RevNeal - LIVE from the Ryndam & Amsterdam

RevNeal

Following breakfast and a quite morning my mother and I went down to A deck and boarded a tender for a quiet, calm ride from the ship to shore. The bay was still, and so the ride was smooth. From the tender pier ashore I had a lovely view of the ms Amsterdam, at anchor out in the harbor:

sitka06.jpg

Our tour took us, first, to the Sitka National Historical Park, where we enjoyed a walk through the Rain Forest, where we viewing the Historic Totem Poles, the Russian vs. Native American battle sites, and the cultural center where we learned about the various native American tribes who populated the area.

sitka07.jpg

sitka08.jpg

sitka09.jpg

When we came to the Battleground of 1804 site, while everybody else was listening to the story of the conflict between the Russians and the Tlingit Indians, I was busy taking pictures of the ms Amsterdam, which was visible right in front of us out in the bay.

sitka10.jpg

CONTINUED....

From the National Park we traveled across Sitka, learning more of the history of the city both before and after Statehood. We then visited the Raptor Center and got to view some of the amazing birds ... including Bald Eagles, like Sitka, seen in the following photos perched on the arm of one of one of the care givers.

sitka13.jpg

sitka14.jpg

sitka15.jpg

Also seen were several other eagles:

sitka16.jpg

sitka17.jpg

There were other birds at the center and I enjoyed seeing them, but I'm always brought back to the majesty and dignity of these American Bald Eagles. They are incredibly beautiful birds and it is obvious why they were chosen as a symbol of the United States.

CONTINUED ...

From the Raptor center we went to enjoy the Russian Dancers perform many traditional Russian Folk dances; these ladies were very good, especially considering that they are not, themselves, Russian. From the dancers we went to tour the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Michael, which I greatly enjoyed.

sitka18.jpg

sitka19.jpg

sitka20.jpg

sitka21.jpg

All-in-all, Sitka is a great port with lots of things to do and see and I look forward to coming back to see more on a future cruise to Alaska.

Hey Rev, probably not much lap swimming going on in AK but were the seaview/aft pools on Ryndam and Amsterdam 'Adults Only"? Any of them there permanent signs in place; take any pics? ;)

As you well know, the permanent sign on both the Amsterdam and the Ryndam reads: "Children under 14 require adult supervision" and "No diapered children." As I demonstrated, it is the Noordam that has the flat-out prohibition posted.

On the Ryndam, however, the "Children under 14 require adult supervision" statement has been covered up with a "No children" statement.

Pictures? Yes, of course.

If you have time to answer this.....How many people were on the whale watch with you or should I say, how many people would the boat hold? I'm always interested in companies I haven't used since I might want to use them in the future.

16 of us were in the boat, and it was full.

Thanks again for the pictures of the cabin. Unless we are offered a great upgrade deal we will stick with the Cabin. I have no problem with the black-out curtains. You have a talent for photography. Hope to sail with you sometime. So far next year it is only the 14 day Amsterdam to Alaska on Sept. 6th. Probably throw in another 7dayer before that.:)

A few years ago, like about 8 years ago I was in Sitka on Memorial Day and saw and eagle purched on one of the arms of the Cross at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Of course I had left the camera back on the ship.

Thank you for the photos and daily reports. It's fun to read about the fun you and your Mom are having!!! Were you surprised at how ornate the inside of the Cathedral of St. Michael was inside? It looks so simple on the exterior. Cherie

Thank you for continuing to post these magnificent pics. Hubbard Glacier is so beautiful! When I saw it in early June, it was a cold, windy, and rainy day. It was hard to be out on deck and the view was nothing like what you saw.

Mom (86) and I have decided to go on Westerdam instead of Amsterdam, but we can't book until she is feeling better. She was on Westerdam in April, so she would prefer going on Amsterdam. Because of a wedding on Sat., we need to sail on Sunday, Sept. 6.

Thanks again for the pictures of the cabin. Unless we are offered a great upgrade deal we will stick with the Cabin. I have no problem with the black-out curtains. You have a talent for photography. Hope to sail with you sometime. So far next year it is only the 14 day Amsterdam to Alaska on Sept. 6th. Probably throw in another 7dayer before that.:)

I would certainly book this cabin, though after getting a look at cabin 6100 I think I would book it ahead of this one ... it has more useable floor space but only 1 window.

I'd love to do that 14 day Alaska cruise on September 6 in 2010, but my schedule for next year is already filled.

Rev. Neal... Were any of the bald eagles named Volta? Just wondered if he was still there... He had an encounter with some electrical wires and thus his name... :rolleyes: Thanks. Cindy

I don't remember hearing that name ... sorry. Good name for a bird, though!

A few years ago, like about 8 years ago I was in Sitka on Memorial Day and saw and eagle purched on one of the arms of the Cross at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Of course I had left the camera back on the ship.

Ah, yes ... a bird of "pray." :D ;)

Ar Ar!

Thank you for the photos and daily reports. It's fun to read about the fun you and your Mom are having!!! Were you surprised at how ornate the inside of the Cathedral of St. Michael was inside? It looks so simple on the exterior. Cherie

Not really. Russian Orthodox Churches tend to be that way regardless of what their exteriors look like. :) In fact, it was obvious that the fire ruined a truly lovely church and that the rebuild, while based on the same floor plan, simply isn't as ornate as the original. The original Iconostasis -- which is part of what they saved from the fire that destroyed the original building -- gives one the impression of how nice the finished product was.

Rev Neal, Thank you for taking us all along with you. Your photos are beautiful. Do you have any of the interior public areas of the Amsterdam (especially of the "Four Seasons" from the Niew Amsterdam of 1938)? We going on her in a month and your posts have whetted our appetites:)

As you well know, the permanent sign on both the Amsterdam and the Ryndam reads: "Children under 14 require adult supervision" and "No diapered children." As I demonstrated, it is the Noordam that has the flat-out prohibition posted.

On the Ryndam, however, the "Children under 14 require adult supervision" statement has been covered up with a "No children" statement.

Pictures? Yes, of course.

Yes, I do know that one but I was actually asking about the "Adults Only" signs that you photographed on Noordam. Just wondering if those are spreading throughout the aft pool decks in the fleet.................but, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things!

I also wanted to thank you, Rev, for taking us all along on two great Alaska cruises and a myriad of really awesome pics of that state! You mum can be proud of her son! Have a save journey home!

While in Sitka did you make it to the Bishop's House? It's a quick walk from the Russian Dancers, and very near the tender dock. It's worth a look-see.

Anyway, this has all been so nice, and yet over all too quickly. Safe journey home to you and your Mom.

Greg, thanks so much for taking the time to post your Alaska adventures. It brought back great memories and I love your pictures. My best Alaska adventure was the 4 glacier helicopter ride and dog sledding in Juneau.

By the way Greg, I'm still hoping for pictures from the Good Nuts cruise. Safe home.

Greg, thanks so much for taking the time to post your Alaska adventures. It brought back great memories and I love your pictures. My best Alaska adventure was the 4 glacier helicopter ride and dog sledding in Juneau.

By the way Greg, I'm still hoping for pictures from the Good Nuts cruise. Safe home.

Ditto from me, too, Greg...I check weekly to see if you've posted your photos from the Good Nuts Cruise!

Hope you and your Mom have a safe journey home to Texas!

Hey Reverend Neal. I just found you here. We were on the Noordam together in January 2007. Glad you are having a great time. We have booked the Eurodam for December 26. Nice to see you again.

Ditto from me, too, Greg...I check weekly to see if you've posted your photos from the Good Nuts Cruise!

Me three. :( I told him he couldn't take these cruises unless he had completed the pictures from the Noordam. See how well he listens to his other "mother". :rolleyes:

Archived