Hotel in barcelona, where did you stay?

Where did you stay when in Barcelona? Will be spending a few nights there and hope I can get some recommendations where to stay fairly close to the port. Please tell me if there are any hotels you wouldn't stay at again too! Thanks for your help.

Hi i havent stayed in Barcelona before but i will be travelling there in July to go on The Brilliance.I have booked a 2 night stay at this hotel.Its quite reasonable for our family of 3 and they have a shuttle bus to and from the port.Its worth a look.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bcnbr-renaissance-barcelona-airport-hotel/

Holly, I stayed at the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas. Others have stayed and given it a good recommendation. It includes free internet, soda, beer, water in the lobby, continental breakfast, snacks and very good location. I walked to the HOHO bus from the hotel. The staff was great. It is one flight up from the street, so you have to take the stairs, but they will let you use the staff elevator if you have to bring luggage up or down.

The taxi to the port is pretty inexpensive from what I remember - maybe 25 euros.

We stayed twice at Hotel Continental last year, on Las Ramblas or there is their sister hotel a bit further away - Hotel Palacette.

The Continental is steps from Cataluna Square and the airport shuttle drop off or buses or subway. There is a big grocery store in the basement of the Dept. store at the Square, also drug store etc. as well.

Not a fancy hotel but free food and drinks!!!! Look at their web site.

Very popular with cruisers. Very helpful staff too.

Beware of pick pockets, we had no purse or wallet on us, just waist pouch things. They are very good!!!! We stopped one in the Hop on Hop off line up, they watch the crowds.

Barcelona is great though, have fun!! We took the Ho Ho bus for a 2 day pass and saw lots.

what do you mean the hotel is one flight up from the street???? don't understand that. I am from NY. I am also going on a cruise leaving from Barcelona and need a hotel on Las Ramblas

what do you mean the hotel is one flight up from the street???? don't understand that. I am from NY. I am also going on a cruise leaving from Barcelona and need a hotel on Las Ramblas

You enter through the doors, then you have to walk up a flight of steps to get to the lobby.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar, which is close to the port. It was quite luxurious and the service was great. It is also in front of a large 3 story shopping mall (that also has a supermarket inside) with plenty of restaurants at the mall. On the other side is the Mediterranean Sea. They gave us a water view, which was wonderful. The breakfast was included in our rate and it was quite yummy. I'd stay there again in a minute.:)

Another plug for Hotel Continental.

We just finished our second stay there. Love it.

As for the entry, you can actually catch the elevator from the street level. There is an option for the HC Reception area. You don't have to use the steps.

Nice continental breakfast in the morning w/ some hot foods as well. A few tapas in the afternoon, and soda, beer, wine, water, milk coffee available for free 24/7. Free internet for guests of the hotel in the lobby.

Staff is very friendly and helpful and as noted prior, just steps from Placa Catalunya, the HoHo bus, as well as the Ramblas Metro station.

As a side note, IMHO, the easiest (and cheapest) way from there to the airport is via the Aerobus. The stop is on Placa Catalunya (around the corner to the right-across from Corte Ingles department store) from the hotel-- about a 2 minute stroll with the luggage. Total is 4.20Euro per person and it takes about 30 minutes. There are a total of 4 stops, but P.C. is the beginning of the run, so you will get a seat. Busses run at a minimium every 1/2 hour.

Jay

We stayed at the Atrium Palace a few years ago and liked it. It is near Catalunya Square so you would need to take a cab to the port. However, unless you are on a small boat that can go into the old port, you would need a cab anyway since the new port is a long walk from the city.

We stayed at the Hotel America for a few nights a couple of years ago. On the upside they offer the use of a Smart Car for 4 hours. They had an excellent breakfast. The downside was with the windows open there is some street noise at night. Remember many hotels in Europe don't have A/C. Some that say they do... don't function as well as we are used to in the USA. The hotel was a 10 minute walk to the Ramblas tops. Lots of restaurants, shops, pharmacies, and bars next door. We walked all over the city, but please be aware of your surroundings, Barcelona is a beautiful even spectacular city, but petty street crime is a fact of life, especially on Las Ramblas near the old port.

jc

What style of hotel are you looking for?

We haven't cruised out of Barcelona but visited a few days during a Europe trip a few years back. We stayed in a private room at Hostal Fernando for 55E w/ WC (has both private and dorm). Looks like it's gone up to 60-75E now. It's a few blocks off Las Ramblas. Basic accommodations but we found it to be clean, safe, and friendly.

If you're looking for budget hotels, we found Eurocheapo to be a great resource. We also found Madridman (expat living in Spain) to have great tips for Spain in general.

We were really concerned about pick pockets on Las Ramblas based on what we read (lots of dirty tricks like helping clean a stain on your clothes, pile ups at the end of an escalator, etc) but luckily didn't run into any issues. Have to stay aware tho.

You enter through the doors, then you have to walk up a flight of steps to get to the lobby.

We stayed at the Continental in March and used the elevator up and down unless we didn't want to wait for it.

It is a great hotel....a little funky and very pink, but very clean. The beds are a little hard, but they are still surprisingly comfortable and the buffet was great. If you are really watching your pennies, you could eat all your meals there at the complimentary buffet(24 hours). We were in Room 142 which is one of the "new " rooms since they did some remodeling about a year ago. We liked it...it has a small balcony overlooking La Rambla and a nice bathroom. The room is not huge (probably about 12 feet square or so), but many European hotel rooms are smaller than what we are used to here in the US. This room was quiet and very convenient to the reception area, buffet and elevator. We would definitely stay at the Continental again!

We stayed at the Hotel Palacette (sister to Hotel Continental) and found it quite pleasant. The rooms are small but are well kept. They also offer a "buffet". But keep you expectations in check. In the morning it is sufficient for breakfast as it offered items a step above "continental breakfasts" but less than full breakfasts. Later in the day, the items change and would suffice for a snack or a light mid-day meal. There is also a help your self beverage cooler (beer, sodas, water) and dispensers for milk and wine.

There are 4 or 5 taxis always stationed out the front door (it is on an intersection) anad within a block of the Las Ramblas district.

Staff was very nice. After an overnight flight we got to the hotel around 9am, the checkin clerk said instead of storing your bags (while we started to touring), if you are willing to wait 10 or 15 minutes I believe we will have a room ready. He checked with housekeeping and confirmed this. Sure enough, we were in our room 15 minutes later.

Definitely would recommend this hotel.

I just got back on Monday from an 11 night on the Brilliance out of Barc. We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer just off the Placa Catulyna (sp?) and incredibly close to La Ramblas. Their sister hotel, Hotel Regina was right next door and I've heard it is wonderful as well.

The Pulitzer was great--we had super comfy beds, a small terrace, the room was well organized and made great use of the small space. We had robes, slippers (which we took and used in our stateroom on the cruise ;)) and toiletries. The bathroom was quite large as well. We didn't choose to include the buffet breakfast, but it is available, and cheaper if you add it to your room rate when booking. We ate at the Starbucks, right around the corner each morning. The HOHO bus stop was seconds from the hotel and we had an abundance of shops right outside. The hotel staff spoke excellent english and fulfilled every request we made. They also ordered us a taxi to the pier.

Enjoy your cruise/stay in Barcelona. It is a wonderful city, we wished we had more time to enjoy it!! No problems with pickpockets and I highly recommend the HOHO tourist bus if you are short on time and want to see the city. :)

We just 3 days ago returned from Barcelona and visited friends staying in hotel Continental and they are renovating and the lobby currently is on the 4th floor. There are 3 hotels in the building and although it is a 3 star it isn't up to a 3 star here in the States.

Last year we stayed at the Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya. It was a very nice property. There was a supermarket adjacent to the hotel and the subway was less than a 5 minute walk. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Where did you stay when in Barcelona? Will be spending a few nights there and hope I can get some recommendations where to stay fairly close to the port. Please tell me if there are any hotels you wouldn't stay at again too! Thanks for your help.

We did cruise out of Barcelona end of November last year. We stayed at the Eurostar Grand Marina (obviously right on the water) one of the cruise ships docks right there... not sure which one - we were on the NCL Jade and it wasn't that one :rolleyes: This hotel is a 5 star normally $200+ per night however we snagged it for - are you ready? - $66 through Orbitz. Keep checking those websites. The hotel was located about 10 min. walk to Las Ramblas...which was great. Post cruise we stayed right in Las Ramblas across from the Cathedral at Hotel Colon (a little more old fashioned but still very nice for about $120 a night). Have a great time - Barcelona is fabulous (just watch out for pickpockets:eek:)

[/font]

We did cruise out of Barcelona end of November last year. We stayed at the Eurostar Grand Marina (obviously right on the water) one of the cruise ships docks right there... not sure which one - we were on the NCL Jade and it wasn't that one :rolleyes: This hotel is a 5 star normally $200+ per night however we snagged it for - are you ready? - $66 through Orbitz. Keep checking those websites. The hotel was located about 10 min. walk to Las Ramblas...which was great. Post cruise we stayed right in Las Ramblas across from the Cathedral at Hotel Colon (a little more old fashioned but still very nice for about $120 a night). Have a great time - Barcelona is fabulous (just watch out for pickpockets:eek:)

[/font]

Hi

I booked it for in law for their 30th annivesary while we were cruising with Disney for Med. 07. This hotel is so beautiful but expensive but worthing..

I know Barcelona is a beautiful place and dont miss the waterfall Monjici...also very high crime as they are very good with picpockets...

Please aware of it...

We are going back next year and I cannot wait to see Barcelona...

Scottishwee35

FILANGOOD: My family and I will be on the same cruise. You should check out the Roll Call forum for some great information and learn about joining in on the Meet & Mingle for the cruise. Also, we are looking for another family to join us in some private tours and I have posted the information in that forum as well.

Karen

Check it out here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773788

Archived