"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

I am sorry regarding any misunderstanding in my message 106. I was not suggesting that any member post the names of bad egg TAs. I was suggesting that you start a board that would help inexperienced cruisers avoid the problems that Karen is having. I understand the CC rules I thought my post was clear that it was an idea to you.

Karen, I've been following this thread the past couple days and my stomach is in knots along with you! You've gotten some wonderful advice here (isn't CC great?!) and I agree with others who have said kudos to HAL for all they have done on your behalf.

It's almost 3:30, I'll be waiting to see what you find out!

Karen,

Call the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. The number is on its website.

Don't go into details, but ask them to send you the file a business complaint form. Then, when you talk with the TA, calmly tell them you have been in touch with the DA's office and official complaint is in process.

C

Oh Karen, I've been watching this thread, hoping for a fast, positive outcome for you. I am SO sorry you are going through this, and NOW so upset on your behalf that you still have no resolution!

edited to add: You have plenty of company sitting on those pins 'n needles with you! <3

Karen,

Call the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. The number is on its website.

Don't go into details, but ask them to send you the file a business complaint form. Then, when you talk with the TA, calmly tell them you have been in touch with the DA's office and official complaint is in process.

C

With all due respect to Chelly, if/when it is determined that a crime (grand theft/fraud) has been committed here, and let's hope the TA in question will still see the light and take care of business by forwarding the $$$ to HAL, it becomes a question of where the crime was committed and who has local jurisdiction. Sure, OP can bluff the TA by using the Washington State Attorney General's Office but the Washington AG office will not file this as a criminal case.

Based on what the OP is writing, plus if the TA does NOT come clean, you're looking at one count of Grand Theft and one count of Fraud committed by the TA in the state he/she does business in, i.e. in an unknown state on the east coast (And I realize the OP can not give us the identity and address of that TA in this forum). This potential crime was not committed in the OP's home state of Washington but in the TA's home state.

Once the OP (and to a lesser extent, HAL) cannot get any more satisfaction from the TA, it is up to he OP to contact her local law enforcement agency (municipal, county or state, depending on who provides that service in the jurisdiction the OP resides in) and request them to file a "courtesy (crime) report" on behalf of the agency that has jurisdiction over the location where the crime occurred.

If it was my agency which filed that 'courtesy' crime report, it would go to an Economic Crimes Section detective who would conduct a preliminary investigation to determine where the crime took place. That detective would then contact that particular law enforcement agency on the east coast and forward the crime report plus a form letter to the east coast agency with a request (on behalf of the victim) that they conduct a criminal investigation. Upon arrival of that paperwork to that agency, one of their detectives would conduct his/her own investigation in the hopes of gathering enough evidence to present the case to the local prosecuting agency (again, depending on the jurisisdiction, usually that District Attorney's office, in some cases the State Attorney's office) for filing purposes (including an arrest warrant for the suspect(s)

The unfortunate part in dealing with a case filed in a state other than the one the victim resides in, is that the victim will have to travel to that state in order for the prosecution to take place. (the prosecuting agency usually will work with the vict on that) As has been suggested, the victim is also fully within her rights to file civil action against the TA.

Let's hope it doesn't have to come to all this and that the TA will come through!:)

Late Monday update....

I just talked with HAL. She talked to a lady at the TA (I have been dealing with a man) earlier. HAL told them they HAD to have the money by Wednesday at the latest. She told them I had paid in full 16 months ago and there was no excuse for not paying. The TA said they would wire the money tomorrow......but the HAL lady didn't expect to actually receive it that soon. Now I am afraid that if they actually DO send the money they will only send the $300++. HAL said.....they KNOW what they really owe and are just stringing me along.

She suggested I call the TA again in the morning and ask if the money has been sent and then call her and tell her what they say. She is being very kind and supportive to me and has not doubted for a minute that I actually paid them WAAAAAAAAAY back when!

OK......another day to wait..............at least!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, SUPPORT, SUGGESTIONS and virtual HUGS!!!

This place is great!

Late Monday update....

I just talked with HAL. She talked to a lady at the TA (I have been dealing with a man) earlier. HAL told them they HAD to have the money by Wednesday at the latest. She told them I had paid in full 16 months ago and there was no excuse for not paying. The TA said they would wire the money tomorrow......but the HAL lady didn't expect to actually receive it that soon. Now I am afraid that if they actually DO send the money they will only send the $300++. HAL said.....they KNOW what they really owe and are just stringing me along.

She suggested I call the TA again in the morning and ask if the money has been sent and then call her and tell her what they say. She is being very kind and supportive to me and has not doubted for a minute that I actually paid them WAAAAAAAAAY back when!

OK......another day to wait..............at least!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, SUPPORT, SUGGESTIONS and virtual HUGS!!!

This place is great!

Karen ... when you call the T/A, as suggested by HAL, don't just check if the funds were sent to HAL. Instead, ask for the trackable waybill number(FedEx or similar overnite service) or the electronic transfer confirmation. I'm not a financial wiz, but I would hope there's some kind of reference/confirmation number when monies are wired. Maybe someone else here can confirm that.

What are the laws for taping phone conversations? I'd be starting to tape everything everyone says, if permitted, seeing as e-mail isn't working with the TA.

Be careful with that! There are federal and state laws that prohibit 'wire tapping' and obtaining consent from the person you are attempting to tape is a biggie. Check with your local law enforcement agency or on-line

It is illegal in Massachusetts to tape a telephone conversation unless all parties are aware of the taping.

Karen..... fingers and toes crossed for you.

AND huge Kudos to HAL. They are being champs in this case IMO.

I am sooooo sorry you have had to go through this! :(

I would be on the phone with my lawyer!! :eek::mad:

Thanks is exactly what I wouldn`t do at this time, the last thing Karen needs to deal with a lawyers bill, in addition to the headaches associated with the whole situation.

HAL is working with Karen, and I give them credit for this, obviously, for the past three weeks HAL has tried to resolve the matter with the ta, and has had little sucess (we don;t know if HAL was sucessful in having the ta forward some of the funds owed during this time, this cannot be determined based on the information posted here, because we don`t know how much the cruise was).

Without a doubt the ta is lying, I have no doubt that the ta has had finiancial problems from the time of Karens booking, since they asked for payment upfront and obviously used Karen`s funds to fund other peoples trips. I question their business practices, and if they continue to do this it`s just a matter of time until they file for bankrupcy. Realsitically, this can happen any minute.

Karen, if after you speak to HAL, and HAL hasn`t received the funds, I`d contact your credit card companies (both of them) and ask what they would recommend.

I can only imagine what you are going though. I hope you find some comfort in the support and suggestions that people on these forums have provided.

Never fear......I am taking a low key approach at this point and working with HAL. I just want to be able to go on my trip.....and I don't want to make this TA angry so that he messes up some other details. At this point I THINK we are making progress........but I have certainly noted all of your ideas in case I really do need them.

Never fear......I am taking a low key approach at this point and working with HAL. I just want to be able to go on my trip.....and I don't want to make this TA angry so that he messes up some other details. At this point I THINK we are making progress........but I have certainly noted all of your ideas in case I really do need them.

Ya know, Karen, once the monies are in HAL's hot little hands, I wouldn't imagine there would be an issue with you transferring this booking to HAL. Normally, the T/A would have to release the booking, but under these extreme circumstances, I would hope HAL would make an exception. If HAL will take the booking ... you will undoubtedly receive excellent service and, most importantly, you will deprive this clown agency of any commission monies they think they are due.

When this situation is concluded satisfactorily, would be a nice gesture on your part to write the HAL corporate office, think Stein Kruse or someone just below him in the food chain, to commend the excellent service you are receiving from the gal at HAL.

As I followed your thread today between doing other things, I kept thinking "Uncle Bernie" ... as in Bernie Maddoff. Yeah, what's been done to you is a variation of the Bernie Maddoff theme.

KK,

I've been following your posts and share in your frustration and pain. I have to believe that with the economy the way it is, HAL will work hard with you to help this whole thing get resolved. It's in their best interest, financially and otherwise (especially now that so many of us are following your story here). And, as others have mentioned, use your credit card companies to help you.

I'm sitting here in NYS on pins and needles - keep us posted!

Amy:)

......... Odds are very good they have a wait list for that cruise and could easily go to that list to get a 'new guest' but that aren't doing that.{quote]

Au contraire ma chere: HAL is having a difficult time selling cabins for this long and expensive cruise, as they are for next year's GWV and Grand Asia/Australia cruise. The economy is more than likely to blame since these cruises are very popular and normally sell out very quickly.

The good news is, as you say: HAL is trying to help Karen sort out this total mess, and for that they do deserve Kudos - especially for the lady to came into the office on her day off and found Karen's message and started the ball rolling.

Valerie

This is just a horrible situation! I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this. Now, I'm worried about our upcoming cruise because I booked with an agent we don't know at all. However, my account has been billed and I'm pretty sure the credit card receipt even said Holland America. Do some agents have you pay them directly?

Ya know, Karen, once the monies are in HAL's hot little hands, I wouldn't imagine there would be an issue with you transferring this booking to HAL. Normally, the T/A would have to release the booking, but under these extreme circumstances, I would hope HAL would make an exception. If HAL will take the booking ... you will undoubtedly receive excellent service and, most importantly, you will deprive this clown agency of any commission monies they think they are due.

Good points here: this Agency absolutely does not deserve any commission whatsoever. You have a lot to think of right now but transferring the booking to HAL does make sense.

Now, as to "undoubtedly receive excellent service", etc. Please remember that if you are upgraded to a suite then you have already invited me over for a drink. I think that I have that in writing somewhere (Roll Call board?);):D

Seriously, I am on pins and needles with you and am hoping that you get some resolution ASAP and I am looking forward to meeting you aboard ship at the end of September (I'm boarding ship in L.A.).

Valerie:)

Karen - just one more person sending you my best wishes. As frustrating and scary as this is, I'm sure this is going to work out for you. HAL seems to be on your side, and that's wonderful.

I second Colleen's sentiments: bubble bath and beverage of choice are in order.

Here's a hug: *H* Keep thinking positive! ---Patricia

Good points here: this Agency absolutely does not deserve any commission whatsoever. You have a lot to think of right now but transferring the booking to HAL does make sense.

That's a little further down the road to think about. First things first, and first is getting the money from the TA to HAL.

After that, though, I have to wonder if transferring the booking is possible. Apparently, the agency gave a huge discount if the full fare was paid in advance. It looks like they were discounting out of their commission, and HAL is due more than Karen paid. The agency is looking to that commission to get some of that back.

What a mess. I hope it works out in your favor quickly, Karen.

Archived