Labadee Pier Progress and Photos (merged)

oh sad. I loved the fact that Labadee was a tender port. It just made it feel more like we were visiting Gilligan's Island ;) And it also made for some great pictures..

I agree with your comment about great pics from the tender boat. But I did find that if you are at Dragon's Breath Point, there are great pics to be had from there as well. So all is not lost!

oh sad. I loved the fact that Labadee was a tender port. It just made it feel more like we were visiting Gilligan's Island ;) And it also made for some great pictures..

I agree. At least we can still tender to Coco Cay (and it really is an island). :cool:

That section that has been built is just the walkway to shore I guess. They had made the 45 deg angle turn when we were there and were laying sections of the actual pier.

That coaster they are building is just to the right of the zip line and appears that it will go straight down the hill. Some track has been laid by the locals through the trees. At this point it looks like a large metal erector set like I played with as a kid. scary.

Please tell me you are joking about the coaster!?! I can see building a pier so you can walk right off the ship with out tendering. That has always been mentioned as a positive experience at Disney's Castaway Cay and I'm surprised other cruise lines did not follow suit (think of all the missed ports due to poor tendering conditions). Even Disney wouldn't think of spoiling Castaway Cay with amusement park attractions that don't "fit" in a tropical island setting (can you imagine a roller coster on Castaway Cay?).

I guess its another thing to debate whether tendering is good or bad. I happen to believe that being able to walk on and off easier will enhance the experience.

I think the tenders create rushes of people coming on to Labadee. Sort of like a whole lot of people waiting to get on a train or a bus. A pier will offer smoother transition of people. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, RCI is ruining Labadee with all the rides and such. I used to love Labadee, but this Sept. will probably be my last port call there.

Thats why I now prefer to stay on board while in Ladadee. I get the ship to myself! Well, almost.

Me too! I'm trying to get caught up on this subject as fast as I can, but it will take time. Will this pier possibly reduce the crowd at the beach right next to the tender dock? I like to take an inflatable chair and sit it the calm water on that side... It will be sad if that opportunity is lost.

In my opinion, RCI is ruining Labadee with all the rides and such. I used to love Labadee, but this Sept. will probably be my last port call there.

Sadly, I agree that it is no longer a port I will look forward to booking.

I loved Labadee before all the new construction. It had more of the feeling of a deserted tropical isle. When I visited recently, it was dusty from all the construction and the waters were murky. I'm sure the wildlife has also suffered.

I hope Royal will keep its private islands in the future more pristine!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the pictures!

Were you able to tell if they were finished driving the pilings into the sea bed? How was he water quality?

The pilings are not done. There are 14 more to go. But, the part that is making the water murky is the dredging. Hopefully, that will be completed in a few weeks.

The trestle (the walkway portion) is over 450 feet long. The pier including the dolphins (the part where the ship moors) is over 1200 feet long. It is not a small pier. What you are seeing is just a small portion.

Mimikens:

Thanks so much for the Labadee updates. Do you happen to have any info on the progress of the St. Thomas project? I know there is an issue about where to put the dredged material. Were they able to work that out?

Another thread here on CC says Labadee Pier will not be ready for the 12/1 four day Oasis cruise.

Any info on that?

Thanks.

Rick and Deirdra

I have either read the same or heard it on Liberty two weeks ago.

Tim

Archived