Chefs Table

easykruz

We have done the chefs table on the Crown Princess, large and the Pacific Princess, small..Totally different but equally fantastic......One thing we really liked about doing the CT on the PP is that were were in one of the specialty restaurants as opposed to being in one of the main dining rooms...

When you say the PP and the Crown were different, other than the specialty restaurant/PP and the main dining room/CP, can you explain any other differences?

Thanks,

Bill

Do you sign up for the Chef's table at the Purser's desk when you first get onboard?

My wife and I did the Chef's table last October on the Emerald. Just a couple of thoughts for you:

1) Request the table as soon as you arrive on baord. Our ship started boarding at 12:15 and we were in our stateroom by 12:40. By the time I called, the table was filled and we were placed on a waiting list (#25). The response was so overwhelming that two more chef's tables were added for the cruise (10 day sailing) and we were selected for one of the add-ons. So don't wait to call!

2) Make sure you go hungry! Just a tremendous amount of food. One of the best expenditures I ever made on a cruise!

Do you recall the labels on the wines? RCI has a wine pairing dinner in Portofino, their specialty Italian restaurant, and the wines are, shall we say, uninspiring.

pinot grigio santa margarita and Mumm Champagne is all I remember. There was a red and a dessert wine also.

We did the Chefs table just like I said. when we were on the Coral for 19 days the had the Chefs table 4 times. The Maitre D' said if they don't get 10 people to sign up they don't do it and maybe the Diamond did not have enough people sign up. I also did the Ultimate Balcony Dining and when the head waiter Ettienne came to our room I remembered him from the Diamond when he was a head waiter at Sterling. I asked about how busy he was with the UBD he said we were the only couple to request it. I think your particular week was out of the ordinary. On the Sapphire we did it in the Savoy and the Diamond we did it in the Sante Fe. we always fing the Maitre D' on embarkation day and put our name on the list. The Maitre D' always has a table set up on the first day for folks wanting to change eating times from set to anytime or vice versa.

When you say the PP and the Crown were different, other than the specialty restaurant/PP and the main dining room/CP, can you explain any other differences?

Thanks,

Bill

The food was prepared differently and we had only 2 meats instead of 3. More than enough..:D...The Chef is told by corporate what ingredients he can use, the rest is up to him and his staff. Since we were on an Alaska cruise we had a halibut ceviche.

Check our photo link , I have added pictures of our PP chefs table.

We did the Chefs table just like I said. when we were on the Coral for 19 days the had the Chefs table 4 times. The Maitre D' said if they don't get 10 people to sign up they don't do it and maybe the Diamond did not have enough people sign up. I also did the Ultimate Balcony Dining and when the head waiter Ettienne came to our room I remembered him from the Diamond when he was a head waiter at Sterling. I asked about how busy he was with the UBD he said we were the only couple to request it. I think your particular week was out of the ordinary. On the Sapphire we did it in the Savoy and the Diamond we did it in the Sante Fe. we always fing the Maitre D' on embarkation day and put our name on the list. The Maitre D' always has a table set up on the first day for folks wanting to change eating times from set to anytime or vice versa.

On the Diamond June 6th sailing, it wasn't even made available/included in the patter. If it was an issue of not enough interest, they would have at least posted it in the patter--and the dining line and/or Maitre D' would have been aware of it. I checked it out as soon as we got on board (before noon). It wasn't in the patter. I called the dining line and they said they didn't have it on the Diamond. When I asked the Maitre D' in front of Sabatinis I was again told they didn't have it.

Hi Folks,

We did the Chef's Table on Emerald last Winter. The meal and service were fantastic, although it became a bit Medieval, when they bought out the meat on a cast-iron contraption and set it on fire... it was good, though. The dessert was a sight to behold and was tasty too... one always hates to tear apart pulled-sugar visual delights to woof down the throat, but such is the Chef's Table... worth every cent... JUST DO IT!

Carl

Hi Folks,

We did the Chef's Table on Emerald last Winter. The meal and service were fantastic, although it became a bit Medieval, when they bought out the meat on a cast-iron contraption and set it on fire... it was good, though. The dessert was a sight to behold and was tasty too... one always hates to tear apart pulled-sugar visual delights to woof down the throat, but such is the Chef's Table... worth every cent... JUST DO IT!

Carl

Allow me to second that.....Best single cruise eexperience out there.....:):):)

Bob

Is this something that is done each night or only once per cruise?

Sometimes only once. Depending on the length of the cruise, it may be offered one or two more times if there is enough of a demand.

I've read a couple of reviews about the chef's table and, in each case, there was a mention that a photo was taken of each COUPLE and each COUPLE received a cookbook.

Has anyone dined at the chef's table as a single or as two friends--not a couple and not related? In other words, if my cruise buddy and I decide to try for it, do we have a chance of being accepted and will we each get a cookbook?

I've read a couple of reviews about the chef's table and, in each case, there was a mention that a photo was taken of each COUPLE and each COUPLE received a cookbook.

Has anyone dined at the chef's table as a single or as two friends--not a couple and not related? In other words, if my cruise buddy and I decide to try for it, do we have a chance of being accepted and will we each get a cookbook?

I dined at the chef's table last week on the Sapphire Princess as a single. The photo was of the entire group. 3 couples, Chef, Maitre' d and myself. I don't think it's a first come, first serve deal. I didn't get on the ship until well after 5pm and was told that I was the 7th person to sign up and some had 4 people in their group.

I received the cookbook and a long-stemmed rose along with the other ladies. Shortly after dinner, when I returned to my cabin the Maitre' d sent a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. I had mentioned how much my 6yo daughter was going to love the rose and he sent another one for her.

I left a note thanking him for both the strawberries and the rose and the following night he sent another plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Definitely one of the highlights of the cruise and a reason I would choose Princess over another line.

A&E - Jacques is one of the biggest reasons we're booking another 10 nts on Sapphire - we were just really impressed with his hospitality. He seems genuinely interested in making sure we had an excellent dining experience. His chemistry with Marcello is fantastic, too.

Sorry, what's the "food line"?

It is called the dine line not the food line. It is the extension that you call to make reservations for the specialty restaurants and for the Chef's Table. The extension # can be found in the phonebook that is on the desk in your room. They also had the Chef's Table advertised in the patter on the day you board along with the number to call.

I do remember reading a thread where a single male received everything but the rose. If you make it known that you are traveling as friends and not as a couple during the pre Chef's Table meeting I am sure that they will arrange for both of you to receive the gifts.

At our Chef's table in May on the Caribbean Princess the ladies did not receive a rose and nobody seemed to mind. They also ran out of cookbooks but they took our home address and mailed it to us. The book arrived two days after we got home. We received two photo's one of our group and staff and one of me and my wife with the staff.

The food was prepared differently and we had only 2 meats instead of 3. More than enough..:D...The Chef is told by corporate what ingredients he can use, the rest is up to him and his staff. Since we were on an Alaska cruise we had a halibut ceviche.

Check our photo link , I have added pictures of our PP chefs table.

Rich,

Thanks for the info, the pics were fantastic.

We have done Chef's table on the Crown and the Carribbean, they where both different and both wonderful. The MD told me there where 3 different menus, I guess we have to try one more time to get them all. This is one of the best experiences you can have dining! Enjoy!!!!

Hi Everybody!

This sounds great! I am on the Ruby Princess on the September 1st sailing out of Barcelona...and would love to partake!

Can anyone tell me a few more details about the Chef's Table? When is it held? What is the order of events? Do you go to the galley between courses? Is it a cooking lesson? What sort of food items are offered?

How long is the dinner?

Thanks so much!

Olwyn

Archived