RCCL vs Carnival - my opinion

Just returned from Enchantment 5nt. Previous cruises on Carnival Paradise, Glory and Miracle.

Comparisons: Food on Carnival was much better in taste and Variety. Carnival has the best pizza and 24hr ice cream. Enchantments food was OK, just prefer the choices on Carnival more, and I am not a big meat eater.

Activities: Did not seem to have as many choices on the Enchantment during the day.

Evening shows compare equally. Totally enjoyed the Quest show on the Enchantment.

One thing I did notice on the Enchantment, poolside band only played for 1 hr then they quit during the day.

My husband felt the fellow passengers on the Enchantment were rude. Cutting in line,etc...

Not the cruiselines fault though.

Decor: I really don't care about the decor, as it does not effect my cruise. All ships I

have been on have been nice and that's all that matters.

Overall, I couldn't tell alot of difference in the two different cruiselines. They are more alike

than different.

Looking forward to trying other RCCL ships, as well as Carnival and other cruiselines.

We are booked on the Carnival Dream July 2010.

1 - The recipe posted (see below) does not match the cake served. In the cake that they served, the chocolate was clearly separate from the cake (as in a traditional molten cake). In the recipe posted, the chocoate is mixed with the cake batter.

2 - Just because they post "a" recipe in a newsletter does not mean it is "the" recipe they use on board.

---

1 pound Dark Chocolate

1 pound Butter

10 Eggs

10 ounces Sugar

6 ounces Flour

Melt the chocolate and butter. Mix the eggs with the sugar and whisk for a few minutes;

add the flour. Combine the egg mixture with the melted chocolate and mix. Then pour into

individual greased molds. Bake directly in the oven at 400° F for 14 minutes.

Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve warm with ice cream.

Note: Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and the chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture.

Just because "you" don't agree with the recipe doesn't mean a thing to me. And, wow, that wasn't the nicest way to respond. I just said to do a search, but that said, plenty of people have made the version from the Carnival cookbook and it's turned out fine. And, yes, it's made with the chocolate mixed in. The chocolate in CCL's cake is not separate. I've had it on every CCL cruise, probably at least 15 times and it's not separate, it's soft in the middle. It's not placed in the middle of the cake. It's gooey in the middle because it's only cooked for a short time. I never said any different.

I happen to love the flavor of the Carnival Melting cake and I've had other versions.

After taking a cruise on Princess, we decided Carnival has better food, but that won't stop us from cruising Princess again. I think some are too over the top about one cruise line over another. Unless they're paying your bills, why be so defensive?

DH and I are in in our mid 30's and New Yorkers who love to party and have fun. Would we enjoy RCCL? What kind of music is played in the clubs?

yes u will love it!!!!! music ranges ex some nights they have 60's night, other's it's a disco party, etc. but hta'ts not for all night afterwards they play all kinds of music

So if Morton's decided to serve hot dogs, I'm supposed to then consider them fine dining? You haven't changed my opinion.

Actually, some of the higher end restaurants HAVE been serving mac & cheese & derivations of it for many years now.

I believe Mortons comes to mind off the top of my head.

I have only been on two cruises. One Carnival and one RCCL. The answers to this question can have many varying factors. For instance, our first cruise, Carnival, was the week before Christmas. Most school aged kids were still in school, but the college kids were coming out of the woodwork! Another time of year and it would have been a different demographic.

Other factors influenced how I felt about that cruise also. As first timers, and due to a bad TA who had no clue on wheelchair accessibility, we were put us on an older ship that was build just before the ADA. (Inspiration) It was a nightmare. You live and learn! I tried "go with the flow" but it still affected my mood about the cruise. I remember no complaints about the overall service and I was happy with the food. (Not a picky eater at all though)

So it makes me wonder with factors such as my example, that the cruiseline itself has no control over, can people have an objective opinion about that cruise. You gotta compare apples to apples. To do that you would have to take a cruise on different lines one after the other to compare the time of year and other factors.

Make sense? Maybe to much psychology thrown in there, but just my thoughts.

So if Morton's decided to serve hot dogs, I'm supposed to then consider them fine dining? You haven't changed my opinion.

Actually, macaroni and cheese is served in many, many fine restaurants. It is a classic dish. Especially paired with a great Gruyere cheese...yum! I imagine you're thinking of a mix, like a boxed mac/cheese thing?:D No, that wouldn't be served anywhere. I remember a refined version done on Top Chef where one of the top three did a macaroni and cheese with black truffle underneath. The celebrity and professional chefs loved it, raved over it.

I can't cook to save my life, but I know all this because my bf is a classically trained french chef that has worked in some of the best restuarants in the U.S.:)

Other factors influenced how I felt about that cruise also. As first timers, and due to a bad TA who had no clue on wheelchair accessibility, we were put us on an older ship that was build just before the ADA. (Inspiration) It was a nightmare. You live and learn! I tried "go with the flow" but it still affected my mood about the cruise. I remember no complaints about the overall service and I was happy with the food. (Not a picky eater at all though)

A little off topic but I dont think cruise ships HAVE TO follow ADA because of them being registered in different countries. That said, I think most all lines have made all of their ships accomodating to those in wheelchairs.

I am curious as to the issues you had on Inspiration and how long ago this was?

I am a T10 paraplegic totally confined to a wheelchair and i sailed on the Holiday last year which was built way back in the mid 80s before the Inspiration was even a thought. My cabin was HUGE and the only issues I ran into were a couple of steps going up into one of the lounges.

There was also an issue with getting off in Cozumel being that the ramp they used to go from the ship to the dock was a little narrow........My friend that I sailed with just picked me up and carried me off.

Overall, I found Carnival accomodating even on the oldest ship in their fleet.

As for the original topic at hand............I cannot compare RCL and Carnival yet...............I am sailing on the Monarch next May and am curious to see the differences and how accessible the ship is.

Who said I was trying to.

We are discussing mac & cheese. & it's a fact that M&C is being served in fine dining type restaurants.

Who said anything about hot dogs?

Your definition of fine dining maybe different from some popular consensus.

Esp. if ppl are going to try & normalize some of the dishes & dress code to match @ MDR or Chops - since it's considered fine dining - then yes Morton is a land base equivalent in many ppl's eyes.

Would you please explain why?

Is you opinion based on the Carnival cruises you have taken?

Or just what you read on the RCI board.

Sound like another typical Cruise Critic post to me:confused:

Worse - they're 1 of the ultra right wing RCL jihadist.

You can search their past posts to see what I mean. :cool:

Thanks for the review. I like RCCL and have no intention of ever sailing on the "wal-mart" of cruise lines.

I wouldn't rule it out that easily. Trust me, Royal Caribeban is the best cruise line for us, but I've said time and time again, I think the "Walmart" and redneck refrences are more relevant for the older Carnival ships that usually do short cruises. Would I ever even consider sailing on a Fantasy class ship again, absolutely not :eek:. Would I consider a 7 nighter on a new ship? If the price and itenerary was right, sure. I know its not every cruise, and its probably happened on RC, but in five days we saw everything from a used condom at the foot of the stairwell on the Main deck all day to wife beaters and undershirts in the MDR to people passed out on the floor of the burger bar by the pool. Just didn't make a good first impression.

I wouldn't rule it out that easily. Trust me, Royal Caribeban is the best cruise line for us, but I've said time and time again, I think the "Walmart" and redneck refrences are more relevant for the older Carnival ships that usually do short cruises. Would I ever even consider sailing on a Fantasy class ship again, absolutely not :eek:. Would I consider a 7 nighter on a new ship? If the price and itenerary was right, sure. I know its not every cruise, and its probably happened on RC, but in five days we saw everything from a used condom at the foot of the stairwell on the Main deck all day to wife beaters and undershirts in the MDR to people passed out on the floor of the burger bar by the pool. Just didn't make a good first impression.

Sounds like our cruise on the Fascination. It was a four night to Key West and Cozumel. Thought that the short cruise was the main reason for this. Tried the Carinval Glory out for seven nights. Did not see much change.:eek:

Sounds like you might be about ready for HAL or Celebrity.

Plus you will have whole bunch of dress codes to play with.

Everyone knows RCCI Cruise Critic types love Dress Codes:D

Sounds like our cruise on the Fascination. It was a four night to Key West and Cozumel. Thought that the short cruise was the main reason for this. Tried the Carinval Glory out for seven nights. Did not see much change.:eek:

Nothing like generalizing about CCL but discounting the similar stories here about RCL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026631

But hey jihadist are everywhere apparently.

A little off topic but I dont think cruise ships HAVE TO follow ADA because of them being registered in different countries. That said, I think most all lines have made all of their ships accomodating to those in wheelchairs.

They do have to comply. The US Supremes ruled a couple of years ago that even the foreign-flagged ships must comply with ADA if they are sailing into or out of US ports.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

I enjoyed the mac & cheese - it's a small ramekin with just a taste and it's nothing like Kraft.:D

Sounds like you might be about ready for HAL or Celebrity.

Plus you will have whole bunch of dress codes to play with.

Everyone knows RCCI Cruise Critic types love Dress Codes:D

Thanks for the advice, but hell no :p! I think I know what we like and why we like it. We're just in our late 30's, we still like to stay out and party til early morning, we're on vacation, its just that we saw a lot more crossing the line on our Carnival cruise.

... and I don't want to sound stuck up, but I don't think not wanting to dine with a person who didn't take a shower before dinner and shows up in an undershirt makes me the "dress code loving" type, I think its having a little bit of class :rolleyes:. Same reason we only go to nice resteraunts at home, a nicer atmosphere makes for a better dining experience. If I showed up for lunch at the country club wearing wrinkled shorts and a wife beater, I'd get some looks. The only part of the dress code I really care about is looking gross. If you want to wear shorts, jeans, flip flops, its fine by me if you look nice. Who am I to care? But if you sit by me looking grungy and gross, I have every right to have an opinion.

I had the same experience on the Carnival Miracle - never considered mac and cheese to be fine dining. I found it dissapointing that 1/2 (1/3 maybe ??) of the menu was the same every night. I know a lot of people say that the food is better on CCL, but that has never been my experience. We've always found the food to be better on RCCL, even in the supper clubs. I'm not saying the food was bad on CCL, just better on RCCL.

We also found the food on Carnival to be a cut below RCI. I'm not a foodie, but I really believe that macaroni and cheese should not be a side dish on an adult menu in the main dining room. I also found the Carnival menu to offer less variety (or at least fewer tempting choices) than RCI.

Not to be critical, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but based on your posted cruise history I'm not sure you have had enough recent experience on both lines to see the changes in food quality that has occurred. Since the beginning of 2007 we have been on 9 CCL cruises and 8 RCCL cruises. I would say that we have seen a greater decline at Royal than at Carnival that I would now say Carnival's food is better. I would say that was not true 2 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, but hell no :p! I think I know what we like and why we like it. We're just in our late 30's, we still like to stay out and party til early morning, we're on vacation, its just that we saw a lot more crossing the line on our Carnival cruise.

... and I don't want to sound stuck up, but I don't think not wanting to dine with a person who didn't take a shower before dinner and shows up in an undershirt makes me the "dress code loving" type, I think its having a little bit of class :rolleyes:. Same reason we only go to nice resteraunts at home, a nicer atmosphere makes for a better dining experience. If I showed up for lunch at the country club wearing wrinkled shorts and a wife beater, I'd get some looks. The only part of the dress code I really care about is looking gross. If you want to wear shorts, jeans, flip flops, its fine by me if you look nice. Who am I to care? But if you sit by me looking grungy and gross, I have every right to have an opinion.

And you base all your comments on one 5 night Carnival Cruise in 2003?

I'll bet if you pay more for a cruise you will find a better class of cruiser?

And what would you say if I told you I've seen all the same things on RCCI?

And all on two 3 night cruises to Mexico.

For example I may find many Cruise Critic folks creepy and lonely. But a few Cruise Critc folks woud not keep me from choosing one cruise line over another.

Archived