san juan air questions

fldogmassage

Hello fellow Michigander!

My hubby and I have booked a Xmas cruise leaving out of San Juan and we booked our flight through the cruise line BECAUSE of the michigan winters. Do you recall what time you got into San Juan and what time your departure flight was? I'm just curious in rough estimates as I can't wait another month to actually find out :) And I want to look at some possible excursions in San Juan.

Thanks so much!

Take the $300 ticket.

What were you expecting to pay, and more importantly, why? You did research airline fares before you bought your cruise, right??

As for swisgo....you will want to have one ticket from the UK to get your full allowance of 2 bags per person. If you break it with a stopover in the USA, it is quite likely that you will be charged for the mainland to SJU segment.

I'd be looking at AA through MIA to SJU.

Just booked with Spirit air

218.00 pp return (109 each way)

March 11 fly into S.J. U

March 22 Rtn to Detroit.

thought with was an excellent deal

If you were able to choose the $109 fare each way, you must be members of the $9 Fare Club, which has an annual fee of $39.95, unless you have a Spirit Air Mastercard.

Did you choose to preselect your seats? If so, does this price include that charge? Note that each leg will incur this fee, so if you make a stop, you will pay this fee twice for each person if you choose seats in advance. Also, does it include the $19 paid in advance or $25 paid at the airport fee to check each bag each way($25 for the second bag)?

For anyone considering Spirit Air, here's a link to the additional fees they charge, as it's not easy sometimes to find:

http://www.spiritair.com/infodetails.aspx?number=lp

If you were able to choose the $109 fare each way, you must be members of the $9 Fare Club, which has an annual fee of $39.95, unless you have a Spirit Air Mastercard.

Did you choose to preselect your seats? If so, does this price include that charge? Note that each leg will incur this fee, so if you make a stop, you will pay this fee twice for each person if you choose seats in advance. Also, does it include the $19 paid in advance or $25 paid at the airport fee to check each bag each way($25 for the second bag)?

For anyone considering Spirit Air, here's a link to the additional fees they charge, as it's not easy sometimes to find:

http://www.spiritair.com/infodetails.aspx?number=lp

No did not pay for seats. Just show up 2hrs before as I am not picky where I sit. Family of 4 and we always end up together or paired up. As per bags. Yes it is 19.00 no biggy as have packing down to a science and put the must haves in the carry on. We all travel with carry ons and check 2 pieces. I generally pay for the bags the week before we fly on line and I believe you have up to 24hrs prior to the check in to do so.

I am a member of the 9.00 Fare Club. Joined on a whim last yr and it paid for itself the first flight last winter.

Good luck.

If flying from Atlanta, keep your eye out for an Air Tran sale - and many times Delta will match them. I plan to use Air Tran as they have been very good for me - well, so far!

I would definately recommend AirTran for both their rates and service. I stupidly booked my flight from Norfolk to San Juan on Delta 4 months before my cruise. I am not lying when I say Delta changed planes, times, and flights 15 times so far. I have 3 weeks to go and wonder how many more pleasant surprises Delta has up its sleeves.

We are flying into SJU out of either LAS (where my parents live) or SLC and I am not sure which is best. Our dates are (Cruise departure date ) 2/07/2010 (would like to go in a day or two early and we want to come back on 2/17/2010. Any help from the pros would be appreciated (6 travellers) Thanks:confused:

My cruise is on Jan 2. out of Newark - EWR to San Juan.

I have been looking at air fares but they are all way up there - over 400 for the flight and the schedule stink.

I looked at the planes and they are not even half full.

Any chance at a flight in the range of 300 with reasonable depart from San Juan times?

I don't care how early I leave.

My cruise is on Jan 2. out of Newark - EWR to San Juan.

I have been looking at air fares but they are all way up there - over 400 for the flight and the schedule stink.

Any chance at a flight in the range of 300 with reasonable depart from San Juan times?

I don't care how early I leave.

I assume you're looking at the EWR-SJU flight that arrives at 2:23 am? With the departure at 6 am after the cruise?

No, the times aren't great. But it's non-stop, and I'm getting a price of $256.20 on ITA: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/bonsaiproxy/psdf;jsessionid=D7F2FAC51C399C42C24BD3395E2E5FAD?V=M27753616204878617241&AAC=2009-09-24-10&AAA=30&TBS=30&L=B28757534141860115911&J=1&Q=-2 .

Alternately, there's a non-stop from PHL on US for around $300.

I assume you're looking at the EWR-SJU flight that arrives at 2:23 am? With the departure at 6 am after the cruise?

No, the times aren't great. But it's non-stop, and I'm getting a price of $256.20 on ITA: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/bonsaiproxy/psdf;jsessionid=D7F2FAC51C399C42C24BD3395E2E5FAD?V=M27753616204878617241&AAC=2009-09-24-10&AAA=30&TBS=30&L=B28757534141860115911&J=1&Q=-2 .

Alternately, there's a non-stop from PHL on US for around $300.

Yes. They asre killing on the flights.

Maybe i can do switch flight - somehow go the way early and late back.

l still can't figure why they are so expensive when they are only 1/2 full.

Thanks.

We are flying into SJU out of either LAS (where my parents live) or SLC and I am not sure which is best. Our dates are (Cruise departure date ) 2/07/2010 (would like to go in a day or two early and we want to come back on 2/17/2010. Any help from the pros would be appreciated (6 travellers) Thanks:confused:

The 'best' being?

Help with?

:confused:

Not being facetious but it helps to be specific

First off...how do you KNOW they are 1/2 full? If you are trying to get that data by looking at a seat map, you are simply wrong. Seat maps are notoriously inaccurate for gauging load factors, so take that out of your brain.

Second...even with that as a valid assumption, why do you think that 1/2 full means that they will cut the price. There is still over 3 months before the flight...trust me, it will get more bookings. Airline pricing is a science utilizing a technique called "yield management" or "revenue management", which incorporates variable pricing and inventory manipulation to achieve the greatest return for the airline. Filling an airplane does not make it profitable. Filling it with the proper mix of fares does.

Finally, by your own admission, the flights you want are the pricey ones. Guess what....our old friend Supply & Demand!! The known desirable ones have the higher prices. Econ 101.

In addition to what FlyerTalker says about you not being able to know this (unless you're an airline industry insider or have access to inside information), and certainly not know it from seat maps, don't forget that seats don't just get booked on flights. They also get cancelled.

One statistic sticks in my mind: On a trans-Atlantic flight in the summer, for every seat that's on the aircraft the airline will on average take something like seven reservations. And the aircraft will still go out only about 90% full.

So even if you knew that the aircraft was booked to 50% now, it still means absolutely nothing.

First off...how do you KNOW they are 1/2 full? If you are trying to get that data by looking at a seat map, you are simply wrong. Seat maps are notoriously inaccurate for gauging load factors, so take that out of your brain.

Second...even with that as a valid assumption, why do you think that 1/2 full means that they will cut the price. There is still over 3 months before the flight...trust me, it will get more bookings. Airline pricing is a science utilizing a technique called "yield management" or "revenue management", which incorporates variable pricing and inventory manipulation to achieve the greatest return for the airline. Filling an airplane does not make it profitable. Filling it with the proper mix of fares does.

Finally, by your own admission, the flights you want are the pricey ones. Guess what....our old friend Supply & Demand!! The known desirable ones have the higher prices. Econ 101.

The seating plans are directly off the continental site. When using them in the past the charts were accurate. Using the other sites like travelocity the seating chart showed more taking the flight.

I know they will get more bookings i am just trying to find a way around spending what I think is too much money for a seat to and back where their capacity does not dictate such a high price.

Hopefully a less demand pushes the price down a bit.

And I thought - and I was right - I could get some more information on flights from others who go more often.

The seating plans are directly off the continental site. ...

I know they will get more bookings i am just trying to find a way around spending what I think is too much money for a seat to and back where their capacity does not dictate such a high price.

We're not doubting that the seating plans accurately show what the airline wishes to tell you about which seats you could pre-allocate if you were to make a booking now.

But the point is that seating plans of this type, however accurate they are, do not give a reliable indication of the extent to which the flight has been booked, or how full it is. A seating plan that is completely empty may conceal the fact that the flight is quite heavily booked at present, and a seating plan that is virtually full may conceal the fact that there aren't many bookings for the flight. It all depends on things that we, the general public, cannot know.

Also, how full a flight is at the present time is not the only thing that the airline will take into account when setting the price. Again, you have no way of knowing whether the remaining space does or does not justify the price that the airline is charging. It's much more complex than any outsider to the airline in question could ever hope to know or understand.

The 'best' being?

Help with?

:confused:

Not being facetious but it helps to be specific

you are right sorry. I am wondering if it would be cheaper for 4 of us to drive to vegas from Salt Lake and then fly to SJU or to just fly from SLC to SJU and meet my parents from LAS at a stopover .... I don't know how to find the best dates and flights. Also when would you think the best time to find cheaper fares for our flights in Feb of 2010? Thanks

you are right sorry. I am wondering if it would be cheaper for 4 of us to drive to vegas from Salt Lake and then fly to SJU or to just fly from SLC to SJU and meet my parents from LAS at a stopover .... I don't know how to find the best dates and flights. Also when would you think the best time to find cheaper fares for our flights in Feb of 2010? Thanks

Check out: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

By putting in a departure date of 02/06/10 and a return of 02/17/10, I got a price of $365 from LAS and $455 from SLC.

I booked the overnight flight on Friday late and early out Sunday flight.

Best price.

I can take my time to the ship from airport and reverse it on the way home.

Can you precheck back off the ship to the flights home?

I usually just carry them to taxi and check at airport but with long time before flight and I could do something about the town - rum factory tour maybe for Saturday.

I booked the overnight flight on Friday late and early out Sunday flight.

Best price.

I can take my time to the ship from airport and reverse it on the way home.

Can you precheck back off the ship to the flights home?

I usually just carry them to taxi and check at airport but with long time before flight and I could do something about the town - rum factory tour maybe for Saturday.

What does this mean?

Archived