, but over 3000 feet of 48" steel pipe pile has gone in since March 1st. 9 pile caps have had the steel cages made, been formed and poured since March 1st. The piles have been drilled out into the rock and filled with concrete. 30 to 40,000 cubic yards of dredging has been completed since March 1st. Any structural engineer will tell you that the foundation of the structure (especially in the ocean) is the most difficult, expensive and time consuming part of the project.

The deck units won't show up for another month. Once they place them, it will look like there is a lot of progress. Although, in construction terms, it won't be considered much progress.

Hey Melynne, I will be on the 4 night to Labadee. I will also be on a pre-inaugural cruise on 11-27 that I won from the 24 Hour Event contest from last Fall. I can't wait to see you again. I know you have been working so hard on this project for such a long time. Glad to hear your baby is going as planned.:)

Hey Melynne, I will be on the 4 night to Labadee. I will also be on a pre-inaugural cruise on 11-27 that I won from the 24 Hour Event contest from last Fall. I can't wait to see you again. I know you have been working so hard on this project for such a long time. Glad to hear your baby is going as planned.:)

Hey Jan,

I am supposedly going on a couple of pre-inaugurals but I don't know what dates. I really want to get invited to the naming ceremony. I am pushing for that. I would give up one of the pre-inaugurals for that. Let me assure you, this baby has been having many temper tantrums. I had to work my last week of vacation back in December due to something happening in Labadee. I still work 65 to 75 hour weeks as I am the project manager for this, St Thomas and St Maarten, as well as an adviser for all the other Oasis ports of call.

Congratulations on the win! How great for you. You are such a sweetheart, you deserve it. It will be great to see you again too. I will be on the bridge when we dock in Labadee (holding my breath I am sure). You can't imagine the relief I will feel when the Oasis finishes her first full eastern itinerary! Maybe my heart palpitations will stop! Let's hope.

I will be on the bridge when we dock in Labadee (holding my breath I am sure). You can't imagine the relief I will feel when the Oasis finishes her first full eastern itinerary! Maybe my heart palpitations will stop! Let's hope.

I am sure there will be a drink or two after that for you as well M :) Nice to see your post and also thank you for the info.

Daytona...great photos :)

I also noticed they were digging out rock in the jungle on the path leading to the wave runners and setting up what looked like permanent cabanas or something on that path. This path is right past the artisans market. Looked like alot of work to clear alot of rocks for the cabanas or whatever they were going to be.

Mimikens, many thanks for the detailed and reassuring information on progress at the Labadee pier. I really appreciate it. Also I can't wait to see the finished pier first hand. Having a pier will be a welcome enhancement to the Labadee experience because tendering is such a time waster in paradise.

I guess it is a forlorn hope that we could ever see a pier at Coco Cay to ensure almost 100% completion of port calls there. Still, I keep hoping, but the environmental impact issues are probably prohibitive.

Mimikens, many thanks for the detailed and reassuring information on progress at the Labadee pier. I really appreciate it. Also I can't wait to see the finished pier first hand. Having a pier will be a welcome enhancement to the Labadee experience because tendering is such a time waster in paradise.

I guess it is a forlorn hope that we could ever see a pier at Coco Cay to ensure almost 100% completion of port calls there. Still, I keep hoping, but the environmental impact issues are probably prohibitive.

Actually, it is the Bahamian Government and their 40% Value Added Tax they want to put on top of the cost to build the pier.

I have to say, most people have been very positive about the construction knowing it is a necessary evil to having easy access on and off the site. It iwll make it possible to pop back onto the ship for lunch.

They are doing so many improvements upland on Labadee. I have to admit, I have nothing to do with that. The cabanas that Seadog mentioned is the new artisan market.

I am sure there will be a drink or two after that for you as well M :) Nice to see your post and also thank you for the info.

Daytona...great photos :)

So, you're back! How was your trip? You missed the swine flu didn't you?

They started placing deck slabs this Wednesday. This is where it stood yesterday.

Thanks for the photo. Looking good. Glad to see the pier going in. Tendering is not on my list of favorites. Can't wait to see Labadee once they are finished.:)

• 2 weeks later...

That section that has been built is just the walkway to shore I guess. They had made the 45 deg angle turn when we were there and were laying sections of the actual pier.

That coaster they are building is just to the right of the zip line and appears that it will go straight down the hill. Some track has been laid by the locals through the trees. At this point it looks like a large metal erector set like I played with as a kid. scary.

Archived