Labadee Pier Progress and Photos (merged)

• 2 weeks later...
Mimikens:

Thanks so much for the Labadee updates. Do you happen to have any info on the progress of the St. Thomas project? I know there is an issue about where to put the dredged material. Were they able to work that out?

I am flying to St Thomas today as there is a Senate Meeting tomorrow morning to vote on this.

I just got back from Labadee on Friday night. I will post pictures when I get the chance. The pier is still on schedule for substantial completion October 15 (barring any interruptions from Mother Nature). BTW, the Oasis is not scheduled to be the first ship to call there. They are making some upland improvements at the shoreside of the pier. As soon as this is ready, probably mid-November, ships will use the pier.

I am flying to St Thomas today as there is a Senate Meeting tomorrow morning to vote on this.

I just got back from Labadee on Friday night. I will post pictures when I get the chance. The pier is still on schedule for substantial completion October 15 (barring any interruptions from Mother Nature). BTW, the Oasis is not scheduled to be the first ship to call there. They are making some upland improvements at the shoreside of the pier. As soon as this is ready, probably mid-November, ships will use the pier.

Thank you so much for update on Labadee.:D

I know some of the Critters booked on 1st Dec Oasis sailing have been a wee bittie worried the pier wouldnt be ready for us..fingers crossed Mother Nature looks upon Labadee favourably and the pier will be ready on schedule :D

Looking forward to your pics and hearing how things went in St.Thomas :D

Hello Happy Summer Melynne :) thanks for the update. How is Nassau shaping up to dock Oasis ..

We were very upset to hear that they ruined our favorite beach also for the pier. It was always quiet and we could do some pretty decent snorkeling. So when we were there last month we were greatly surprised that on the ocean side there was fantastic snorkeling. They placed a line of rocks off shore to make "swimming areas". Beyond that there was a wide range of coral and artifical reefs to attract fish. It was the best day of our cruise. I cant wait to go back.

Thank you so much for update on Labadee.:D

I know some of the Critters booked on 1st Dec Oasis sailing have been a wee bittie worried the pier wouldnt be ready for us..fingers crossed Mother Nature looks upon Labadee favourably and the pier will be ready on schedule :D

Looking forward to your pics and hearing how things went in St.Thomas :D

I am also booked on that cruise, so I am pushing hard to make sure we are done with a little time to spare.

Hello Happy Summer Melynne :) thanks for the update. How is Nassau shaping up to dock Oasis ..

Hey Emmy - Is it officially summer? It is exceedingly hot and humid I can tell you!

Nassau didn't have as much work to do. They have started dredging, so that is good. However, if Nassau isn't ready, they can always go to Labadee.

We were very upset to hear that they ruined our favorite beach also for the pier. It was always quiet and we could do some pretty decent snorkeling. So when we were there last month we were greatly surprised that on the ocean side there was fantastic snorkeling. They placed a line of rocks off shore to make "swimming areas". Beyond that there was a wide range of coral and artifical reefs to attract fish. It was the best day of our cruise. I cant wait to go back.

I will post some before and after pictures of that area. We had hoped to have the breakwater and beach completed before taking over Hideaway, but with the worst winter in years, it was difficult to work on the breakwater. However, it is done. We may decide to do a little grooming to make it more of a swimming hole, but right now, we are focusing on the pier.

mimikens,

Besides the pier, how is the other construction going, such as the alpine roller coaster and other areas?

We will be there Oct 5 and even if the pier is not ready, we'd like to see the other things.

Thanks for all the info.

mimikens,

Besides the pier, how is the other construction going, such as the alpine roller coaster and other areas?

We will be there Oct 5 and even if the pier is not ready, we'd like to see the other things.

Thanks for all the info.

The Alpine Coaster is progressing very well. I think they said it would be operational in a couple of months.

Mimikens:

Thanks so much for the Labadee updates. Do you happen to have any info on the progress of the St. Thomas project? I know there is an issue about where to put the dredged material. Were they able to work that out?

So, the dredge project received local approval yesterday. We are still awaiting the federal permit.

Melynne, thanks for the updates. I am so glad to hear you are still planning on going on the 12-1 sailing. I am looking forward to seeing you again. I know you have been working on this project for such a long time, I would love to buy you a drink for all of your efforts in getting this project completed in time for the Oasis.:D

we are going in August - I know the pier will not be ready (which is fine by me as the kids will LOVE the tender) but what about the water park rides? someone else posted that the kiddie area and some of the blow-up stuff was closed. is this still the case? this is one of the main things my kids want to do and I will be really bummed out if the stuff is closed.

Hey Emmy - Is it officially summer? It is exceedingly hot and humid I can tell you!

Nassau didn't have as much work to do. They have started dredging, so that is good. However, if Nassau isn't ready, they can always go to Labadee.

LOL....with Nassau over 6 months behind I would say that may be a very good/possible option....now my questions is....what ships will that effect if that plan needs to be implemented:confused:doubt that Labadee could handle oasis and another ship at the same time:eek:

I also don't mean it negative/personal in any way but your use of the word "IF" translated IMO means "most likely".

This is a picture of Labadee last Thursday showing the pier progress...

LabadeeJun252009.jpg?t=1246110325

Melynne: it appears the pier will lead into the penninsula about where Dragon's Breath is. Is this correct? It looks to be way to the left of the main port entrance at the kiddie beach.

LOL....with Nassau over 6 months behind I would say that may be a very good/possible option....now my questions is....what ships will that effect if that plan needs to be implemented:confused:doubt that Labadee could handle oasis and another ship at the same time:eek:

I also don't mean it negative/personal in any way but your use of the word "IF" translated IMO means "most likely".

I can't tell you for all cruises but for mine Labadee is empty when we would go. Since Labadee is near St. Maarten while Nassau is near Ft. Lauderdale RCCL would have to swap the final port day with the previous sea day in order to make it back in time. On that day no one is in port but the final day (Nassau) has the Solstice in port but like I said earlier it would be impossible to just swap ports and leave the same itinerary. Everyone should check both RCCL and Celebrity for ships docking in Labadee on their final sea day. Since RCCL prefers to make changes in mass if even 1 or 2 sailings are not available they would not go to Labadee for any.

It is not possible to have another ship on the pier when Oasis is there. It was pretty much intentional as we didn't want "anyone" planning another ship when the place is really only being expanded for about 8500 people.

There have been promises that Nassau will be ready. The dredge is on its way to Nassau and is supposed to start July 15. However, there are two dolphins and a security building to be constructed. So, we'll see.

I can't tell you for all cruises but for mine Labadee is empty when we would go. Since Labadee is near St. Maarten while Nassau is near Ft. Lauderdale RCCL would have to swap the final port day with the previous sea day in order to make it back in time. On that day no one is in port but the final day (Nassau) has the Solstice in port but like I said earlier it would be impossible to just swap ports and leave the same itinerary. Everyone should check both RCCL and Celebrity for ships docking in Labadee on their final sea day. Since RCCL prefers to make changes in mass if even 1 or 2 sailings are not available they would not go to Labadee for any.

Nassau can currently handle the Solstice Class. There have been no changes to the Eastern itineraries for Oasis as, presently, all the ports will potentially be ready. For instance, once it was clear that Falmouth would not be ready, the back up port (Costa Maya) was switched in the itinerary.

Archived