"secret" door on Freedom of the Seas?

The secluded and crowded areas will vary from sailing to sailing, depending on the passengers! There really are no "secret" areas---someone, at some time, will occupy every inch of the ship!

The pool deck will be the most crowded spot for sailaway from warm weather ports!

It took me awhile to figure out how to get to the front (bow) of the ship. Many never get there the whole cruise! I'm the king of the world!

Edited by jjaa404

Even if it isn't really "secret" is there a less crowded area for sail way?

Most of the crowd is outside on the main pool deck.

Head up to the Viking Crown Lounge. Not only is it far less crowded, but you can see out in 3 directions.

Go all the way forward on deck 4 then up the stairs and keep going forward.

Operative word here is "Out" to deck 4. If your muster wasn't there, you might not even know you could go out on deck 4.

Edited by jjaa404

Operative word here is "Out" to deck 4. If your muster wasn't there, you might not even know you could go out on deck 4.

So just to confirm (assuming it's the same for Independence too), just go out either port or starboard side on deck four, move all the forward and their are fairly obvious stairs to go up to the helipad?

So just to confirm (assuming it's the same for Independence too), just go out either port or starboard side on deck four, move all the forward and their are fairly obvious stairs to go up to the helipad?

Yes.

Yes. Same as the Voyager class too.

When I was on the Adventure, hardly ANYONE would ever go there, let alone knew about it.

My brother and I would go there and watch the people get on the ship just before departing each port. People would point at us, I guess thinking one of two things:

"Hey.... how the heck do you get over there!?"

or

"Passengers aren't allowed to be there! What gives!?"

But you ARE allowed there and it's the best spot on the whole ship in my opinion.

On Holland America, that area is restricted for crew only.

Are you sure you were allowed to be there?:confused:

You are definitely allowed up there. There are benches around the helipad too, so you are able to sit and take in the scenery. Also, you can go right to the very front and look over the bow, which is amazing. Loved it, but it is really dark at night and I literally freaked out when I saw a shadow of someone up there, thinking how quickly they could toss me over the front. I promptly turned around and went inside. :eek:

Can someone confirm the Helipad is really on deck 4 also on the Explorer of the seas, I'm sailing in 1 week for my first cruise and I guess this is the spot to go for sailaway.

Edited by Dodge34

Can someone confirm the Helipad is really on deck 4 also on the Explorer of the seas, I'm sailing in 1 week for my first cruise and I guess this is the spot to go for sailaway.

If you just go out onto the promenade deck and walk as far forward as possible, you will see the steps leading up to the helipad. ;)

• 5 years later...
So is it still there after the refurb in 2011? Sailing Nov. 30th and hoping for a quiet spot to sail away.

Yes. Go forward on either side of Deck 4. When you come to stairs, go up.

Keep going forward. You will see the helipad and the stairs to go up to that level.

Best place for sailaway. You won't have it to yourself, but it won't be as

crowded as the pool decks.

I usually head up there immediately after the muster drill. Usually a few others will be heading up at the same time and more will follow.

Grab a bench or stake out the king of the world spot, and enjoy sailaway.

Same on all Freedom Class ships.

On Freedom of the Seas, and other Freedom Class ships, if you want to avoid the stairs that lead up to the front of the ship, cut through the lounge. On FOS it's Pharaoh's. Rarely anything going on in there during the day. Enter and go right, just past a dj booth. There's a set of doors that look like they're for crew only, but they're not. (So it's sort of a secret door. :)) They practically take you right out to the helipad.

Edited by jules815

Does anyone know about vision of the seas and if you are able to access the front

Only Voyager, Freedom, and Radiance classes have open access to the helipad. Oasis class allows guest access by invitation only.