Self-Serve Laundry - B2B

I can't imagine that they wouldn't be open. It sure seems like an excellent time to get some laundry done. Unfortunately our only b2b cruises were on a ship without a passenger laundry room (E'dam), so I can't say for sure.

They were open on the cruises I've been on. Caveat: those turn-around days were not in the United States. Customs regulations could be different in different countries.

We are brand new to HAL and have booked the Amsterdam for next summer. I'm not clear on what class ship it is. Does it have self service laundry?

Yes, there are self-serve launderettes on the Amsterdam.

Yes, there are self-serve launderettes on the Amsterdam.

Thank goodness! I appreciate your response. We are doing the 14 day next summer and I can't imagine trying to pack for two weeks with the prospect of no laundry facilities.

Many years ago we had pulled into St Thomas for the day. I had gotten up early and did the wash but was not able to dry the clothes as Ruth wanted to go shopping and I said "YES DEAR".

We hung the laundry out on the Verandah and we happened to be on the dock side. When we left the ship we looked up at out cabin and the laundry stood out like a sore thumb.

When we returned to the ship we noticed that the laundry was gone of the verandah. When we got to the room the laundry was neatly folded on the bed and a note from the Hotel Manager was on top of the folded laundry requesting that we please refrain from hanging out our laundry...

Ever since then we get the laundry package.

WHY..............

Ruth said "If you are too cheap to pay for the laundry package you can do the laundry..."

Ruth & Jim

Those little blue laundry bags (one price for one bag) are fantastic -- careful stuffing and you can get virtually your whole closet into the little bag :D

We spent 65 days on the Amsterdam last fall and we used the blue bags about twice a week -- our clothes returned to us ironed and either folded or on hangers (our choice to select on the laundry form) -- we have no complaints -- in fact I got quite spoiled by this service.

Every item that you send to the laundry returns with a small iron on laundry tag placed on the inside of the garment in some inconspicuous spot or other. I never sent my personal undies or delicate fabrics as I did not want laundry tags on those items and they could be done so quickly at the self service laundry. I am still finding Amsterdam laundry tags on some of my things -- brings back great memories. :)

If you do send laundry they need 48 hours to do it so be sure you do not wait too long into your cruise to send. On a short 7 or 10 day I am not sure that I would waste my cruise time in the self service laundry -- on a longer cruise a little laundry time is just part of daily life.

Amsterdam is an S class and has self-serve laundry. There is a button that you push for a controlled amount of detergent. The detergent is free. Bring your own dryer sheets. Happy Sails!

Not to be really picky but Amsterdam is considered "R" Class and she has a center staircase and elevators. The "S" Class ships only have forward and aft stairs and elevators. To some people that makes a big difference.

OP: I think the person who suggested doing your laundry the last day of your first cruise had a great idea. Most people are packing and few will want the laundry. The laundry is not always open on 'turn around' day.

Be careful of the dry cleaning services on HAL. On our Veendam cruise I had to send a long silk chiffon skirt to the cleaners after the first formal night due to a unfortunate encounter with some gravy. When I went to put the skirt on for the second formal night i discovered that they had somehow managed to stretch the lining of the skirt so that the lining now hung 4 inches below the overskirt which was the silk chiffon. I had not choice but to wear it since I had nothing else formal and when I got home I had to take the skirt to a semstress for her to shorten the lining to match the overskirt which cost me $25.00

Those little blue laundry bags (one price for one bag) are fantastic -- careful stuffing and you can get virtually your whole closet into the little bag :D

We spent 65 days on the Amsterdam last fall and we used the blue bags about twice a week -- our clothes returned to us ironed and either folded or on hangers (our choice to select on the laundry form) -- we have no complaints -- in fact I got quite spoiled by this service.

Every item that you send to the laundry returns with a small iron on laundry tag placed on the inside of the garment in some inconspicuous spot or other. I never sent my personal undies or delicate fabrics as I did not want laundry tags on those items and they could be done so quickly at the self service laundry. I am still finding Amsterdam laundry tags on some of my things -- brings back great memories. :)

If you do send laundry they need 48 hours to do it so be sure you do not wait too long into your cruise to send. On a short 7 or 10 day I am not sure that I would waste my cruise time in the self service laundry -- on a longer cruise a little laundry time is just part of daily life.

Hi Roxanne,

We were on the cruise with you and chose unlimited laundry. I think the charge was less than $300 for the 65 days. The laundry by the bag was $20. We sent out a bag about every three days. Some days we would send out two bags (one to be folded and the other to return on hangers).

I had never done laundry by the bag or unlimited laundry before....but I am HOOKED. No waiting for available machines, no waiting around in the laundry, no running back to check whether the wash or dry was done, no arguments between passengers. I am on VACATION, TIME IS MONEY and my time is very valuable.

I will never cruise again without unlimited laundry or laundry by the bag.

Not to be really picky but Amsterdam is considered "R" Class and she has a center staircase and elevators. The "S" Class ships only have forward and aft stairs and elevators. To some people that makes a big difference.

OP: I think the person who suggested doing your laundry the last day of your first cruise had a great idea. Most people are packing and few will want the laundry. The laundry is not always open on 'turn around' day.

OOPs! Got my fingers crossed. :p

"Every item that you send to the laundry returns with a small iron on laundry tag placed on the inside of the garment in some inconspicuous spot or other. I am still finding Amsterdam laundry tags on some of my things -- brings back great memories. ":)

I would have to agree. Finding those tags was like finding a wonderful minimemory of the cruise. However on the Ryndam in June they were now using paper laundry tags, stapled to the garments. Unfortunately its just not the same.

They were open on the cruises I've been on. Caveat: those turn-around days were not in the United States. Customs regulations could be different in different countries.

Ruth,

Just how do you wash Chocolates ? (and the Dryer . . . . :confused: )

And, were those "Logo Chocolates" ? ?, Dark or Milk ? ? ?

I too take my Chocolate very seriously ;)

r.

I find mouthwash gets 'em nice and clean. :D

Nice seeing you back, Tamaracboy. You've been gone a while. Cruising?

Ruth,

Wish I had been on some DAM ship. :rolleyes:

Reality is home remodeling, 2 week job is now at 3 months and counting. :(

Really need my upcoming Alaska trip on Westerdam in 6 weeks, even if it is only 7 days.

Just to keep this thread-legal, The Westie doesn't have laundry facilities for PAX. :p

I will lift my nightly logo chocolates in a salute to you. ;)

Think fudge, :cool:

r.

"Every item that you send to the laundry returns with a small iron on laundry tag placed on the inside of the garment in some inconspicuous spot or other. I am still finding Amsterdam laundry tags on some of my things -- brings back great memories. ":)

I love that reminder...however, some are in spots that irritate my skin, so I've gotten into the habit of pulling them off when I find them...I just found one the other day...I smiled with fond memories, then yanked it off! LOL!

We had a self service laundromat on our "one and only" Princess cruise; have cruised several times on the Noordam and, of course, no laundry. first two cruises, we did the "stuff the blue bag" laundry. Last cruise, a b2b, we took the unlimited. Seemed like a no brainer. Will do the same this February.

Archived