Lock or Don't Lock

cfc525

We are not flying, we are taking a bus to NY that was set up by the TA. Should we lock our luggage or is that a no no because it will go through a check point when boarding. Haven't cruised in quite awhile, what should we do :confused:

If you really want to lock it, you can buy a TSA lock; then they can open it at the airport, with the TSA corresponding key. They make ones that will alert you that TSA has used the key by having a red part pop up if they were opened by TSA, they're usually a combination lock for you with a key hole in the bottom for TSA.

I would lock it!

On the cruise line they will ask you to unlock it if they want to look inside.

We drive to the port & lock ours before we hand it over to the porters.

As others have said I would go ahead and lock your luggage both on embarkation day and right before you place your luggage outside the door on disembarkation day. We started doing this a few years ago after various friends had items taken out of their luggage. While someone can still cut the locks to get inside they are more likely to open up luggage that does not have any locks on it.

Keith

Always lock your things!!!!! Why would you let your stuff be open to anyone who wants to "paw" through it! Even if you put nothing of value in there, LOCK them! Anytime your bags are not in your possession, they should be locked.

You can buy Masterlocks at Wal-mart or any hardware store--in packs so that you only need 1 key for all the locks. They aren't expensive and last and last!!!!!

Agree with posters above. Lock before putting your luggage on the ship, as well

as when putting your luggage outside your cabin for disembarkation.

HOWEVER, it is still recommended that you put items of value and necessity

in a carry-on bag ! Items such as all medications - jewelry - cameras -

laptops, etc.

I don't bother locking them. If it is a suitcase with a zipper, it is extremely fast and easy to pry open the zipper with a common pen. Takes no longer to do this than to unzip it. The most expensive lock in the world won't do a thing.

A good rule of thumb is to put all valuables in your carry ons. IMHO locks on suitcase provide a false sense of security and might even make your suitcase a target as a thief may believe there is something of value inside.

In 30 years of overseas travel, I have always have locked my luggage and never had customs or any other form of security bust my locks. Customs usually have a whole load of master keys anyway that unlock most brands of luggage if they want to get in to them.

On one occasion when my brother was flying for a short break to Pragus, he was allowed to fly out with his holdall as hand baggage. on the way back (same bag, same weight), they insisted at check in that it would have to be checked in. he had no means of locking it at the time and didn't ahve time to do something about it or would have missed his flight, so he reluctantly handed it over. When he got it home, he discovered that his rayban sunglasses and Canon camera had both been stolen from it - no doubt opportunist baggage handlers.

When i am JUST sailing, i use locks..................when i fly i use cable ties. the TSA has been known to cut off even TSA locks....:rolleyes:

do NOT put meds or valuables in your checked bags....EVER!

I'm curious, how do you cut the cable ties off when you arrive at your destination? I'm wondering since you can't carry scissors onboard now. Knowing my luck, I wouldn't be able to get into the luggage until I got back home and, well, that defeats the purpose! LOL

I have the new TSA alert locks; and on my last overseas flight the alert was showing that TSA had accessed the lock on my checked bag. They also left a note inside informing me of it. I guess my hair straightener looked like something funny? That was the only thing in there other than shoes and clothes; so maybe that looked suspicious? Nothing was missing.

In 30 years of overseas travel, I have always have locked my luggage and never had customs or any other form of security bust my locks. Customs usually have a whole load of master keys anyway that unlock most brands of luggage if they want to get in to them.

On one occasion when my brother was flying for a short break to Pragus, he was allowed to fly out with his holdall as hand baggage. on the way back (same bag, same weight), they insisted at check in that it would have to be checked in. he had no means of locking it at the time and didn't ahve time to do something about it or would have missed his flight, so he reluctantly handed it over. When he got it home, he discovered that his rayban sunglasses and Canon camera had both been stolen from it - no doubt opportunist baggage handlers.

That's horrible! Unfortunately, even if it was locked those same items would probably be missing from a checked bag! $10 and $20 locks aren't going to stop someone who knows (x-ray machine) there's something valuable in there!

I'm curious, how do you cut the cable ties off when you arrive at your destination? I'm wondering since you can't carry scissors onboard now. Knowing my luck, I wouldn't be able to get into the luggage until I got back home and, well, that defeats the purpose!

While I think that small scissors are now OK, we take a pair of fingernail clippers. They snip a cable ty (zip ty) quite well.

Clippers go thru TSA security with no problems.

For us, cable ties keep zippers from opening and keep casual thieves at bay just as a lock does. The TSA will clip cable ties, do their inspection and replace the tie with one of their own.

A determined thief will have any locked/unlocked bag open in 5 seconds.

When i am JUST sailing, i use locks..................when i fly i use cable ties. the TSA has been known to cut off even TSA locks....:rolleyes:

do NOT put meds or valuables in your checked bags....EVER!

I like the idea of cable ties, I never heard of that one before. Why haven't we thought of that, we have a canister full of them...all sizes and colors.

Thank you :)

We don't bother to lock and never have lost anything, locks just keep the honest out....if anyone really wants into you bag the locks won't keep them out. Some time ago there was a thread where people used small zap straps on the luggage, the theory being that you at least knew someone had been in you bag.

I've used zip ties as well as twist ties just to keep luggage from coming open. When I was on a school trip in high school, one of the kids suitcases had come open on the luggage belt, empty suitcase, so going around the carousel was his empty suitcase, some clothes, then a shoe, a toothbrush, more clothes, a hairbrush... Not sure if he recovered enough to make it through the week, or not. I'd rather not suffer them embarasment, in any case, so I try to secure my zippers.

Not locking your luggage went out with not locking your house.

Why make it easier for an opportunist?

Because locks don't make it any more difficult for a thief to get inside your luggage. The lock does not make the zipper any more secure. A simple pen can pry open the zipper in a mere second. It would be like if the door to your home was made out of paper, yet you locked it.

Same principle as locking a convertible - I am a stickler for locking my cars wherever I go, regardless of how long I'm going to be away, yet I leave my old Jeep Wrangler convertible unlocked all the time - the reasoning being that you can open a Jeep window from the outside in less time than it takes to dig your keys out of your pocket.

I go back and forth on locking (with zip-ties, not padlocks) my luggage, as TSA does need access. . .but thieves are everywhere. . .I don't know, I'd say do whatever makes YOU most comfortable.

Archived