Mariner loss of OBC because of residency rate?

My TA changed my booking to reflect an almost 50% decrease due to a residency rate on April 29 for MOS May 10. She was NOT advised at that time that this would cause me to lose my OBC for this cruise. I asked her again yesterday, and she advised that was not her understanding. Does anyone have a link to the RCI release showing the OBC credits, please? I will be disappointed if the OBC does not show up on my Seapass. And if I had a copy of the RCI release, I could dispute with Guest Relations, as I had to last year re: a fuel charge refund as OBC. Happily, I won that dispute. But I fear I really need something in writing. Have others been advised that they WON'T lose their OBC if they take a lower residency rate?

If you kept your same booking number with the change, didn't change sailing date or ships, you should have kept your OBC. We made numerous changes in our booking on the recent NOS trans-Atlantic which we booked prior to not combining OBC went into effect (inside assigned to inside guarantee to E2 balcony assigned to balcony guarantee) and kept all ours. They key is keeping the booking number.

Tucker in Texas

My TA changed my booking to reflect an almost 50% decrease due to a residency rate on April 29 for MOS May 10. She was NOT advised at that time that this would cause me to lose my OBC for this cruise. I asked her again yesterday, and she advised that was not her understanding. Does anyone have a link to the RCI release showing the OBC credits, please? I will be disappointed if the OBC does not show up on my Seapass. And if I had a copy of the RCI release, I could dispute with Guest Relations, as I had to last year re: a fuel charge refund as OBC. Happily, I won that dispute. But I fear I really need something in writing. Have others been advised that they WON'T lose their OBC if they take a lower residency rate?

Yes, they are trying to pull that on us as well. TA is working on it now. Royal Caribbean is sure showing its true colors to the folks who stuck with them on the Mariner cruises despite the complete change in itinerary.

I think a lot of people who got the price reduction (and it is a LEGITIMATE residency discount) or possibly an upgrade are going to be in for a big shock when they get on board and find out they didn't get the OBC.

Have you gotten the e-mail yet from RCI asking you to sell 3 or more cabins on your Mariner sailing for a suite upgrade? Priceless.

Just to add a thought...with all the TA's having to work countless hours trying to work this out with RCI, do you think these TA's are going to be in a big hurry to recommend RCI to their clients?

Colleen

We're on the 5/24 Mariner sailing. We've been told that we get both the OBC/FCC and the residency rate. Unfortunately, I have not seen anything in writing regarding the OBC/FCC. However, they (Royal) seem to be consistent in that if you get a price decrease due to the residency rate, they will allow you to keep the OBC/FCC. However, those folks in CA and AZ who did not have a residency rate are not able to get the current lower price and keep the OBC/FCC.

At least that is the story as of this morning.

clarea-Thanks for the update. I believe I am in the clear. I just called C&A and the rep verified for me that my reservation shows the proper code for OBC and assured me that I would have no trouble getting it appled once on board. That code is MZW4. And, yes, I did get the e-mail. How is RCI going to reward someone with a suite if there are none available! Only the Family Suite is showing for May 10 sailing.

Resolutions said offically any price drop or category change will cause you to loose your OBC and FCC. I was given a price drop and given wrong information that I would keep them, only to find out I lost them. I am in touch with someone at corporate over the whole issue.

and to remind everyone, in reading the fine print of the Shareholder OBC, it says it can't be used with any other offers such as Next Cruise, restricted fares (RESIDENCY, SENIOR DISC, MILITARY, etc), so maybe it was taken away because you got a restricted fare. I know this is what the investor link said about the Shareholder OBC so maybe it applies to all kinds of OBC except for the ones you purchase for yourself or receive as a gift from a TA.

and to remind everyone, in reading the fine print of the Shareholder OBC, it says it can't be used with any other offers such as Next Cruise, restricted fares (RESIDENCY, SENIOR DISC, MILITARY, etc), so maybe it was taken away because you got a restricted fare. I know this is what the investor link said about the Shareholder OBC so maybe it applies to all kinds of OBC except for the ones you purchase for yourself or receive as a gift from a TA.

wolfcathorse,

The OBC referred to regarding the Mariner Cruises through 6/14/09 was given by RCI to ALL passengers who did not cancel their bookings on the ship when it completely changed the itinerary. This is a unique situation. Well, at least lets hope it is unique!

Colleen

I also got a residency rate drop when I payed for my cruise on the liberty 7/11, but when I printed out the invoice it still shows the $100 OBC I got for booking onboard in 2008 so will I have trouble getting it or not? should I bring the invoice with me?

I also got a residency rate drop when I payed for my cruise on the liberty 7/11, but when I printed out the invoice it still shows the $100 OBC I got for booking onboard in 2008 so will I have trouble getting it or not? should I bring the invoice with me?

realblonde,

This thread is referring to the special circumstance on the Mariner of the Seas regarding the OBC from RCI for the complete change in itinerary through 6/14/09. This does not affect your cruise.

Colleen

I can understand from their (RCI's) perspective why you cannot take the price drop and keep the OBC. They offered those who were booked on one of the ill-fated mariner cruises OBC and FCC as an incentive if they kept their reservation. Due to many cancellations they have reduced fares to provide incentive for new bookings, to take both would be double dipping. I would equate it automotive incentives, you can take the lower financing or the rebate, not both. If the new rate is that much lower than your booked rate with the OBC why not take advantage of the oportunity to cancel without penalty and re-book at the new rate?

I can fully empathize with those whose plans have been altered. I am booked on the Mariner in August and for a while, because of the search problem on the RC website, thought that we would be doing the PNW itinerary. I would still have gone, at least it would be a little warmer than it is now.

I can understand from their (RCI's) perspective why you cannot take the price drop and keep the OBC. They offered those who were booked on one of the ill-fated mariner cruises OBC and FCC as an incentive if they kept their reservation. Due to many cancellations they have reduced fares to provide incentive for new bookings, to take both would be double dipping. I would equate it automotive incentives, you can take the lower financing or the rebate, not both. If the new rate is that much lower than your booked rate with the OBC why not take advantage of the oportunity to cancel without penalty and re-book at the new rate?

I can fully empathize with those whose plans have been altered. I am booked on the Mariner in August and for a while, because of the search problem on the RC website, thought that we would be doing the PNW itinerary. I would still have gone, at least it would be a little warmer than it is now.

I agree with your analysis. With a "normal" booking, any OBC I've had for booking onboard or shareholder credit has always followed any residency, senior or military discount. But this is a unique situation, and I think that it's perfectly reasonable for RCI to remove the "change of itinerary" OBC if you also take advantage of the new booking rates. That particular OBC is designed to compensate for the inconvenience and to level the playing field, I think, so that somebody who booked months ago wouldn't be out of pocket more than somebody who came in at the new residency rates. Just MHO.

I agree with your analysis. With a "normal" booking, any OBC I've had for booking onboard or shareholder credit has always followed any residency, senior or military discount. But this is a unique situation, and I think that it's perfectly reasonable for RCI to remove the "change of itinerary" OBC if you also take advantage of the new booking rates. That particular OBC is designed to compensate for the inconvenience and to level the playing field, I think, so that somebody who booked months ago wouldn't be out of pocket more than somebody who came in at the new residency rates. Just MHO.

But Jean the problem is that people who booked months ago ARE out of pocket more than someone who came in at the new residency rate. Also, today the lower prices have no residency rate or any kind of other special circumstance attached to them. They are just lower period. And if a passenger who had a paid up booking before the itinerary change requests the lower price that is available to everyone else, they lose the OBC/FCC. Believe me, on the balcony cabins the price drop is much more money than the OBC. That is the problem.

The only reason the OBC was given was to try to keep as many people from canceling as possible. It worked, for awhile at least for many. But after being told one thing, then another and given the runaround I am done. RCI talks out of both sides of its mouth and has some real customer service issues to deal with.

Anyway, for those of you who think you are getting both the lower price AND the OBC/FCC on your Mariner cruise in the next few weeks I have just been given assurance by RCI that that is not the case. If you take the price drop you lose the OBC/FCC. I was on the phone a long time and kept getting the reply even after the RCI agent checked with the Resolutions Dept, her supervisor and others. She just called me back after she said she begged and pleaded and said no they won't give both. I was just lucky they even talked to me since I had a TA. But I made a dummy booking online so I would have a reservation number they would discuss with me.

So now I have instructed my TA to cancel my Mariner Cruise and request a complete refund of my cruise fare, taxes, port charges, insurance, prepaid gratuities, paid up reservations at both Chops and Portofino and a refund on the bottle of Champagne that was to be delivered to my cabin. And as far as my cabin? They can slash the price on that as much as they want to.

Now off to make new vacation reservations for that week.

Colleen

Your OBC's should appear as a line item on your confirmation from RCCL. I have two separate ones on an upcoming sailing on Mariner and they both show. I did not lose the first one when I got the second one. Have your TA give you the client copy of your invoice and make sure they appear there and then bring that with you on the ship.

Teresa

If the new residency rate is that much lower and you still want to take the cruise I would take advantage of the cancel with no penalty option and rebook. There sometimes appears to be no rhyme or reason to pricing, for my cruise there was a residency discount of $200pp, unfortunately the 3rd pax rate was $349.00 higher with the residency rate than with the standard rate. In total I only save $50.00. While that makes no real sense I understand that the reason they are taking away the OBC/FCC if you rebook as it was given as an incentive for you to keep your ressie.

But Jean the problem is that people who booked months ago ARE out of pocket more than someone who came in at the new residency rate. Also, today the lower prices have no residency rate or any kind of other special circumstance attached to them. They are just lower period. And if a passenger who had a paid up booking before the itinerary change requests the lower price that is available to everyone else, they lose the OBC/FCC. Believe me, on the balcony cabins the price drop is much more money than the OBC. That is the problem.

The only reason the OBC was given was to try to keep as many people from canceling as possible. It worked, for awhile at least for many. But after being told one thing, then another and given the runaround I am done. RCI talks out of both sides of its mouth and has some real customer service issues to deal with.

But if you cancel & rebook (the red part) aren't you on equal footing with the new bookers now? Not that I don't enjoy a good OBC, but it would be double dipping at that point, unless I'm missing something. If it's lower for a residency discount, well, I've been on the losing end of that when it was offered to residents of other states but not for California. Oh, well, we'll agree to disagree on this one, I think. I would rather be in Hawaii than on Mariner right now - I love the revised itinerary, but they have serious health issues onboard. But that's right - I can't go anyway because I'll be in ITALY!:D sorry, had to bring that up.

But I do agree with you that they aren't good at disseminating information to their troops and it does show in some lousy customer service sometimes. Sorry you're going through the angst.

But if you cancel & rebook (the red part) aren't you on equal footing with the new bookers now? Not that I don't enjoy a good OBC, but it would be double dipping at that point, unless I'm missing something. If it's lower for a residency discount, well, I've been on the losing end of that when it was offered to residents of other states but not for California. Oh, well, we'll agree to disagree on this one, I think. I would rather be in Hawaii than on Mariner right now - I love the revised itinerary, but they have serious health issues onboard. But that's right - I can't go anyway because I'll be in ITALY!:D sorry, had to bring that up.

But I do agree with you that they aren't good at disseminating information to their troops and it does show in some lousy customer service sometimes. Sorry you're going through the angst.

Well, actually there is more to it and some people did get to keep the lower price and the OBC and I was told I would also then told not, etc. But I am so over that. It isn't worth my time anymore.

Well, I was looking into the Hawaii trip, because we had the air from DFW to LA and then my husband said, well we can do whatever we want, right? We don't have to keep the air plans(frequent flyer miles used). So we are thinking of doing a week in Europe then. If I am going to be on a plane that long I would rather go to Europe as well. Maybe even a cruise in Europe since we just have a week. We did the Med on the Voyager in November and we loved Italy so we may do another one on a different cruise line. So we may end up in Italy as well!

(Actually maybe I should thank RCI for handling this so poorly because now I just might be cruising in the Med!)

Have a great trip,

Colleen

Archived