san juan air questions

fldogmassage

Hi, We are looking at booking a cruise from San Juan. here are my questions...

Is it better to book air thru the airline or on your own?

Is there a specific airport to fly into?

How long is the drive from the airport to the port?

Anything else I might need to know.

This is not our first cruise, but we live in Miami and there for have always woken up and driven to the port. Any help will be much appreciated.Thanks

We have sailed out of San Juan a couple of times. The only airport that you want to fly into will be San Juan (SJU). We live in Michigan, so our flights are fairly pricey. If you live in Fla, you should be able to get some decent deals from Miami.

We always book our own flights, as it is usually much less. The only real advantage to get air from the cruiseline is if the weather was bad (common here in Mich winters) you have a lot more options if you are late. They might actually hold the ship for you or make it easy to catch up with the ship. I have only booked it through the cruiseline 2 time (Carnival) on my first 2 cruises. They usually get you lousy flight times.

I would start looking for flights online or keep an eye out in your newspaper. The airlines have deals now & then. I really enjoy hunting for airfare & hotel deals. We are sailing 9/19, and I've had the air for 4 months and our hotel for 3. I like to get things done, so there will be no dissappointment if you wait 'til the last minute.

I would recommend that you look into getting to the port via the cruiseline shuttle. I have found that it is usually less than a cab, but with a cab, you can get there when you want. If you have anymore ??, just ask!

Joe<---just countin' down the days :D

Actually the ship may NOT wait, and the airline is only contracted to get you from point A to point B..>NOT to the ship! And you may have a few days to wait until you can get a flight if something happens to the original as cruise air tickets are booked in a category at the bottom of the food chain for reaccomodation....

THUS...I STRONGLY suggest you read the STICKY at the top of this board, all about cruise air and crusie air deviation................

I book my own air, through the airline's website, and not through any of the big on line agencies...(that's just me....)

And you'll fly into SJU (airport code for San Juan)

From the airport to the pier is about 20 minutes more or less depending on traffic....

I would try to fly in a day early if you can....you can probably get a good deal on Priceline or hotwire for a hotel.....

We also cruise from SJU often.

Book your own air. You should pick SJU for San Juan, as opposed to the other airports on the island. The airport is about a 20 minute ride to the ports. There are two, amd they are very close to Old San Juan. If you have time to explore the citadel and historic city you will get a true flavor of Puerto Rico.

We prefer to fly down the day before as well.

We have also found that cabs are the better choice. The few times that we took the cruise transportation we had to wait until the bus was full. Needless to say everyone was eager to get to the ship and sitting on a hot bus after a long flight was not a memorable way to start the cruise.

The cabs are metered and in November we paid $19 plus a surcharge for our luggage. It has been so long since we have taken the bus I do not know what they charge. I imagine that it depends on the cruise lines too.

When you book your return air, please do not book a flight before noon. There are many threads on CC about the San Juan airport. We have been flying in and out of the airport for over 20 years and it has never been easy.

I hope your planning goes well and you have a wonderful cruise.

Definitely book your own flights- you have a better control on your preferred flight times and the cost.

Also,like previously mentionned, fly a day ahead and enjoy San Juan + it starts your vacation a little earlier. It also permits you to board the ship earlier the next day :D

Have fun planning and have a great cruise

+1 book your own flights - when we did cost were the same, time was "much" different. booked by us, it was 7 hours, booked by the cruise it was more like 10+ hrs

and someone else mentioned this but go in the day before, best travel insurance you can buy (ie. going in a day before in case of screw-ups). and screw-ups could be missing bags, late or delayed planes, etc...

Absolutely book your own flights, FLY IN AT LEAST ONE DAY EARLY before your cruise...

And on the return do not book a flight before mid-afternoon at the earliest. BEST is to stay overnight and fly back the next day, but if you must get back the same day your cruise ends keep in mind that both the Port of San Juan and SJU are absolute zoos!

Is anyone getting any descent rates for flights to SJU. We have been pricing for next May and rates seem to be a little on the high side. We are from Georgia so we would most likley be leaving frpm ATL or SAV however other options could be JAx or Columbia SC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone getting any descent rates for flights to SJU. We have been pricing for next May and rates seem to be a little on the high side. We are from Georgia so we would most likley be leaving frpm ATL or SAV however other options could be JAx or Columbia SC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since you've not said what dates you are looking at, what fares you are seeing and what you call 'descent' (sic) it might be quite difficult for people to provide much info.

I am sorry but I did mention time frame "next May" which would mean May of 2010. I am refering to "fare" or price to be paid for tickets by rate.

I can certianly understand some peoples frustration with this board , ask a legitimate question and you get SA anwsers.

We booked this past May for April of 2010. We are flying in 2 days early on Continental with a connection in Houston on the way to SJ and then a direct flight home from SJ. We paid $302pp. RCI's air fare allowance was $1138 for the two of us. I think we done good.:p

Thanks cruisenfever , we had seen some flights direct from atl to sju as low as $170 like in

feb..

For the time period we are considering we are seeing $270 on Delta. So I guess this may not be too bad after all?

How about you Cigar Dude , you are close to us as the crow flies.

When we ask for dates, it is because there can be a significant difference between two adjoining dates on the calendar. To say "May" means that you have hundreds of possible date combinations. Also, what price someone else is getting for a destination from different cities and/or different dates has little to do with your SPECIFIC needs.

Air pricing methodology is far different that what you find for other goods and services. Please keep that in mind.

Finally....vague questions get vague answers.

I can certianly understand some peoples frustration with this board , ask a legitimate question and you get SA anwsers.

You're just not giving us enough information to help us.

As Flyertalker has said May 2010 gives thousands of date combinations and without any idea of the fares you're currently looking at/considering good/considering bad our time is largely wasted.

the people on this board who provide the most accurate (and free) assistance have tools available that the general public either doesn't have accees to, would have to pay for and that can do things most of the average traveler wouldn't think about...........

thus, to get the most assistance...out of the goodness of people like flyer talker, greatam, globaliser et al's hearts, it is best to be specific.

decent fares for you may be ridiculous for me, and so on.........

so...if you said leaving from XYZ on may 10 or 11 going to ABC, and coming back may 19 or 20 of 2010, and a max budget of say $300 would be more beneficial than a decent price in may...........(sometimes changing your dates by one day on either side can save you hundreds...enough to cover a hotel perhaps)

the more info, the better. if a poster isn't sure, then try to ask questions.....and the pros will try and help........it really isn't being a SA...it is trying to help.

For example, in another recent thread, a poster had an itinerary idea and dates. By playing with what was given to me, I found that the same routing could be done a day earlier for a savings of more than enough money to cover a hotel night. Plus the peace of mind of coming in a day early. Good info in....

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Carnival Victory sailing out of San Juan on

Apr 11, 2010 returning Apr 18, 2010. We will be in Tampa prior to flying to SJU and have a price of $284 PP on a non-stop from Tampa to SJU on April 11 (Sun) and returning Apr 18 (Sun). There is plenty of lead time both ways (flight to ship and ship to flight).

Anyone have a comment regarding the fare? Do we chance waiting? Anyone with information on fares from other FL airports?

You guys are great with helping people out!

Now I just want to add that I have cruised out of the port in San Juan once and in my limited experience with this port I will say to get there at least one day before the cruise. Also if your return flight leaves on the same day the ship gets into port then you should get to the airport as early as you can for your flight even if your flight is later. I say this because the lines are non-existent at the early part of the day but by early afternoon it is A ZOO! The lines are crazy for EVERYTHING! My DH stood in line for 1 1/2 hours for food. Yes there are probably things we could have done differently but this was our first time out of that port and I had not really given much attention to information about the airport. Just thought I would pass that along.

I would also recommend flying in the day before your cruise. Old San Juan is a great place to visit and you will be able to decompress from your flight and start your vacation early. I have cruise out of San Juan twice and will be back again next summer. In addition to flying in at least the day before my cruises, I fly home the day after the cruise ends. Depending upon how many ships are embarking and disembarking, the airport can be pretty hectic. You will also need to put your luggage through the agricultural screening which might take long depending upon how many people are trying to fly out. Leaving the next morning has always made the return trip less stressful IMHO.

When we ask for dates, it is because there can be a significant difference between two adjoining dates on the calendar.

Air pricing methodology is far different that what you find for other goods and services. Please keep that in mind.

Finally....vague questions get vague answers.

Hi Flyertalk,

I am from the Uk and am thinking of taking a cruise from Puerto Rico for 10days rather than Miami for 14 days.

the sail date is 12th Feb returning on Feb 22nd.

We can fly from Mia FLL or MCO. We would fly in to SJU the day before,can you resommend an airline/airport also we would have 3 hold bags @ 23KGs.Thanks for your help, you are a real asset to these boards.

I could use some help also in getting to SJU. Multiple airport options for departure...CVG, CMH, DAY, CRW, HTS, LEX, SDF, or IND. The cruise is Jan. 17, 2010. We would like to fly into SJU on Jan. 16. Return can be Jan. 24(afternoon) or 25. Best I have found from any of these is around $300 p.p. Not in a big rush as I won't get nervous till closer to final payment (Nov. 3rd)...but I'd like to get it done sooner rather than later! Thanks!

Archived