"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

HAL certainly is going the extra mile to help you, but the bottom line is they have to get paid in full and final payment date has already passed. If it turns out that your TA does not have the funds available to send in your payment to HAL, which I think is a possibility, then you may have to ante up the amount that is presently owed HAL and then go through your credit card companies to get the amount you have already paid the TA that was not forwarded to HAL deducted from your cards. Disputing a charge takes quite a while to do. The cc companies have to investigate the situation, get your story and records from you and the same from your TA before they will make a judgement that you are owed the money back. This takes time and not a matter of a few days or even weeks. (We used to own 2 businesses and occasionally if a customer disputed a charge, as you will be doing, we and the customer had to go through this procedure.)

You very well might be thinking right now of whether you are willing to pay this amount yourself to HAL and then go after your TA through the cc companies. HAL has been very good about this, but at some point in the near future they are going to have to be paid or cancel the reservation.

That's a little further down the road to think about. First things first, and first is getting the money from the TA to HAL.

After that, though, I have to wonder if transferring the booking is possible. Apparently, the agency gave a huge discount if the full fare was paid in advance. It looks like they were discounting out of their commission, and HAL is due more than Karen paid. The agency is looking to that commission to get some of that back.

What a mess. I hope it works out in your favor quickly, Karen.

Indeed, transferring the booking, if it even is possible, is not the first step here ... and I did suggest that as a possibility once HAL has their monies. The OP indicated a concern that if she hacks off the T/A he may find another way to mess up the details of her sailing ... and, if the booking is with HAL, that would no longer be Karen's concern.

As for the discount ... is it possible that some or all of that was an AMEX benefit rather than the agency using some/all of the commission to get Karen's monies early to presumably use to make payments on behalf of other clients?

Except for using one client's money to pay another's fare, I would think any T/A would prefer to have HAL eat the roughly 3% credit card processing fee rather than absorb it themselves.

I will be anxious to get home tomorrow to read Karen's updates and, hopefully, her very good news that all is well with her dream cruise.

Without knowing the terms of Karen's credit cards, we cannot know if they will even entertain the dispute seeing as the charges were made well over a year ago. I believe she said April 2008. Hard to say what the banks/credit card companies will do.

Valerie..... You probably are right. I have no way of knowing how full or how many vacancies there are on that itinerary. Hope Karen's cabin is one that will be occupied by HER.

That's a little further down the road to think about. First things first, and first is getting the money from the TA to HAL.

After that, though, I have to wonder if transferring the booking is possible. Apparently, the agency gave a huge discount if the full fare was paid in advance. It looks like they were discounting out of their commission, and HAL is due more than Karen paid. The agency is looking to that commission to get some of that back.

What a mess. I hope it works out in your favor quickly, Karen.

Actually, depending on your TA, that's not a huge discount at all. HAL does offer the 3% discount on Grand Voyages if you pay in full by a certain date and my TA always gives another 5% discount off the fare, no matter the length of the cruise. However, I don't usually get a bottle of wine and/or some OBC from this agency but the savings on the cruise more than make up for that.

Valerie:D

Except for using one client's money to pay another's fare, I would think any T/A would prefer to have HAL eat the roughly 3% credit card processing fee rather than absorb it themselves.

quote]

Of course, none of us knows right now the rationale behind the clown agency's offering a 5% discount if Karen paid in full way back when. And we don't know what they did with her money. (EDITED TO SAY: I now read it was an AmEx discount. If these clowns are an AmEx agency, this gives Karen yet another place to turn ... I don't think AmEx would be too happy that one of their travel representatives has done this)

I will say, however, that I know one agency owner who did exactly this: opened a merchant account so that he could accept credit cards; put the customers' credit card monies in the bank; and paid other operating expenses from those funds. He felt that the 3% processing fee was well worth it. He is now out of business, after being the Page One story in the local newspaper.

I'm hoping this isn't what is happening in this case, but unscrupulous businesspeople often find it tempting to have the cash in their hands however they can get it. And d**n the future outcome. Sad, but true.

What a thing to have to go through!

I hope everything works out and also I think Amex can help you some as well if you do not get this settled with your travel agent. Having them advocate for you and even strongly threaten the TA company would not hurt. And isn't there protection from this sort of thing when you purchase with a credit card?

What you have said about HAL makes me feel good about using them for our first cruise. Everyone there has been so helpful and patient when I have had questions.

I probably shouldn't have speculated on how this came to be. Sometimes knowing what happened helps in finding the solution, but not this time. I wonder if we will ever know the full story. :confused:

That could be important to others, because if there has been wrong-doing, then eventually someone is going to get burned. Isn't that what happened with another travel company not all that long ago?

quote]

Of course, none of us knows right now the rationale behind the clown agency's offering a 5% discount if Karen paid in full way back when. And we don't know what they did with her money. (EDITED TO SAY: I now read it was an AmEx discount. If these clowns are an AmEx agency, this gives Karen yet another place to turn ... I don't think AmEx would be too happy that one of their travel representatives has done this)

That is true only if the ta is still associated with American Express. If not, AMEX wouldn`t be able to do anything.

[quote name=camp637;20453401

Of course' date=' none of us knows right now the rationale behind the clown agency's offering a 5% discount if Karen paid in full way back when[/quote]

HAL does always offer the 3% discount on "Grand Voyages" if the full amount due is paid by a certain date. My TA always offers a 5% discount over and above HAL fares and I don't consider them a "clown agency" by any stretch of the imagination. That said, my TA is truly reputable and has a good relationship with HAL - one of their biggest bookers.

Still hoping sincerely that Karen gets it all sorted out and that she and I will meet onboard the ms Amsterdam at the end of September.

Valerie:)

I probably shouldn't have speculated on how this came to be. Sometimes knowing what happened helps in finding the solution, but not this time. I wonder if we will ever know the full story. :confused:

That could be important to others, because if there has been wrong-doing, then eventually someone is going to get burned. Isn't that what happened with another travel company not all that long ago?

Yes, Ruth. It was a major cruise booking agency from (I think) the New Jersey area. They did exactly this and suddenly shut off the lights and closed the door. Some folks lost a lot of money and who knows how many cruises were missed.

I remember Jade did considerable research about that company and there was a very lengthy, excellent thread to which she contributed very useful info.

Yes RuthC

And the HAL CC moderator did allow the name of the TA in question to be named in this forum. Of course at this time we are only speculating whether or not Karens TA has violated any laws.

Rich

Karen, I've been following this thread since the beginning and I can't tell you how badly I feel for you. You should be able to relax and get ready for the cruise of a lifetime, but instead you're experiencing a bucket full of anxiety. I certainly hope your TA comes through and sends the full amount to HAL tomorrow.

I'm just wondering if you're having this much trouble with the agency, how many others are there who have booked vacations with them and their monies haven't been directed to the proper companies? Scary, but you're surely not the only one!

I'm sending you cyber-hugs and good wishes for tomorrow - try to relax as best you can.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Gerry

Yes RuthC

And the HAL CC moderator did allow the name of the TA in question to be named in this forum. Of course at this time we are only speculating whether or not Karens TA has violated any laws. Rich

By the time CC allowed it, it was public information.

What exactly are CC rules about mentioning the names of TAs? I thought we were not allowed to promote a particular TA.

In Karen's case she would certainly not be promoting them.

Once this situation is resolved I think CC should name and shame this TA so that other people would not have to go through what Karen is experiencing.

Karen, like others, I have been following your thread. Fingers are crossed for you over here in Spain.

The are on the east coast......and I will try that in the morning. I have emailed them. Hopefully I don't get the same "Out of the office until Monday" message there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Karen

My Agency has an emergency number to ring in in case of any problems,maybe amongst your paperwork you may find a similar number to ring,

Hope your problem is a minor one and soon sorted

Another point. Karen said early on in this thread

"I checked with HAL to be sure it was a reputable company. Then I paid."

If HAL told her that this was a reputable company they must be feeling some responsibility for this situation. Maybe that is why they trying so hard to resolve it.

Karen, when HAL said they were reputable, was this on the telephone or in writing (email or letter)? What exactly did they say?

If they were seen to recommend this TA then you may have a case against HAL. Just a suggestion.

No...HAL didn't really RECOMMEND them. I asked if it was indeed a legitimate company that they did business with. The answer was "Yes we deal with them frequently."

It was just a person on the phone.....I have no record of it. HAL wasn't even aware of this call when they called me about the situation. I told the lady that I had called and asked the question. She replied that things have likely changed......that was 16 months ago. I found that to be a reasonable response.

What exactly are CC rules about mentioning the names of TAs? I thought we were not allowed to promote a particular TA.

In Karen's case she would certainly not be promoting them.

Once this situation is resolved I think CC should name and shame this TA so that other people would not have to go through what Karen is experiencing.

Karen, like others, I have been following your thread. Fingers are crossed for you over here in Spain.

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

"This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

"Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#5

The moderators delete posts denigrating a travel agency as well as those touting an agency. It is a sensible policy. We would not want a situation where posters could manipulate a panic about a healthy travel agency just to drive them out of business. In this case, my prediction is that Kween Karen will get her cruise, the agency in question will go out of business, and we will find out its name in due time.

Karen, I've been following this thread since the beginning and I can't tell you how badly I feel for you. You should be able to relax and get ready for the cruise of a lifetime, but instead you're experiencing a bucket full of anxiety.

I'm sending you cyber-hugs and good wishes for tomorrow - try to relax as best you can.

Karen, Same from us. We hope everything works out..........Take Care, Vicki

I would be out of my mind with worry, you are doing the best thing talking on CC...its got to help. Everyone feel this in their gut.

BUT.... I have one question...and maybe I missed something along the way since i started reading this over the wkend...

BUT .... did the charges not show up on your credit card when payment was paid in full? I haunt my CC statement on line until I see the charge has posted and have called my TA to inquire when it did not, but it showed almost right away and was not related to my call I am sure....I had just waited long enough that I was out of my comfort zone and started calling.

I have great confidence this will work out....switch TA's for the next time, after all HAL wants their money ;)

Archived