Frommer's Comment on Med Cruise

drcpa

that is a great commentary and so true, but yet positive. still looking forward to our "non-travel", intro to the Mediterranean on the Equinox! The Baltic was exactly that, but very awesome.

We have taken more than 1/2 dozen European cruises -- returned to many ports 2, 3 and possibly 4 times over the years. We have also travelled and stayed in many European cities for anywhere from a few days to a week or more. Each time we return to a city or port we do something different on our own, we avoid tours. My husband is from Europe so he speaks many languages which does help us explore on our own.

Consequently, I don't really agree with the comments in this review. It is possible to really enjoy visiting a port or city for a few hours, if you don't have the mind set this will be the only time you visit and try to see it all at once.

Cruising given the "value" of the dollar against the euro is a very good value.

I don't disagree with the article and had considered that drawback when I booked our Europe trip for our family of 4 (via a Med cruise). The big reason we did a Med cruise was that it simplified the planning for us and helped prevent the inevitable meltdown/argument that would occur with our family --say somewhere in the middle of Italy. I wanted the kids to remember the Sistine Chapel and not "the time that Dad got really mad"......

We've done both land and cruise vacations to Europe, and I don't agree with the author's opinions in this article...especially when he says, "Don't call it travel." With a pre and/or post cruise stay tacked onto your Med cruise, and careful planning for each port, it can be just as interesting (if not more so) than a land vacation. I think his is a pretty narrow-minded view of cruising in the Med, and although he does say he enjoyed it, I think he could have had an even better experience with some advance planning on how to get around in port and what to see.:)

I agree with almost everything he says in the article and that is exactly why I am taking the Med cruise. I do in fact want a taste of everything. We were really uncertain where we wanted to go and the cruise gave us an opportunity to see many things on one vacation. It will help me decide if I wish to spend more time in one of the locations visited.

The one thing I totally disagree with is that the cruise is like a motor coach tour. That is as wrong as it could be. For one, on my cruise I get to unpack once and pack once, not every day for 12 days. My cruise will allow me to go back to the same room every night and get ready for the evening and next day. I call that convenience.

The packing issue is what draws us to a Med cruise for our next adventure. We spent two weeks on an Italian bus tour and although it was amazing, the unpacking and packing proved to be a beating. But it was extremely well-organized and we enjoyed the heck out of Italy.

The 'travel vs. tourism' debate is a familiar one. I think most of us here would agree that travel is a subjective means of entertainment, and that we all have different priorities and ways of going about our leisure.

I once heard Arthur Frommer on the radio with fellow guidebook writer Rick Steves, talking about how cruising once meant folks throwing coins overboard and taking pictures of the "little dark kids" diving into the water for them. The implication was that somehow today's cruising has roots in such arrogant traditions. Can anyone shed some light on whether this practice ever existed?

Kind of a superior tone & attitude in the article--whose to say what travel is for everyone...we enjoy the cruise format--some of the places we visited we were not sad to leave after one day in port--others we may re-visit But to us it is travel....

I once heard Arthur Frommer on the radio with fellow guidebook writer Rick Steves, talking about how cruising once meant folks throwing coins overboard and taking pictures of the "little dark kids" diving into the water for them. The implication was that somehow today's cruising has roots in such arrogant traditions. Can anyone shed some light on whether this practice ever existed?

I hate to say it, but we actually saw that in St. Lucia a few years ago on a Holland America cruise. It made me uncomfortable, and I did not take pictures.

I love Rick Steves - listen to all his radio shows as podcasts - but he does look down his nose at cruising and cruisers. The few times he has said anything about cruising, he's downright judgemental, which is ironic for someone whose passion is getting to know different cultures. He should take some time to learn that cruise culture is more than bingo and buffets. ;)

This is just idle curiosity on my part. Does anyone know which cruise the Frommers went on?

I'm not sure, but for someone who seems to have a low opinion of cruising, he sure does blog a lot about it: http://www.frommers.com/blog/?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewTag&plckBlogId=Blog:3ec3ac40-db8a-4d10-a884-acf9ccad0879&plckTag=cruise

I've yet to read it but really don't give a toss that something thinks it is not travel!! I can't wait to sail into new ports, see you sights and experience the relaxation that only a cruise ship can bring while traveling to so many wonderful places. We fully intend to use this experience to get a feel for the areas and then return to our favorites at a later time.

Clearly there are enough ordinary people like us who feel just the same :D

I've yet to read it but really don't give a toss that something thinks it is not travel!! I can't wait to sail into new ports, see you sights and experience the relaxation that only a cruise ship can bring while traveling to so many wonderful places. We fully intend to use this experience to get a feel for the areas and then return to our favorites at a later time.

Clearly there are enough ordinary people like us who feel just the same :D

You might be pleasantly surprised by the article. He argues that such a vacation is valuable in its own right, and talks about why he enjoyed a cruise--only he distinguishes it from the kind of trip that allows for a true in-depth exploration of a city or country.

The article is very true and it is true of Caribbean vacations to a lesser extent. It is all part of research that you should make before a trip of any kind. What do you want out of the trip, if a long land vacation, don't cruise. If not, take the cruise and enjoy yourself as there are a lot of advantages.

Don't get stuck on the word travel if you read the article, he just has a different definition. I can't stand when writers throw something like that out there as it takes away from the true meaning of the article.

Arthur Frommer and his daughter, Pauline, do a radio program on WOR called "The Travel Show". In the June 28 show, they both talk about the Med cruise. If you are interested in this thread, you might want to download the MP3 (audio file) and have a listen.

Here is the link (from www.wor710.com):

The Travel Show, June 28, 2009 - Hour 1

Here is a link to The Travel Show

When he uses the word "travel"' date=' he means a "traveller" vs a "tourist". A traveller would experience the essence of a place, whereas a tourist would merely see the sights.[/quote']

I agree with his definition of tourist vs traveller. However, I feel that a European Cruise where the ship stays overnight in a few ports is a great compromise.

I agree with his definition of tourist vs traveller. However, I feel that a European Cruise where the ship stays overnight in a few ports is a great compromise.

I hope the day comes when an itinerary offers fewer ports and extended stays. I'll be there! Actually, I did find one on another line, but I can't remember which line!

Right now I am at the point where I think in the future (we are getting older!!), I would like to have an extended stay (one week, maybe two, maybe three, as long as we can continue to travel) in a single place. I'd like to have an apartment, go to the local supermarket ( I am probably the only crazy person who loves to shop at the supermarkets of the world!!! I should write a book!!)

We did a transatlantic with Med combined which included one day in Barcelona. Can you imagine one day in Barcelona? What a tease!

I love to shop the grocery stores of the world too!!! You should see the markets of Barcelona I have lots of pictures of all kinds of grocery stores from our travels.

Nice to meet you!!!!

We didn't get to the market in Barcelona. I heard it is fantastic. We did manage the one in Valencia. Since we were on a cruise, all I bought was nuts. Gorgeous nuts. The building was magnificent and everything was so clean and so neatly arranged. Great eye appeal.

One of the differences between a cruise and a land based vacation is that during a cruise many people feel that they have to see as much as possible during the short time they are in port while people are more likely to take restful breaks to smell the roses when they are staying at a place for a longer period of time.

A while back my husband and I decided that a cruise is more enjoyable and we get more out of each port if we take the attitude that we don't have to see everything that is worth seeing during that one cruise.

One of the differences between a cruise and a land based vacation is that during a cruise many people feel that they have to see as much as possible during the short time they are in port while people are more likely to take restful breaks to smell the roses when they are staying at a place for a longer period of time.

A while back my husband and I decided that a cruise is more enjoyable and we get more out of each port if we take the attitude that we don't have to see everything that is worth seeing during that one cruise.

I guess if you plan to take (for example) a Med cruise every year, you can see a little in each port each time you go.

I disagree completely with the article.

Cruising may not be the best way to learn a culture or the day to day lives of the citizens in the places we visit, but it by any definition is traveling.

We have done both the land trips and the cruises, and business trips of many days.

You measure traveling by the miles traveled, not by the amount of time in each place.

Cruising makes traveling about as enjoyable as possible.

You move without constant packing and unpacking, and little time lost trying to locate that restaurant that was recommended but you just can't find because you don't understand the road signs.

And the people we meet on board and travel with are as well traveled as many travel agents, and maybe wiser.

Archived