Do you not feel really alone?

tbear2762

Thank you, Yellowbird!

I'll be 3 nights in Istanbul pre-cruise(3rd night on the ship), then 2 nights post-cruise in Athens (1st night on the ship). Then, I'm staying 2 nights in Paris en route home. (One cannot simply change planes in Paris, you know! That's like a mini-free side trip!)

I'll be sure to post on CC how it all went!

This will likely be my last posting before I leave tomorrow. Check back with you all after 9/24!

I have also cruised solo a lot and have never felt alone or lonely. I have met many wonderful people and even been "adopted" by a few. I also enjoy talking to people while in line or an elevator. My room stewards have always treated me like I was the only passenger they were responsible for.

I will be cruising solo again on Freedom on the 20th and will leave on the 19th for Ft Laiderdale to do some sightseeing and pre cruise relaxing..

I have cruised with family and friends before, but really enjoy the solo cruises. I do what I want when I want and don't have to account my whereabouts to anyone (overprotective brothers, lol). Being very independent as well.

In mho as a widow, cruising is the only way to travel, no worries about driving to different locations and such.

• 3 weeks later...

Yellowbird (et al)...

I just returned from my 12-day Eastern Med cruise on Oceania, and had a wonderful time! Never felt lonely at all (and never have on any of my solo travels). In fact, I made about 40 new friends, many who were from the CC roll call!

Corfu is calling me to come back there for a longer stay...

Cynthia

Yellowbird (et al)...

I just returned from my 12-day Eastern Med cruise on Oceania, and had a wonderful time! Never felt lonely at all (and never have on any of my solo travels). In fact, I made about 40 new friends, many who were from the CC roll call!

Corfu is calling me to come back there for a longer stay...

Cynthia

Gosh Tenngal, that is so wonderful and I am sure your brain soaked it all in. There is always that "special place" that strikes our fancy, isn't there? I, too, loved Turkey, but my favorite was really and of the Greek places I went to. Glad your back. I'm leaving (talked hubby into going this time) on the 18 for the S. Caribbean and can't wait to get going. We have an aft cabin this time and that is a real treat in and of itself.

I do enjoy cruising with others I know, just not in the same room. I have been traveling solo by land for years & took my first solo cruise in May 2009. I have another one planned for November 2009.

It's what you make of it. I was at a large table for dinner & everyone was nice. I enjoyed the spa and went on excursion. On the other hand, traveling solo isn't for everyone.

I haven't done a solo cruise yet, but have been considering it for some time. I got back a couple of weeks ago from a cruise to Bermuda. I went with a friend but spent a lot of my time alone because she was either seasick or we didn't want to do the same things. So I was thinking that if I'm going to spent 90% of my time alone anyway, I may as well cruise solo!

I went to dinner at the buffet on the nights my friend wasn't around. That was the first time I'd ever eaten alone on a cruise and I found that it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I imagined other passengers staring at me or thinking I was weird because I was alone, but I realized as I looked around that no one was looking at me because they were too wrapped up in whatever they were doing. So it was a good learning experience. I do think it might be a little scary being in the cabin alone at night, but then I've traveled to hotels alone for business and didn't have any problems, so what's the difference? I have to try solo cruising at least once.

I haven't done a solo cruise yet, but have been considering it for some time. I got back a couple of weeks ago from a cruise to Bermuda. I went with a friend but spent a lot of my time alone because she was either seasick or we didn't want to do the same things. So I was thinking that if I'm going to spent 90% of my time alone anyway, I may as well cruise solo!

I went to dinner at the buffet on the nights my friend wasn't around. That was the first time I'd ever eaten alone on a cruise and I found that it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I imagined other passengers staring at me or thinking I was weird because I was alone, but I realized as I looked around that no one was looking at me because they were too wrapped up in whatever they were doing. So it was a good learning experience. I do think it might be a little scary being in the cabin alone at night, but then I've traveled to hotels alone for business and didn't have any problems, so what's the difference? I have to try solo cruising at least once.

Sube, My first Solo Cruise was born from the experience I had with a friend in 2006, she was a horrible companion and I did so many things on my one, we only met up at the dining table, and in the cabin. I found myself enjoying the freedom of doing things on my own, so I decided to continue to travel on my own. I have to say I do feel sometimes this pang in my stomach. I'm feeling it now, just thinking about being solo In Oct when I take my second solo trip. It's the anticipation, I will learn from my previous trip what I felt and will do much better this time.

It's all in the doing.

Sube, My first Solo Cruise was born from the experience I had with a friend in 2006, she was a horrible companion and I did so many things on my one, we only met up at the dining table, and in the cabin. I found myself enjoying the freedom of doing things on my own, so I decided to continue to travel on my own. I have to say I do feel sometimes this pang in my stomach. I'm feeling it now, just thinking about being solo In Oct when I take my second solo trip. It's the anticipation, I will learn from my previous trip what I felt and will do much better this time.

It's all in the doing.

The only thing I'd be concerned about as a woman traveling alone on a cruise are the male stateroom attendants bothering me and/or other passengers who figure out I'm alone and then try to harass me, etc. I'm not sure I'd feel very safe. I've read other comments on here about solo cruisers who tell people they are traveling alone. I think if someone asked me, I'd just say I was with my husband, boyfriend, etc. but he is busy in another part of the ship. I'd never make it known that I'm alone.

My little story is indirectly related to the crusing solo topic in that it shows how people react to others. I tell this story because it shows how easy it is to make friends on a cruise ship and also how couples sometimes percieve "solo" cruisers.

DH and I were on a RCCL cruise 5 or 6 years ago. We were both very independent people and often didn't see much of each other on sea days until late afternoon. I wanted to go to the pool, the spa and he wanted to play basketball, jog and go to the talks by the ship's captain and chief engineer. I was in the Windjammer one day, eating lunch by myself (no big deal) when a lady about my age came up and asked if she and her husband could sit with me. We talked about cruising and what we tours we had planned, etc. We never really discussed what my "status" was. I saw them around the ship a few more times and we always chatted. The three of us ended up on a tour together in one of the ports (my DH was on a scuba tour which I don't do). I guess they got the impression I was by myself. I was sitting in the Champagne bar with DH one evening when I see the couple walking toward me. I waved and thought, good I can introduce them to my husband. They suddenly veered away from me and went on down the corrider. I was a little disappointed, but didn't think too much about it. I ran into the wife by the pool the next day. She immediately said that they decided not to bother me last night because it was clear that I had "found someone and they were so happy that I wasn't alone anymore". I laughed and said that it was my husband. She responded we had no idea you were married. She went on to say that they really thought I traveling alone and were so impressed with how confident I seemed and how friendly I was and they really wanted to make sure that I had a good time on the cruise and not be alone.

So, as I embark on my first solo cruise in November, I am going to try very hard to maintain that friendly, outgoing manner and see if I can't make a bunch of friends.

My little story is indirectly related to the crusing solo topic in that it shows how people react to others. I tell this story because it shows how easy it is to make friends on a cruise ship and also how couples sometimes percieve "solo" cruisers.

DH and I were on a RCCL cruise 5 or 6 years ago. We were both very independent people and often didn't see much of each other on sea days until late afternoon. I wanted to go to the pool, the spa and he wanted to play basketball, jog and go to the talks by the ship's captain and chief engineer. I was in the Windjammer one day, eating lunch by myself (no big deal) when a lady about my age came up and asked if she and her husband could sit with me. We talked about cruising and what we tours we had planned, etc. We never really discussed what my "status" was. I saw them around the ship a few more times and we always chatted. The three of us ended up on a tour together in one of the ports (my DH was on a scuba tour which I don't do). I guess they got the impression I was by myself. I was sitting in the Champagne bar with DH one evening when I see the couple walking toward me. I waved and thought, good I can introduce them to my husband. They suddenly veered away from me and went on down the corrider. I was a little disappointed, but didn't think too much about it. I ran into the wife by the pool the next day. She immediately said that they decided not to bother me last night because it was clear that I had "found someone and they were so happy that I wasn't alone anymore". I laughed and said that it was my husband. She responded we had no idea you were married. She went on to say that they really thought I traveling alone and were so impressed with how confident I seemed and how friendly I was and they really wanted to make sure that I had a good time on the cruise and not be alone.

So, as I embark on my first solo cruise in November, I am going to try very hard to maintain that friendly, outgoing manner and see if I can't make a bunch of friends.

I love that story

Sube mentioned the safety, just like watching where and what in your own neighborhoods, on a ship there are so many people around at all times just be careful at all times and do not be afraid. I for one will always be in my cabin at a decent time. People are so friendly and protective , and I've found once you meet folks you get to see them all through the cruise at some point,.

I'm divorced, I have to get out and find myself, and I found I love the cruise thing Solo.

Good for you, that sounds like something i would do, DH and i like different things at times so if he's not in the mood i do my own thing...would like to do a solo cruise one day. Have a wounderful time on your 1st solo cruise.

• 1 month later...

I came on the solo board and learned alot about things I was apprehensive about before my first solo cruise. I had such a great time I've got my 3rd solo booked and I'll be platinum!

I remember when my daughter went off to college and I knew it wouldn't be long before my son left, I wondered how I'd do as an empty nester. The first week was lonely. After that, no problem, I love being alone!

The song playing on the radio right now is perfect...one less man to pick up after...:D

With your attitude, you're going to have a wonderful solo cruise.

What a lovely kind couple.

Many people forget you can be solo, even when you're married, as a lot of married couples have totally different hobbies/interests. Cruising is perfect for both members of a couple to enjoy doing their own thing, just like a solo.

What I like most about cruising solo is the trip is pretty much whatever you want it to be. In mid September of this year, after visiting my 85 year old dad in NY, I hopped a Carnival ship out of NY to NE/Canada.

My time with my dad was stressful and I was happy to have the time on the ship to myself. Mostly I read novels, relaxed or toured around in the ports, listened to some music in the evenings, and I was really glad I didn't have to 'be on' with a travel buddy. Usually I am pretty social on my cruises but this time I just wasn't up for it.

I'll be on HAL's Amsterdam during the Christmas/New Years holidays to the PC. I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll be my old self.

Faith

I have cruised 3 times. The first time I was single but had my parents and minor children. Went to a single meet-n-mingle absolutely the only person there. WOW, that really amplified the fact I was single. Second time I was with my late husband and our two children we had a great time both with and without the children. Third cruise was myself, 20 dd and her 26 bestfriend. Again, went to the single mnm about 5 people there all were also with groups of some sort. I am trying this again with my two grown children but my past experience is that cruises are for young singles and other wise pairs or groups of people. Just seems to amplify the aloneness that one already feels. Does anyone else feel this way.

Simple answer: Nope, never!

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted this on the Celebrity board - so let me add my thoughts here too.

I often cruise alone; I have never been married, so I don't know any other way of traveling (other than with relatives and a few times with friends). I do get lonely sometimes, and I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging it. I know that when I pull away from my house I sometimes get teary thinking 'lucky me', but also knowing that I am going off on this great adventure alone. And then seeing what appears to be so many happy couples and groups; well, it does sometimes make me feel lonely. On the other hand: I love seeing new places, meeting new people, luxury travel, and all of the other benefits of travel - so I try to push those feelings aside when they come up. Sometimes I have been lucky and made some nice friends who kind of looked out for me - invited me to join them. I am outgoing, fun, and I have an interesting life and make, what I think anyway, to be a good dinner companion. But I will never forget a few years ago at the end of a cruise one couple didn't show up for dinner and the two others went to a specialty restaurant (together!) and there I was, alone. No big deal - I have been going to restaurants alone here and in Europe since I was a kid - but it was hard. Anyway - I would do it again, and I don't mean to dissuade anyone, but I wanted to acknowledge that if you do sometimes feel sad or lonely in a sea of happy couples it is ok. Just keep going. When the sun comes out the next day look into it, feel the breeze, remember how lucky you are to be there. And every hour is the opportunity for a good experience. And if all else fails - get a glass of wine and a good book. It's better than work, right?

Anyway - I would do it again, and I don't mean to dissuade anyone, but I wanted to acknowledge that if you do sometimes feel sad or lonely in a sea of happy couples it is ok. Just keep going. When the sun comes out the next day look into it, feel the breeze, remember how lucky you are to be there. And every hour is the opportunity for a good experience. And if all else fails - get a glass of wine and a good book. It's better than work, right?

I agree! Heck, it's possible to feel alone when you're with family/friends!

When I travel alone I find that I feel less lonely when I cruise then on other types of vacations. The atmosphere is much more conducive to chatting with people. However, there are times that I feel alone. That's what good books and/or an Ipod are for! If I'm eating alone, I just turn on my ipod and start listening to a podcast: instant conversation! :) This next cruise I'll be taking my laptop so I can keep my podcasts up-to-date.

• 1 month later...

I've been on 2 trips with business associates and one on my own. If anything I felt less alone and more myself on the solo trip. After 51 weeks with the same people the last thing I needed was to rehash the whole year with the addition of everyone being disgustingly drunk. It was a relief to get away from them and BE solo.

On the solo trip I met one group of people at dinner and another during games/activities and I had company whenever I liked and solitude whenever I liked.

The same sun shines on you as everybody else. I think the key is to be confident in who you are and what you're doing - which is giving yourself a well-deserved break. The only one who can stop you from enjoying it, really, is you.

I guess I just would like to have someone to share my fun with, have a drink with , dance with....on my last cruise I went to a dance class that was great until they wanted everybody to couple up...duh guess I will dance with the air. I left it was like being at a Valentine's dinner without a Valentine. I guess I am just not a good single. Notice one single in need of another....lol.

I guess I just would like to have someone to share my fun with, have a drink with , dance with....on my last cruise I went to a dance class that was great until they wanted everybody to couple up...duh guess I will dance with the air. I left it was like being at a Valentine's dinner without a Valentine. I guess I am just not a good single. Notice one single in need of another....lol.

Was the teacher a male? IF he was, a good teacher would have

offered you himself as your partner.

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in your own skin.

I have lived on my own since the 80s and sailing solo is the only

way I go.:D

Carpe Diem!:)

Was the teacher a male? IF he was, a good teacher would have

offered you himself as your partner.

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in your own skin.

I have lived on my own since the 80s and sailing solo is the only

way I go.:D

Carpe Diem!:)

It was taught by the ship ballroom couple from the production show and they were really married. I guess I am not truly comfortable being single. Even though I have been single more of my adult life than married. I have always had children underfoot then and never really felt alone. Now they are grown and even when cruising with them I am "alone" as they do their own thing. Young people in general mine included don't really care about the family thing. Most of them are members of the me society. If it is good for me great if not forget it. My kids think it is punishment to go spend time with my parents and/or me as we are "boring". I always loved and going to my grandparents house and still would if I had any to visit. One day when all the relatives are dead and gone the young people of the world are going to miss them and it will be too late.

I have been traveling solo for almost 20 years and have found, that it's much easier to get into conversations with other people when you're solo, than it is when you are with someone else. It must be my different mind set, because I am normally quite shy, but make a very conscious effort to be more outgoing when traveling solo. I love traveling with friends or family, but traveling solo is so liberating, because, like others said, you don't have to compromise and can do exactly what you want. And what better place to do that than on a cruise ship? :)

I couldn't agree more! Although I've never cruised solo (or cruised at all for that matter), I adore traveling solo for the same reasons as you. I'm also very shy, but that seems to go away somewhat when I'm traveling. I'll be taking my first ever cruise next month with my adult son, but I expect to be doing most stuff by myself, and I look forward to a solo cruise in the future. My happy place is Walt Disney World, where I've been solo many, many times. My son's mother-in-law once said, upon learning that I was going again, "I can't imagine why you'd want to go by yourself." I replied, "Honestly, I can't imagine why I'd want to go with anyone else." :D Love, love, love being able to do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it.

It was taught by the ship ballroom couple from the production show and they were really married. I guess I am not truly comfortable being single. Even though I have been single more of my adult life than married. I have always had children underfoot then and never really felt alone. Now they are grown and even when cruising with them I am "alone" as they do their own thing. Young people in general mine included don't really care about the family thing. Most of them are members of the me society. If it is good for me great if not forget it. My kids think it is punishment to go spend time with my parents and/or me as we are "boring". I always loved and going to my grandparents house and still would if I had any to visit. One day when all the relatives are dead and gone the young people of the world are going to miss them and it will be too late.

I am sorry you feel so alone.....try to expand your horizons:D

Your post sounds very sad:eek:.....too bad really, there are alot of good

things out there.:)

I have no kids and I am almost in my mid 50s.....cruising is for ME:D

Archived