Do you ever miss some of the old itineraries and ship choices?

This is mainly a question for the Caribbean cruisers, Europe has some great ships and itinerary choices now! But do any of you miss any of the old itineraries and ships in the Caribbean? Like the Navigator and Explorer with the Eastern Caribbean cruises that called in San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau on the last day? Or the Explorer's Western cruise that called in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman?

At this point I'm just glad to have the ships that we do in the Caribbean, but they've been offering the same Labadee, Ocho Rios, GC, and Cozumel itinerary for years and years now without really switching it up at all, but all of the Eastern Caribbean cruises are pretty much 3 1/2 days at sea now. Same with Oasis, both have few ports and they are all pretty generic ports.

I guess I need to try Southern. I just miss the Voyager class ships in the Caribbean and some of their choices I guess :p.

The fewer ports are just one more example of RCI cut-backs. Slowing down a ship, which can be accomplished by eliminating ports, saves substantial quanities RCI is not the only line making these changes. We were recently on a 26 Noordam cruise where they took 8 days to do the transatlantic portion (which made us very happy). However, it would have been possible for them to do that same crossing in 6 days, but at the expense of thousands of tons of fuel.

Hank

I miss the days where the majority of Caribbean cruises were 7 nights. Now it's all about 3- 4- 5- and 6-nights. The last time I cruised prior to 2/09 was 2/02 and I don't recall ever seeing 5- and 6-nighters. Blech!

My husband and I love RCCL but are getting tired of the same Caribbean ports. We were excited last year to have a VERY SHORT stop over in San Juan. It was a very lovely city but didn't have enough time to do much as far as touring goes. How sad!

It would be easy enough to take other ships to other locations but we prefer to not have the added expense of flying to another port. There are just so many islands that would be possible to visit. Whatever happened to Freeport? In all of my cruising I've never been there. Perhaps it isn't a good stopover. Would give anything to have a ship that would go to Bermuda that sails out of Florida. It would even be nice to go to some of the Southern Caribbean ports. Maybe you could go to only two and spend the rest of the time cruising. We used to spend the night in ports, what happened with that? Did that once in Cozumel, LOVED IT. Lights were so beautiful. People could experience the night life on the island and we would leave late the next afternoon. Guess there are so many ships now that need the space that staying overnight is impossible. The Abacos were nice as well as Port Lacaya.........whatever happened to them?

I miss the days where the majority of Caribbean cruises were 7 nights. Now it's all about 3- 4- 5- and 6-nights. The last time I cruised prior to 2/09 was 2/02 and I don't recall ever seeing 5- and 6-nighters. Blech!

I thought most of RCI's Caribbean cruises were 7 nights. :confused: Freedom, Liberty, Oasis, Adventure, Enchantment, Serenade and Voyager all offer seven night Caribbean cruises, Independence alternates between 6 and 8 night itineraries.

I thought most of RCI's Caribbean cruises were 7 nights. :confused: Freedom, Liberty, Oasis, Adventure, Enchantment, Serenade and Voyager all offer seven night Caribbean cruises, Independence alternates between 6 and 8 night itineraries.

It seems like everytime I look, I see so many that are less than seven nights. Maybe I just notice them more because I'm less interested in taking them?

Unfortunately, it is a matter of fact that a large percentage of travelers are taking shorter vacations and it is only natural that the cruiselines are going to adjust their itineraries to serve the majority. However, if you look carefully at RCI's itineraries you will still find many cruises of seven days or longer. Our TA from Harwich to Boston this year is 12 nights and next year it is 13 nights. (In 2002 it was 7 nights with no ports of call:D). The Jewel Repo is 10 nights this October and longer in 2010 and if you check out some of the Jewel's itineraries you will find longer cruises that visit ports that you are unlikely to see on a 7 night cruise. On Navigator of the Seas, this year its three and four night cruises could be combined so that you could visit a number of different ports of call. Vision of the Seas offered two totally different seven night itineraries out of Santo Domingo allowing someone to cruise for 14 days and visit different ports on each sailing. They are out there if you look for them. The lines are in the business of pleasing the most passengers and sometimes that may not suit us as individuals but it is necessary for their survival.

Unfortunately, it is a matter of fact that a large percentage of travelers are taking shorter vacations and it is only natural that the cruiselines are going to adjust their itineraries to serve the majority. However, if you look carefully at RCI's itineraries you will still find many cruises of seven days or longer. Our TA from Harwich to Boston this year is 12 nights and next year it is 13 nights. (In 2002 it was 7 nights with no ports of call:D). The Jewel Repo is 10 nights this October and longer in 2010 and if you check out some of the Jewel's itineraries you will find longer cruises that visit ports that you are unlikely to see on a 7 night cruise. On Navigator of the Seas, this year its three and four night cruises could be combined so that you could visit a number of different ports of call. Vision of the Seas offered two totally different seven night itineraries out of Santo Domingo allowing someone to cruise for 14 days and visit different ports on each sailing. They are out there if you look for them. The lines are in the business of pleasing the most passengers and sometimes that may not suit us as individuals but it is necessary for their survival.

Unfortunately with this economy, ANY cruise is out for me this year but even normally, I can't really go above 7 or 8 nights. (Although I do remember the Vision 14-nighter was RIDICULOUSLY cheap when I looked at it this year...it was $399 for inside. Are you kidding me? However, the airfare killed THAT deal. Grrrr.

Good to know I can do a Navigator B2B with different ports. In Feb I did a Majesty B2B and went to the same places! :p

Thanks for all the info.

Prior to 2008, my last cruises were aboard Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas. These were taken 20-ish years ago when I was a kid. My sister and I have talked about how we kind of miss the smaller ships. Although we love the amenities and activities of the current ships, sometimes its nice to have a smaller one. One with less people and less of a chance of running into cranky cruisers! We also really enjoyed Cozumel as a stop.

Prior to 2008, my last cruises were aboard Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas. These were taken 20-ish years ago when I was a kid. My sister and I have talked about how we kind of miss the smaller ships. Although we love the amenities and activities of the current ships, sometimes its nice to have a smaller one. One with less people and less of a chance of running into cranky cruisers! We also really enjoyed Cozumel as a stop.

Then again, if you are on a smaller ship and those cranky cruisers are also onboard, you have fewer ways to avoid them, fewer places to hide, and a greater likelihood of running into them, again, and again, and again.:D

I actually prefer to only have three ports of call on a seven day cruise. I love sea days. I wouldn't mind if they switched up the ports or introduced some new ones.

I like it too, but it would be nice to have some variety. We'll be out of new routes after Liberty this summer.

This is mainly a question for the Caribbean cruisers, Europe has some great ships and itinerary choices now! But do any of you miss any of the old itineraries and ships in the Caribbean? Like the Navigator and Explorer with the Eastern Caribbean cruises that called in San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau on the last day? Or the Explorer's Western cruise that called in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman?

those were ports on my first & only itinerary.

Yeah I think it overwhelms the current itineraries for sure.

Me, too. And I don't like that the Puerto Vallarta stop on the MR itinerary is only until 8:00. I have yet to see the Rhythms of the Night at Las Caletas.

When we went on Holland America's Oosterdam we didn't leave P.V. until 10:30 at night. We had early dining onboard and still had time for one more run through town after.

I wanted to try the 10 and 11 night "Circle the Caribbean" on the Splendour / Legend class ships. Now, not only have they changed the itineraries, they sent my favorite ships away to Singapore and Dubai, leaving us with only the monsters.

You definitely need to try southern!! No question!

I posted on this topic a while back. While some blame cut-backs, I think the other issue is the enormous ships RCL has in the eastern and western Caribbean. The less developed ports can't handle the mega-ships and all their passengers. I think there are only 5-6 ports in the eastern and western Caribbean combined that will accept Oasis/Allure sized ships.

I think RCL is counting on people sailing with them based on their innovative ships. While I know that there are some people for whom the ship IS the destination, I believe there are more of us who want to vary our itineraries and see new places. One of the benefits of a cruise vacation is getting to visit multiple destinations on one trip.

There are a LOT of close-together ports of call in the southern Caribbean. I highly recommend you try that area. I'll be taking my third cruise in the south in March and will visit two islands I've never seen before. It would be impossible for me to cruise in the eastern or western Caribbean and visit a brand new port. And how often can you really swim with those sting rays in Grand Cayman??

I miss the Rhapsody out of Galveston. I hated the Key West run and it really did cause a lot of problems as it was there non stop for nearly two year. When they finally changed it, that was much better. I never get tired of Cozumel, but don't really care for the Caymans.

Now all that being said (rant over for now about the loss of a year round ship out of the gulf coast) CUBA is not to far off. That will really sting some ports that have not been well liked (Jamaica, Bahama, ect) There will be a mad scramble for ports I am sure when Cuba opens up.

At this point I'm just glad to have the ships that we do in the Caribbean, but they've been offering the same Labadee, Ocho Rios, GC, and Cozumel itinerary for years and years now without really switching it up at all, but all of the Eastern Caribbean cruises are pretty much 3 1/2 days at sea now. Same with Oasis, both have few ports and they are all pretty generic ports.

I guess I need to try Southern. I just miss the Voyager class ships in the Caribbean and some of their choices I guess :p.

To me, the more variety the better. San Juan is not a great POC, IMHO. Nassau is good, but somewhat played out for me.

Go Southern!! We never, ever get sick of the southern itinerary. Love sailing out of San Juan and you have your choice of AOS or Serenade depending on what time of year you go. We cannot wait to do the B2B on Serenade in 2011 and it will be our 3rd time on that ship.

Some years we go for the ship (Liberty and Oasis) and some for the itins - Southern. So just depends on what we want to do. But if the newer ships went out of San Juan, we probably would never do anything but the Southern route. Perfect beaches, water, sand, sun ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I want to go back NOW!!:D

Archived