"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

Oh dear, what a worry. The one good thing is that because you paid by credit card you will be covered even this far along, although complicated a little by 2 credit cards. Assuming the worse scenario, you have used the card to pay for something which you have not received or if something turns out to be faulty (like a new washing machine or such). The laws in the US may be slightly different from the UK but they pretty much all run along the same lines. Credit cards keep darn good records and they can provide the evidence if needed that you have paid up.

Karen,

I can only imagine what you are going through. Work through HAL to get it resolved. That's all well and good.

But, here is a fact you have to keep in mind...if they are dishonest, and from what you've posted it sounds like they are at least not coming clean, then nothing you do at this point will make them so mad as to not resolve your problem. They may not resolve your problem because they don't have the assets or if (God forbid) they declare bankruptcy to avoid you. I see no downside in calling the Attorney General of the state they are located in (as suggested by another poster here), calling the local Better Business Bureau (and they typically may not be immediately responsive if you are only the first complainant), and calling a local newspaper where they are located. Expose these people for what they are.

Although it is frowned upon here, maybe somehow post a message that names the agency (maybe you have to be clever and bit devious to get away with it). Also, you have a blog...put the whole story on your blog naming names and where they are. Then invite us all to go there and read all about it. This can become viral given the readership of these boards. Again my point is, if they are trying to rip you off, then nothing like this will make the situation worse.

Now, having said all that, I would wait a couple more hours just to see if this resolves itself, and if not, start taking some or all of these actions before 5pm EDT before all of us back east start heading home from the offices.

Geez, I hope this gets fixed like real soon!

Bob

I so hate this is happening to you on the one hand but I am so happy to hear how wonderful HAL seems to be handling this. If I read correctly, they really are fighting hard for you. Odds are very good they have a wait list for that cruise and could easily go to that list to get a 'new guest' but that aren't doing that.

They are fighting for you and I LOVE THAT!

Best Wishes and Good Luck.

We are all holding our breathe for you.

Karen' date='

I can only imagine what you are going through. Work through HAL to get it resolved. That's all well and good.

But, here is a fact you have to keep in mind...if they are dishonest, and from what you've posted it sounds like they are at least not coming clean, then nothing you do at this point will make them so mad as to not resolve your problem. They may not resolve your problem because they don't have the assets or if (God forbid) they declare bankruptcy to avoid you. I see no downside in calling the Attorney General of the state they are located in (as suggested by another poster here), calling the local Better Business Bureau (and they typically may not be immediately responsive if you are only the first complainant), and calling a local newspaper where they are located. Expose these people for what they are.

Although it is frowned upon here, maybe somehow post a message that names the agency (maybe you have to be clever and bit devious to get away with it). Also, you have a blog...put the whole story on your blog naming names and where they are. Then invite us all to go there and read all about it. This can become viral given the readership of these boards. Again my point is, if they are trying to rip you off, then nothing like this will make the situation worse.

Now, having said all that, I would wait a couple more hours just to see if this resolves itself, and if not, start taking some or all of these actions before 5pm EDT before all of us back east start heading home from the offices.

Geez, I hope this gets fixed like real soon!

Bob[/quote']

In this instance...........

I would do exactly what HAL suggested I do.

If they say, Wait while we call.........

I would wait while they call.

I'd do as they recommend.

There are some TAs that are bad eggs. Wouldn't be great if there was a thread that listed those that we gave an F to. That would make Cruise Critic something that would help new cruisers avoid bad TA's.

As an alternative maybe a set of TA business practices that should turn on a light bulb would be helpfull. I think CC could post a set of "watch out for" rules.

Karen...please post the outcome and do not wait until tomorrrow! Call hal again and find out what has happened today. The longer this waits, the worse it gets. I do agree that hal is being helpful, however we all have to be our own advocates...YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF YOU!

The Attorney General's Office will not touch this, at least not right now! My two cents; call the wonderfull TA back and tell them that if they don't release that money to HAL by noon tomorrow, you will be in touch with the local law enforcement agency of the jurisdiction they are located in and will pursue criminal charges for grand theft as well as fraud to the fullest extent that the law will allow you to. See if that get's their attention! Good luck to you!

The Attorney General's Office will not touch this, at least not right now! My two cents; call the wonderfull TA back and tell them that if they don't release that money to HAL by noon tomorrow, you will be in touch with the local law enforcement agency of the jurisdiction they are located in and will pursue criminal charges for grand theft as well as fraud to the fullest extent that the law will allow you to. See if that get's their attention! Good luck to you!

Better than noon tomorrow, how about 5PM today? That way, if the agency fails to choke up the $$$, the gendarmes can be there first thing in the AM.

I too have been following this and my heart goes out to you as I can't imagine how stressful it must be. While it would be awful for anyone who's booked a short vacation cruise to feel that the money isn't going where it was supposed to, with such an extensive and expensive trip planned, it has to be even more stressful.

I look forward to hearing that everything is resolved quickly. Once the payment has been sent, can you then switch things to Hal direct so that this agency can't do anything on your reservation without your consent?

Better than noon tomorrow, how about 5PM today? That way, if the agency fails to choke up the $$$, the gendarmes can be there first thing in the AM.

Fraud cases can be complicated and will take lots of work in order to present a case that a prosecuting agency will take on and file. Most medium to large-size municipal l.e. agencies have detectives that specialize in "economic crimes" (paper crimes). In small agencies, a detective usually works "the gammit" which means "everything and then some" and the expertese on paper crimes is not always there because of it.

I have no clue if this "TA" is located in a big city, small city, county, etc. and who (municipal, county, state) does the policing in that particularly jurisdiction. Based on what I'm reading here, something reeks......bad! I believe Karen stated that this particular outfit is located on the east coast where it is already 4:35 PM and most detectives (unless a very large agency like LAPD) work a 7:30-5:00 PM shift.

Give them (the agency) the hot tip that she (Karen) will come after them unless they make this whole, soon!

Once the payment has been sent, can you then switch things to Hal direct so that this agency can't do anything on your reservation without your consent?

I certainly hope Karen can switch to HAL as soon as possible. It's not as though she'll be forfeiting a nice bon voyage gift from the first agency ....

Thanks AGAIN for all the support.

I haven't heard back from HAL yet......I will wait until 3:30 and then call them. I don't want to miss 'office hours' again. HAL and I are on west coast time and the TA is on east coast time......that presents a bit of a problem. They are already gone I am sure.

I am keeping track of all the ideas.......and if HAL gives me the idea that it is time to take further action I will.

The TA said the $300++ they owed would be wired this morning. Not going to do much good as HAL says it is over $8000. I don't know about you all....but being a retired educator this is not small change to me! I doubt it is to any of you either!!

Taking ONE DEEP BREATH until 3:30 pacific time.....then calling again.

Karen,

So sorry about this headache! Hopefully between you & HAL communicationg with the TA, it will be resolved.

If you seriously think the TA doesn't have the money. I'd get HAL to issue me the balance due notice, or copy therein. Then go back to the TA. If they say HAL is wrong, then ask to see their proof of payment to HAL. They would have a check or wire #. If they can't show you that, then you need to get really persistant that the total balance due to HAL be paid in full by tomorrow. If they spent your money on Latte's and loose women, or whatever else, they've comitted FRAUD. Not only a criminal case, but you could file a civil one as well against that agent personally.

I bet they think all they have to do is file bankruptcy, but in fraud cases the personal assets can be gone after.

Thanks AGAIN for all the support.

I haven't heard back from HAL yet......I will wait until 3:30 and then call them. I don't want to miss 'office hours' again. HAL and I are on west coast time and the TA is on east coast time......that presents a bit of a problem. They are already gone I am sure.

I am keeping track of all the ideas.......and if HAL gives me the idea that it is time to take further action I will.

The TA said the $300++ they owed would be wired this morning. Not going to do much good as HAL says it is over $8000. I don't know about you all....but being a retired educator this is not small change to me! I doubt it is to any of you either!!

$8000? Yikes. Not small change for most of us, I think.

I am so sorry you're having to go through this. But I commend HAL heartily for notifying you of this situation. That's extraordinarily good of them to do. Kudos, HAL!

I'll be watching to see what your 3:30 phone call results are....

Good luck Karen ..I know you must be stressed out by all this.

I would ask the TA for copies of all the paperwork ..payments to HAL

When you know for sure HAL has all payment made then take some action against the TA. No money should be owing after final payment date they are just playing games with you

See if they are a member of CLIA ..report them & their business practices if they are

http://www.cruising.org/planyourcruise/experts.cfm

We are rooting for you

Lyn

Karen, it might not be a bad idea to contact your credit card company and get input on your rights and the process for filing a claim. I would also keep a log of contacts you make with your TA, HAL and your Credit card companies. Include dates and the names of people you talk with.

Although it is frowned upon here' date=' maybe somehow post a message that names the agency (maybe you have to be clever and bit devious to get away with it).[/color'] Also, you have a blog...put the whole story on your blog naming names and where they are. Then invite us all to go there and read all about it. This can become viral given the readership of these boards. Again my point is, if they are trying to rip you off, then nothing like this will make the situation worse.

Don't do it! You'll get a warning via email and your post will be deleted. You could be banned from CC! :eek: If you have a blog, put it there.

I'm saying prayers for you that everything works out!

I think this is the very best suggestion I've heard yet! :mad: But wait until noon tomorrow as John suggested. I'm on pins and needles waiting with you Karen. I would probably be having the "big one" behind an $8,000 shortage.:eek: As another solo traveler, I know what it takes to save all that for a cruise. I do think it's super that HAL is working so hard for you. Makes me like them all the more!:)

Keep the faith and please let us all know the outcome.

Sue

Archived