Best footwear for touring Greek Isles

lockwood

I've heard that tennis shoes in Europe...specifically, the Greek Isles, are not appropriate footwear. As the ports seem to be rugged terrain such as cobblestones, cart paths, steps and walls, I would appreciate any recommendations re: favorite footwear for daytime touring for both men and women. Thank you for sharing your experiences, insights, and favorite footwear.

I like MBT shoes better than anything else. They look a little clunky, but they still look less touristy than tennis shoes. You will need to get used to them prior to the cruise because you will use muscles in your legs that are not normally used. After I got used to them I could wear them all day and my back would not get tired as it did with other shoes.

I just returned from a cruise with stops in Tunisia, Malta, Crete, Egypt, Israel, cyprus and turkey. I wore them at each port of call.

Although MBT makes shoes that look similar to tennis shoes, I chose a suede shoe that does not look like a tennis shoe.

I wore my New Balance Walker for 3 weeks while touring Greece and Turkey. One pair of white and one pair of black leather walking shoes. My Black leather walker double to pair with black slacks for dinner. My husband also wore 1 pair and packed a 2ne pair of black leather walkers.

If you expect to walk on any of the beach area, you will need some type of water shoes.

MSEm

Last year, after reading suggestions on this board, I invested in a pair of Wolkys. They were fairly expensive but one of the best investments I have ever made. They kind of look like a Eurotrash version of MaryJanes, but lordy, they are comfortable. All day on the cobbles of Scandinavia and northern Europe.

Dansko is wonderful too, and Propet, an American brand that is not too expensive and a great walking shoe. They even offer a 1,000 mile tread guarantee! But nothing is as comfortable as my Wolkys after a long day trekking around.

Jana

Wear something that is comfortable for you.

I have worn my TEVA walking sandals all over without issue.

They have a thicker sole than the beach type version.

I have worn sneakers but find them too warm

Whatever you decide make sure you get them broken in at home.

Lyn

I find I need different pairs -- same pair everyday does not let them air dry and change stress points on your foot. I like socks -- dorky looking but keeps friction down, wicks moisture and keeps little rocks out. All shoes for day wear should be sturdy, keep the heel in place (cobblestones cause killer turned ankles), be lightweight, be cushioned and be of a breathable material so your feet don't sweat.

I could care less that tennis shoes look American -- so does everything else about an American (body stance, attitude, voice level, LAUGH, etc. --). This also holds true for almost any country -- each culture imprints differently.

Go look at the fashion forum of CC. It's a hoot on shoes. Always something going on in that foroum and people do get opinionated:D

I don't know how they are going to perform on my cruise in 5 days, but I bought Ecco's Yucatan sandals and have been walking in them every day for a little over 2 months now. While they did not need any break-in time, I have been "testing" them on the trails around here, both paved and unpaved. They are, by far, the most comfortable sandals I have ever owned, so much so that I bought a second pair in a different color. A gal's gotta have her options! :D

The only negative I can find is that they are a bit pricey, but by buying online, discounts can be found.

My husband and I were on a b2b cruise 2 months ago throughout the Med and he and I both wore sneakers everywhere on the Greek Islands. I wouldn't worry too much about being perceived as a tourist. I usually wear a small backpack carrying the essentials of travel and we both have honking big cameras around our necks so we will never be mistaken as natives! A lovely woman in Rhodes told me that American women walk with their heads up and take longer strides than most other women in the world. She said that we "walk free" which I thought was terrific!

Wear whatever feels comfortable to you. I would suggest, however, that you wear a shoe with toe cover on unpaved areas or ones that are gravel surfaces for protection from cuts, stubs, and dirt, rather than open-toe sandals. Just my preference.

I second the vote for Ecco Yucatan sandals--I have never had a more comfortable pair--worth every penny. But that being said I think a running shoe is also necessary for some terrains---I like Aetrex---the lightest shoes I have ever had. Both of these shoes have been very good to my poor old feet with their plantar fasciitis!!!

I found lots of Europeans wearing runners but they generally were any colour but white!!

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever brand of sneakers/walking shoes you wear bring along a couple of those hanging air freshners that you use in autos. My husband and I each wore sneakers in Italy, Greece, France and Germany. On those cobblestones they are a necessity. When you take off the shoes place a hanging air freshner in each shoe and they're fresh as new for the next day. Put them in your shoes and then in a plastic bag when packing suitcases. No more smelly shoes!!

west1lake

Whatever brand of sneakers/walking shoes you wear bring along a couple of those hanging air freshners that you use in autos. My husband and I each wore sneakers in Italy, Greece, France and Germany. On those cobblestones they are a necessity. When you take off the shoes place a hanging air freshner in each shoe and they're fresh as new for the next day. Put them in your shoes and then in a plastic bag when packing suitcases. No more smelly shoes!!

west1lake

Great idea~ thanks! We had to stop in a pharmacy and buy foot spray, my DH's shoes were smelling so bad. :D No time for them to air out from day to day usage.

Archived