Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

To get Mexican coke and sprite made with real sugar!

YUM We really love the Mexican Fresca made with cane sugar (here in Canada it is the yucky diet stuff).

We have hit the Walmart on the way back from a cruise day trip to Mismaloya to grab cheap bottles of Cazadores respondo (220 pesos a liter).

YUM We really love the Mexican Fresca made with cane sugar (here in Canada it is the yucky diet stuff).

We have hit the Walmart on the way back from a cruise day trip to Mismaloya to grab cheap bottles of Cazadores respondo (220 pesos a liter).

REALLY???? they make Fresca with sugar ???? It has always been sugar free here and as I am sweet enough and can not have suger I am really glad to know that.

Question..do any other diet pops in Mex. have sugar ??????

REALLY???? they make Fresca with sugar ???? It has always been sugar free here and as I am sweet enough and can not have suger I am really glad to know that.

Question..do any other diet pops in Mex. have sugar ??????

They made a diet Fresca as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Amazed each time how many fellow cruisers head straight across street to PV's Wal-Mart..including us. Thumb-drive, SDcards, Kodak Photo Kiosk? Yes. Toothpaste? Yep. Needle/thread? Yep. Shoe-laces, Sun-screen, medications? Yep. And they take US $Dollars$. Bam. Done. No-brainer on long cruises. Locomotiveman

• 1 month later...

The one time we were in PV, we had gone on an all day zip line tour but did see the Wal-Mart across the street. On returning to the ship we saw a lot of pax returning with shopping bags. That night in the theater the CD asked how many had gone across the street to the Wal-Mart and we were amazed at the number of hands that went up. I never would have guessed it was that many!

We will be visiting PV again this fall but we will not be going to that store. There is way too much to see and do in PV to spend it in wally world.

Guest USC Traveler

i've bought mexican vanilla at wal-mart in puerto vallarta. it's very good quality and good pricing. many different size bottles too!

i've bought mexican vanilla at wal-mart in puerto vallarta. it's very good quality and good pricing. many different size bottles too!

We just did the same! It was much cheaper than what we saw at our previous port call at the pier in Chiapas.

Hummm...does everyone carry their Costco and Sam's cards when in Mexico -- or is there some 'day pass' available or anything?

Sam's will issue a daycard if you show your cruise card. No daypasses anymore for people staying in Vallarta.

Costco doesnot issue daypasses, only to those that lost their cards.

I've been to the Walmarts in Hawaii and Cabo. In Hawaii for really inexpensive Hawaiian-themed beach stuff and souvenirs and in Cabo for food and drink for the SIL's timeshare condo where we stay for a week. It's a ritual for us...we fly into Cabo, head to our unit and unpack, hit the pool/beach for a couple of hours, take showers, and head out to Costco to do our grocery shopping for the week. You get many different things there than you can get in the U.S. We especially love the bakery in the Walmart that offers all kinds of Mexican goodies. Booze is super cheap also. You'll also find all kinds of exotic fruits.:D

I've been cruising to Mexico since the 1980s. I've also spent a lot of land vacations there. Sometimes I just get off the ship to go over to Walmart and buy my godsons a souvenir. I prefer to spend most of my time on the ship at this point.

Once in a while I do go ashore for fun when I am traveling with friends who haven't been before. They always want to stop at the Walmart on the way back to the ship in Puerto Vallarta. Mostly, they want to see how different it is and buy soda. I also like to buy vanilla for my chef husband.

We go to the Sam's Club, next door.

th_DSCF0199.jpg

(click)

I have photos of some liquor prices posted in my PhotoBucket.

gary

The quoted post above is from quite some time ago (years actually) but the liquor prices in the pictures are amazing. Are prices at Sam's (or Wal Mart) still this low or have they gone up significantly?

(I don't have a Sam's club card but various posters have said that a cruise card gets you a day pass so that works for me. I do have a Costco card but haven't seen any posts stating liquor was incredibly cheap there and it also doesn't seem to be as conveniently located.)

The quoted post above is from quite some time ago (years actually) but the liquor prices in the pictures are amazing. Are prices at Sam's (or Wal Mart) still this low or have they gone up significantly?

(I don't have a Sam's club card but various posters have said that a cruise card gets you a day pass so that works for me. I do have a Costco card but haven't seen any posts stating liquor was incredibly cheap there and it also doesn't seem to be as conveniently located.)

Adult beverages, made in Mexico, have gone up a little but still remain a real bargain. Grocery stores, in general, have some of the best liquor selection & prices in Vallarta. There is a Soriano's immediately south of the port.

It is helpful to know the general price of liquor back home so you can judge what is a bargain in Mexico.

Keep in mind that posted prices are in Mexican pesos and the exchange rate today is just a little more than 13 pesos for 1 USD. The "$" is used in Mexico and the rare pricing in US Dollars will specifically have USD displayed.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers