Too Hot?

TravelGal22

Actually, it was much hotter in June in Nassau than it has been the couple of times I've been in December, and hotter than early May, too.

I'm doing a Southern Caribbean next month, and I'm very concerned about how hot it is going to be.

We sail from San Juan, which was baking when we were there in December 2007. In fact, I was standing up at El Morro, roasting in the sun, when I realized it was the first day of winter! :eek:

I don't wear hats, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a large-brimmed straw hat, as we have an island excursion every day. I certainly don't want to end up sick from too much heat and sun early on in the cruise.

Yes, it's hot and humid. Very much like south Florida (Fort Lauderdale and Miami). I'm from Georgia, and I know hot and humid.....even I find it rather unbearable for doing anything other than lying on the beach. We did the Caribbean in early June last year and DS almost refused to get off the ship after San Juan was soooo hot. I definitely agree that it is hotter in summer than in winter.

I don't think we'll do the Caribbean in summer again!

We love the Caribbean in the summer months and are so sorry HAL leaves the Caribbean a full six months each year from mid April until mid October.

The temperature does not change that much in the summer months but it gets much more humid. It is definitely hot but we love itl.

Yes it is hot and humid but unless you plan on doing a lot of physical activity like hiking up a mountain or rock climbing then I don't think it's any hotter than anywhere else in the summer. Of course last year it was between 80-90 on our cruise and it was 90-100 back home and we live in Kansas so technically it was cooler on the cruise than if we stayed home. I comes down to what you think you can handle.:)

We just returned from the Caribbean a couple weeks ago. It was about 80 degrees with 80% humidity......and that was the last week of March/first week of April. We are from the west coast, so it was uncomfortable for us. But since you live in Florida, it probably won't bother you as much.

For any of you who have cruised the Caribbean in June-August, could you tell me if was too hot to be comfortable off the ship?

Depends how you feel about heat and humidity. My DH loves it. I wilt quickly. If you don't have to stay inside all summer in Florida, and can take THAT climate, you'll be fine.

Spend shorter days at ports if it bothers you.

Yes I do live in Florida but I don't like the Summers and I stay in an air conditioned building and just go out to an air conditioned vehicle. If we do the cruise I want to do excursions and be outside. Most of the excursion time would be in or near water. I'm also worried about the heat on the ship because I don't like to use the swimming pool.

Yes I do live in Florida but I don't like the Summers and I stay in an air conditioned building and just go out to an air conditioned vehicle. If we do the cruise I want to do excursions and be outside. Most of the excursion time would be in or near water. I'm also worried about the heat on the ship because I don't like to use the swimming pool.

Sounds like the obvious choice is to not cruise in the summer. The heat on the ship? Well, if you are outside, the heat on the ship is the same as it is on land. If you are speaking about the inside of the ship, then heat is of no concern. If heat and humidity are a serious concern then you should probably look at either an Alaskan or European cruise. Otherwise you won't be happy.

It is about the same in the Caribbean all year round.

I agree. In Aruba, the temp averages 79 in January/February to 84 in September (the hottest month). I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years and there wasn't a lot of difference between summer and winter.

If you are at the pool, there are areas up higher that will always have a breeze. There are also areas in the shade. OR...you can stay inside the a/c'd ship where it actually can be VERY cool. Your choice.

Knowing what Fl is likeand how you feel about spending time outdoors in the summer, consider you will be further south and make up your own mind. I hate humidity and heat, I get used to it when cruising the Carib in a couple days and just don't over exert myself.

If you sign up for any excursions or tours, I WOULD rec that the van has WORKING a/c !!!!!

I would not do the Caribbean then in the summer time. I would either recommend waiting till the Fall and doing a New England cruise (NYC to Montreal or the other way around) or an Alaska cruise in the Summer. It will be humid and hot with the same type of afternoon thunderstorms that you get in Florida in the summer.

Keith

Archived