RCCL vs Carnival - my opinion

Wow, a Carnie with their knickers in a knot.:D

Don't be labeling Target shopper.

Not like you're buying anything else but the house brand also.:cool:

Based on ur own personal Qur’an - you're 1 sidedness supports the above statements.

:d:d:d:d lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be rude or anything - but I've been to Jacksonville, and I would never, ever, ever, ever call it high class! It was downright scary when I unfortunately wandered off of the main highway. I'm just saying that Its kind of comical that someone from that area would use the term "Walmart Shopper" as derogatory. It's possible I was just in a very unsavory part of Jacksonville (the gas station had an attendant behind bullet proof glass :eek:) but I didn't even see anything as nice as a Walmart there.

As a disclaimer I'm not calling anyone names, not being nasty or rude. Also, I have never sailed anything but RCCL, but life is too short to be scared of change, in my opinion.

Thanks for the review. I like RCCL and have no intention of ever sailing on the "wal-mart" of cruise lines.

I'm shocked that people try to use this term as derogatory . Have you NEVER shopped there? I shop there and am normal, a Biology student, work full time, lived in major cities. What exactly is being inferred by this - seriously, I'm confused by it. I've heard it time and again as if its a bad thing - as if the people buying the exact same merchandise for less are somehow not as good as people being duped by the same thing for more money. Do I have that right??:confused: Seems to me the people shelling out more money for the same product would be the ones to ridicule. I also shop at Target - not Targeght - Target. Does that make me a hillbilly redneck in a wife beater? Because I've only sailed RCCL and I've seen ALL types on there. I'm just raised well enough not to judge them, I guess...

As a disclaimer I'm not calling anyone names, not being nasty or rude.

I'm shocked that people try to use this term as derogatory . Have you NEVER shopped there? I shop there and am normal, a Biology student, work full time, lived in major cities. What exactly is being inferred by this - seriously, I'm confused by it. I've heard it time and again as if its a bad thing - as if the people buying the exact same merchandise for less are somehow not as good as people being duped by the same thing for more money. Do I have that right??:confused: Seems to me the people shelling out more money for the same product would be the ones to ridicule. I also shop at Target - not Targeght - Target. Does that make me a hillbilly redneck in a wife beater? Because I've only sailed RCCL and I've seen ALL types on there. I'm just raised well enough not to judge them, I guess...

As a disclaimer I'm not calling anyone names, not being nasty or rude.

In the 1980s it was considered declasse to shop at a discount store (unless it was Loehmann's). But when the recession hit in 1989 or so, it suddenly became fashionable - there was even an article in the LA Times about the sudden influx of luxury cars in the parking lot at Price Club (now Costco, oh the things I remember:o).

So in reality, if you're sailing on the Tar-jay or Walmart of cruiselines, you're sailing with a diverse segment of the population. But of course, when it's thrown out on these boards, it's usually meant as an insult.

I saw plenty of the Great Unwashed Masses :rolleyes: (I wish there was a "tongue in cheek" smiley) on Monarch when she was in LA. Several of my friends who were Carnival Refugees used to tell me that Paradise was far worse. Although I only have 2 cruises on her, I disagree. She has the same cross section of the population onboard. And better food.:D

And you base all your comments on one 5 night Carnival Cruise in 2003?

I'll bet if you pay more for a cruise you will find a better class of cruiser?

And what would you say if I told you I've seen all the same things on RCCI?

And all on two 3 night cruises to Mexico.

For example I may find many Cruise Critic folks creepy and lonely. But a few Cruise Critc folks woud not keep me from choosing one cruise line over another.

You mean my two comments that said based on one Carnival cruise following this post, "...but I've said time and time again, I think the "Walmart" and redneck refrences are more relevant for the older Carnival ships that usually do short cruises. Would I ever even consider sailing on a Fantasy class ship again, absolutely not. Would I consider a 7 nighter on a new ship? If the price and itenerary was right, sure..."

I'd hardly call that a RC cheerleader...

And ya, from what I've experienced, you generally do get what you pay for and, naturally, get a higher class of passengers on a high priced cruise. I'm not saying thats a good or bad thing, and not necessarily the case. But I can tell you that I have seen a huge difference, even on Royal, in a $1200 cruise and a $14,000 cruise.

If you said the same thing about your two 3 nighters on RC, then I would probably say exactly what I said about Carnival, shorter cruisers tend to attract a different crowd.

So in reality, if you're sailing on the Tar-jay or Walmart of cruiselines, you're sailing with a diverse segment of the population. But of course, when it's thrown out on these boards, it's usually meant as an insult.

I saw plenty of the Great Unwashed Masses :rolleyes: (I wish there was a "tongue in cheek" smiley) on Monarch when she was in LA. Several of my friends who were Carnival Refugees used to tell me that Paradise was far worse. Although I only have 2 cruises on her, I disagree. She has the same cross section of the population onboard. And better food.:D

Exactly, some RCL zealots on here act as though they were sailing on Seabourne or Crystal or something of that ilk when every1 know what frauds they are trying to perp.

Speaking of unwashed, isn't this the cruise line that doesn't even offer shampoo & soap to most of it's customers?!:eek:

Guess the lowly 'trashy' CCL underworld will still smell better that's for sure.

And ya, from what I've experienced, you generally do get what you pay for and, naturally, get a higher class of passengers on a high priced cruise. I'm not saying thats a good or bad thing, and not necessarily the case. But I can tell you that I have seen a huge difference, even on Royal, in a $1200 cruise and a $14,000 cruise.

Nothing to add to that.

Gotta love them Cruise Critic folks.

Exactly, some RCL zealots on here act as though they were sailing on Seabourne or Crystal or something of that ilk when every1 know what frauds they are trying to perp.

Speaking of unwashed, isn't this the cruise line that doesn't even offer shampoo & soap to most of it's customers?!:eek:

Guess the lowly 'trashy' CCL underworld will still smell better that's for sure.

You don't understand.

If you pay more you are a better class of cruiser.

I guess that means a higher class of mass market cruiser.

Just read some of the post out here.

Would folks on the Cruise Critc boards lie to me?

I think not:D

You don't understand.

If you pay more you are a better class of cruiser.

I guess that means a higher class of mass market cruiser.

Just read some of the post out here.

Would folks on the Cruise Critc boards lie to me?

I think not:D

Again I ask, why do you come to Cruise Critic? Also, your posts seem very elitist to me. Some posters know what they like. It seems that you like to also put down the ones that do not agree with your choice. Just go back and read your own posts.:rolleyes: Pot meet kettle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I ask, why do you come to Cruise Critic? Also, your posts seem very elitist to me. Some posters know what they like. It seems that you like to also put down the ones that do not agree with your choice. Just go back and read your own posts.:rolleyes: Pot meet kettle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very much off topic and does not follow Cruise Critic posting guidelines.

You may not like it but everyone is entitled to an opinion, even me.

I think your post falls under that old Cruise Critic rule.

When you have nothing to add, attack the poster.

And what is the problem with my choice?

I have been on 3 Carnival and 4 RCI cruises.

You should know what your talking about before you attack.

But you will fit right in out here.

This is very much off topic and does not follow Cruise Critic posting guidelines.

You may not like it but everyone is entitled to an opinion, even me.

I think your post falls under that old Cruise Critic rule.

When you have nothing to add, attack the poster.

Or turn it around and make yourself look like the victim.

Did you not post this above.

Nothing to add to that.

Or turn it around and make yourself look like the victim.

Did you not post this above.

Nothing to add to that.

Off topic.

Way out of context to the full message.

Thanks for another personal attack.

Now the whole thread will be removed.

Will the RCI/CCL fighting never end? :rolleyes:

That's simple....no...

I've only cruised once on Carnival and it left such a bad impression every time we consider another we end up talking ourselves out of it.

The food wasn't bad, the photographers better than RCI's, but that's where the pros ended and the cons began, for us. Terrible service, garish decor, horrid cabin (I don't care how large it was). Out of 16 cruises, it's the only time I could not wait to get off of a cruise ship. Unfortunately, since we were on deck 2 and back in the time you had to wait for colored tags, we were last off.

I see the comparison made to bad Las Vegas decor, or Walmart, yet I would describe the ship as a nightmare on an Austin Powers movie set. A dated, badly decorated Austin Powers movie set.

That's simple....no...

I've only cruised once on Carnival and it left such a bad impression every time we consider another we end up talking ourselves out of it.

The food wasn't bad, the photographers better than RCI's, but that's where the pros ended and the cons began, for us. Terrible service, garish decor, horrid cabin (I don't care how large it was). Out of 16 cruises, it's the only time I could not wait to get off of a cruise ship. Unfortunately, since we were on deck 2 and back in the time you had to wait for colored tags, we were last off.

I see the comparison made to bad Las Vegas decor, or Walmart, yet I would describe the ship as a nightmare on an Austin Powers movie set. A dated, badly decorated Austin Powers movie set.

When and on what ship did you have your horrible Carnival cruise?

Funny, my worst cruise was on Celebrity (too many dress codes and really stuffy people) and it was sitll a wonderful cruise.

When and on what ship did you have your horrible Carnival cruise?

I know this question wasn't asked to me, but I had a similar experience as what happy ks described. Mine was on Ecstasy. I've cruised CCL since then and had a much better experience...although I am still not a fan of the decor (but, that's not a deal breaker for me).

Will the RCI/CCL fighting never end? :rolleyes:

No.

As longs as people make snap judgements based on nothing it will not.

I've been on both and they are pretty much mass market cruise lines.

Which is just fine with me.

My problem is with the "I never cruised (Carnival/RCCI) a but (Carnival/RCCI) sucks".

Or "I took a 3 night (Carnival/RCCI) booze cruise in 1998 and it sucked so every (Carnival/RCCI) cruise and cruiser sucks"

Or 'I paid more money so it has to be better".

This seems to be the typical posters to this kind of thread.

My problem is with the "I never cruised (Carnival/RCCI) a but (Carnival/RCCI) sucks".

Or "I took a 3 night (Carnival/RCCI) booze cruise in 1998 and it sucked so every (Carnival/RCCI) cruise and cruiser sucks"

Or 'I paid more money so it has to be better".

This seems to be the typical posters to this kind of thread.

You are correct...but people should also not allow themselves to be offended by those comments. They are better left ignored. Anyone looking for a true comparison knows to ignore those comments.

You are correct...but people should also not allow themselves to be offended by those comments. They are better left ignored. Anyone looking for a true comparison knows to ignore those comments.

Of course you are correct:D

And to be fair you do seee smoe post that do make a true comparison.

Just not too many of them.

That's simple....no...

Oh good, I'm glad you posted this. The other posters have ignored my question. Can you please explain what you mean by a 'walmart' cruise? I realize it was a negative, so I'd like to know what you meant. I shop there, but will try not to take offense if you are trying to be rude to me or people that like to save money :) I'm just curious as to A. how have you never been in a Walmart (I thought they were everywhere) and B. Why you seem to think that the cruise looked like a Walmart? I think if we put the two side by side no one would see a resemblance. I guess I just don't get the reference and it's killing me because nobody ever explains it. I would think if you're trying to insult people or a cruiseline (yes, I'm not naive, I realize its an insult) you wouldn't do it by saying they are fiscally conservative or a smart shopper! lol:D

I don't mean to be rude or anything - but I've been to Jacksonville, and I would never, ever, ever, ever call it high class! It was downright scary when I unfortunately wandered off of the main highway. I'm just saying that Its kind of comical that someone from that area would use the term "Walmart Shopper" as derogatory. It's possible I was just in a very unsavory part of Jacksonville (the gas station had an attendant behind bullet proof glass :eek:) but I didn't even see anything as nice as a Walmart there.

As a disclaimer I'm not calling anyone names, not being nasty or rude. Also, I have never sailed anything but RCCL, but life is too short to be scared of change, in my opinion.

luckyprincess - that poster has a history of flaming CCL cruisers. It has called them trash before = so it's nothing new. I also reminded it that it is from jacksonville also. :D

luckyprincess - that poster has a history of flaming CCL cruisers. It has called them trash before = so it's nothing new. I also reminded it that it is from jacksonville also. :D

Oh okay! Thank you for the CC history lesson on that one!:D I just had to post when I saw the city because I thought it was ironic, lol!:p

Oh good, I'm glad you posted this. The other posters have ignored my question. Can you please explain what you mean by a 'walmart' cruise? I realize it was a negative, so I'd like to know what you meant. I shop there, but will try not to take offense if you are trying to be rude to me or people that like to save money :) I'm just curious as to A. how have you never been in a Walmart (I thought they were everywhere) and B. Why you seem to think that the cruise looked like a Walmart? I think if we put the two side by side no one would see a resemblance. I guess I just don't get the reference and it's killing me because nobody ever explains it. I would think if you're trying to insult people or a cruiseline (yes, I'm not naive, I realize its an insult) you wouldn't do it by saying they are fiscally conservative or a smart shopper! lol:D

Wow, what a great post.

Thank for defending those of us who need to save a buck or two.

Archived