Disappointed with upgrade

Kittycatwlv

It's really quite simple to me, if i don't get what I feel is fair I'll take my $$$ else where. It's a shame people are so defensive of a business, someday you'll want something some where that doesn't cost anything and would be good customer relations and maybe then gain some empathy.

Then I would suggest booking a guarantee on another cruiseline and complaining when you are not on the same floor as your friends. Sorry, you are setting yourself up for, and your friends (and probably many other happy cruisers) a miserable cruise. Why not quit while you are ahead, cancel, and save everyone the complaining.

I hope you have a good time on your cruise. It isn't nice they didn't place you together, but I would call the loyalty number and voice my displeasure. I hope it doesn't result in a DOWNGRADE for the friends.

We used to book guarantees, balcony or suite, if we were travelling alone on a cruise, and we always got a very good assignment, sometimes at significant savings. I do not do it any more, I guess because time is so precious to us now, and if we got a "bad" cabin we would not be as happy, but I think I could have fun on a cruise even if we had an inside.

It is what it is, and when you booked you knew there was no promise of all being together.

I would call, express myself, and then forgettaboutit and enjoy your vacation!

Hope you have fun!

Comfortcove

You missed the whole point. It's about being separated by four decks from our friends and the lack of loyalty. We didn't book specific cabins I took three GTY's and asked we placed together on the same deck, not a demanding request by any means. I would be happy with the category I booked if we were together

If it was so important to be together, how come you did not book it this way? I know the answer. It's all about the $$$. I find it hard to believe that you are elite with Princess and did not know that booking a GTY would not insure that you are together. I am going on only my third cruise and know this. We always travel with several couples. We bite the bullet and pay the few extra dollars for the balcony cabins we want in a row. If that is what you wanted than that is what you should have booked. Why make a big stink that you didn't something that you didn't pay for. And then lambast Princess for it instead of taking responsibilty for it yourself.

Okay, any upgrade should be good right? I booked three cabins (GTY) on the Sapphire one for myself and two for two other couples new to cruising. I got the $25 preferral do Princess knows they are new, and I am Elite. Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.

500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

My oh my ! I was one of those original 500 that chose silence over speaking my mind on the original post since I couldn't think of much nice to say but now that I've come on-line again and see this post how can I not speak seeing as the op herself requested more post?

For me its not at all being afraid of sticking up for the individual, never had a problem doing that my entire life. But when an individual is wrong they are simply wrong. I understood disapointment for the op in not being assigned to the same deck as her friends and that diappointment is fine but calling in her first post deck 5 an undesireable deck after booking a guarentee when her first time cruising friends were given deck 8 and complaining that their rooms were worth $410 pp more than hers? All on the name that she deserved better because she was Elite??????? REALLY hard to respond positively to that:eek:

Fortunately there are a LOTS of GREAT Elite Princess cruisers out there but unfortunately there seems to be a run lately of Elite pasengers here on cc that seem to think their loyalty to the crusieline entitles them to MUCH MUCH MUCH more in all ways than all others cruising on Princess. Kind of sad IMHO:( Had one on a recent Princess cruise at our dining table, NOT a pleasant experience especially when 6 at the table were first time Princess cruisers. Hope they'll all decide to return to Princess again but somehow I have my doubts at least any time in the near future.

I do agree with your concern and I agree that if they upgraded your friends they should have upgraded you and kept you together or not changed your rooms. We haven't cruised Princess that much, never upgraded, however a couple first timer who booked an inside cabin got upgraded to a PH. We met them on the last day as they were saying goodbye to their room, they will NEVER cruise again, for them a one time thing only, did not like it did not want to cruise, gift from kids. We, on the other hand could have been put in the suite or someone like us that Princess knows could afford a suite a may book one in the future. Frustrating, yes. We tried to book (months out) a suite and told all were taken - sure, however, we do not think everyone "paid" for their suite.

Let us know if other lines treat you better.

I can understand your initial reaction. I would probably feel the same way if that happened to me - for about a minute. Then I would feel very happy for my friends because they will have nicer cabins on their first cruise, which could mean that you will have company on future cruises.

I sincerely hope you are airing your frustration on these boards and not in front of your friends because there are a lot of cruise lines out there but good friends are hard to find.

I also hope you can get over your disappointment and can enjoy your trip, whatever your plans turn out to be.

SOUR GRAPES! I certainly hope that your friends know you are about to cancel their vacation plans because you are mad that they got a better cabin. I am sure they would all be okay with that! :eek: Like other posters have said----I am sure you wouldn't be writing anything about this if YOU were upgraded and they were both left on a different deck. Then it would be okay because you're elite right? Shoot, I haven't ever been on a cruise before and even I know what happens when you book a Guarantee!

MalibuBarbie

You know, I just got to thinking that Kittycat missed out on a great opportunity here. She should have told her friends that Princess offered her an upgrade (seeing as how she's an Elite passenger...in more ways than one :rolleyes:) but that she unselfishly turned it down and requested that Princess upgrade her friends instead.

Just think about it....she probably wouldn't have had to buy a drink for herself on the entire cruise.

:D

Well, OP, since you asked for us all to stand up and be counted, I'll chime in: What the heck?? Would you like some cheese with that whine? Man up, read Princess's policy on guarantee bookings, and get over your Elite self.

This is so ridiculous...who books a guarantee when there's three parties that want to be together? :rolleyes:

Exactly the point!

However, I feel bad the OP mis-understood the GTY request process. This just makes me see how difficult it must be for mass market businesses to meet the expectations of thousands upon thousands of customers in situations like this. Each one having different expectations of what is 'right' and 'what they are due' for contributing to the business.

One persons expectations are definitely different than anothers. I bet Princess gets complaints on the exact same topic, one customer saying I want a higher deck another saying I want a lower deck. One saying staying together is more important and the next one saying the upgrade is more important. It must be difficult to strike a balance that even remotely keeps any of us demanding customers happy with anything. :rolleyes:

So we are all in agreement then right? Asking for a GTY overrode the request for staying together since they are in conflict. OP could have asked to stay together, problem solved. Or asked for a GTY and maybe an upgrade and lived with being apart. Asking for both was a million to one odds it might happen, and it didn't.

Don't cancel the cruise, just go and enjoy with your friends and be happy! :)

We always book specific cabins when we are booking multiples. We also were upgraded on our first cruise with Carnival and feel very lucky! It has not happened since and that's o.k. because I always book a cabin that I'll be happy with. I'm just glad I'm cruising.

They wouldn't for me. My friends are happy to downgrade to be on the same deck. They don't care if I cancel and go to RCL, one couple never cruised before and left things to me.

The point that is missed here is the lack of customer service. Most business' want your business and want to make you happy especially when there is no cost to them. 500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

You shouldn't get any support since you are dead wrong. Only my 3rd cruise coming up on Princess out of 20 so I'm no cheerleader.

Seems like you are saying that you didn't get your way so you are taking your ball and going home.

Bill

Okay, any upgrade should be good right? I booked three cabins (GTY) on the Sapphire one for myself and two for two other couples new to cruising. I got the $25 preferral do Princess knows they are new, and I am Elite. Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.

is this booking for Alaska or Mexico? and what dates?

Rob

Well, I book alot of guarantees. I wait and see what cabin I get assigned. If I like it great, if not I call and see what can be done. Sometimes a simple move inside the category or a downgrade to low and middle for my sea sickness can be done for free. Sometimes an upgrade is available for a small amount.

But I don't EXPECT anything. Occasionally, I'm not happy with the result but I don't go to the extreme of threatening to cancel, posting negative info on a cruise board, getting so MAD that I start sounding crazy and attacking strangers.......

Take a Chill Pill.

PLEASE cancel and book with another line. If you get this worked up over something YOU did by not booking the cabins you wanted, then I am sure you will be one of those cruisers that complains about everything on board, saves chairs because you feel you "deserve" one and another passenger doesn't, etc., etc. Frankly, you sound like the type of passenger I dread on cruises, and I feel sorry for your friends. They will most likely get a bad taste for cruising because of your whining.

Well, kitty, I was also one of the readers who originally chose to stay out of this, but since you asked for feedback and are still defending your position, here goes. A guarantee is a gamble to save money, plain and simple. You have already said that it was the low price of the guarantee that got your friends to book, and all of you should have realized that the trade off is you have no control over your assignment. Why on earth would you think you should be able to have your cake and eat it too, as the old saying goes? Princess is clear about the perks they offer to their Elite and Platinum cruisers, and nowhere does it mention prioity for an upgrade. I'm quite sure you will find this at the other cruise lines, as well. Please, try to get over your disappointment, and try not to act so entitled.

Well, kitty, I was also one of the readers who originally chose to stay out of this, but since you asked for feedback and are still defending your position, here goes. A guarantee is a gamble to save money, plain and simple. You have already said that it was the low price of the guarantee that got your friends to book, and all of you should have realized that the trade off is you have no control over your assignment. Why on earth would you think you should be able to have your cake and eat it too, as the old saying goes? Princess is clear about the perks they offer to their Elite and Platinum cruisers, and nowhere does it mention prioity for an upgrade. I'm quite sure you will find this at the other cruise lines, as well. Please, try to get over your disappointment, and try not to act so entitled.

I haven't figure out OP's real bone of contention with Princess. For now, it just looks likes she wants more compensation for bringing four new customers to Princess. So I guess she feels that $25 is just too cheap. The upgrade/downgrade stuff is just making my head spin. I don't book guarantees because I am always afraid that I am going to stuck in a bad place. On Carnival, there are cabins below pools and the guarantee cabins seem to be the ones under the pool deck who hear the chairs being dragged early in the AM. I am not sure what the big risks are on booking Princess guarantees and I guess I don't want to find out.

I do agree with your concern and I agree that if they upgraded your friends they should have upgraded you and kept you together or not changed your rooms. We haven't cruised Princess that much, never upgraded, however a couple first timer who booked an inside cabin got upgraded to a PH. We met them on the last day as they were saying goodbye to their room, they will NEVER cruise again, for them a one time thing only, did not like it did not want to cruise, gift from kids. We, on the other hand could have been put in the suite or someone like us that Princess knows could afford a suite a may book one in the future. Frustrating, yes. We tried to book (months out) a suite and told all were taken - sure, however, we do not think everyone "paid" for their suite.

Let us know if other lines treat you better.

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend. I did not ask for an upgrade, I asked for a downgrade to be on the same deck as my friends who would keep their lovely upgrade. I wouldn't dream to ask them to downgrade to my deck. RCL does give upgrades 21 days before sailing based on seniority, not random until they have upgraded all their top tier members, that's a real loyalty program.

My desire to be with friends required a downgrade which would mean Princess would make more money on my vacant ocean view cabin while i got what I paid for , an obstructed ocean view on deck 8. My friends got moved to the forward cabins on deck 8 which are unobstructed. I am quite pleased for them and when i told them they were not thrilled I would be on a different either. A simple request which caused so many people such angst. Most business' want to make their frequent customers happy especially when it saves them money as this request would. All this nonsense about entitlement is just that nonsense.

This is not about entitlement regarding upgrades.

I do believe Princess should reward their most cruised passengers with upgrades and go down the line in a consistent manner with their upgrades the way most business do to reward loyalty but that's not what my post was about, that's just what people want to read. How Princess handles their upgrades is separate topic.

I will come back and let you'all know how Princess handles my simple request, and for the person who asked, I have never taken a GTY I always book a balcony but the price was so good my friends said they'd try their cruise so I booked it for us.

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend.

You are right.

If you read about "guarantee" cabins you would have known that the cruise line only guarantees you a cabin in the category you chose, but will assign your cabin to you at check-in.

A "guarantee" means that you are guaranteed to get a cabin in the category you have chosen, "or better". For example, if you book the lowest category on a guarantee, you really can't lose, because it likely positions you at either the bow or the stern, inside, on the lowest deck - you can only do better. If however you book a higher category on a "guarantee" which normally offers a mid-ship location, you could be "upgraded" to a higher category, perhaps on a higher deck, but not be located mid-ship. The cabins are not assigned until either very close to sailing day, or on sailing day itself. If you are the type of person who prefers certainty or is choosy about where your cabin is located, you should simply book a cabin, even if it costs you more. If you are able to "go with the flow", the guarantee often gives the best value, and possible upgrades to better cabins.

IMHO, there is no ryhme or reason. It's obviuosly computer generated with the computer told what to do by the marketing people. Whatever the case might be, I hope you enjoy whatever cruise plans you finally decide upon.....:):):)

Bob

Archived