Can we talk cockroaches honestly?

skt4cruise

We booked an aft balcony on a Celebrity ship and had cockroaches coming down from deck above, which was an outside eatery. Every night the staff would spray up and the bugs came down. Ok fair enough if we kept our balcony door closed, like you are suppose to, they would not enter (maybe), but we wanted the sound of the sea for a couple of hours one night, from then on we had roaches all over.

Complained of course to housekeeping and everyone acted aghast that the little critters were on board.

Now we are ready to book another aft balcony, we've had balconys since without bugs, but they were not aft. Theory being they enter only in aft cabins from the food above. Looking at Gem this time, cabin 11654, DH refusing now to book because of waking up to roach on the phone (and no he did not use long distance) right next to DH nose.

So my question is, how many people have seen cockroaches on their ship?

Maybe I can convince DH the odds are with me?

Thanks......

I was in Suite 9075 aft on the Sun in Feb 2009 and did not see one single cockroach. Of course we were not directly under the Outdoor Cafe, there was one passenger floor between us.

I have nevr hear of that. That cockroach ont he phone thing would have freaked me out too!!!:eek:

We had an aft AF a year ago on the Gem and did not see one roach and this is the first I have seen anyone seing roaches on a ship. I am sure they are there but have not heard of them being a problem on NCL at all.

I've never seen a cockroach on any of my cruises ever. I always book a balcony but only once did an aft balcony & nope, never saw the little critters. In fact this is the very first time I've heard it even mentioned, lol. But if I did see one I would most likely freak out. :eek:.

I have been in 11630 on the Pearl Directly under food area(identical to the Jewel) no bugs! Also I can honestly say in all of our cruises, I have never seen a bug problem aside from fruit flies/gnats on Costa Concordia around the juice dispensers. If I ever do have a bug problem. I will be moving to another area of the ship that does not have a bug problem... roach infestation on ships are completely unacceptable.

did you post this on the celebrity site? i'm sure that would ruffle some feathers. by the way, i've never seen any on ncl.

Yes, I did post this on Celebrity, back when it happened, I was called everything from a liar to a nutcase, it was horrid! I even changed my screen name and am hiding out:D

I think its a subject most people won't talk about especially on their "fav" ships. We even had a butler on that cruise, he chased the bugs.

I WOULD HAVE FREAKED if we had been in your situtation. I can honestly tell you that we have been on six criuses, four in Aft suites and never once had any issue with any bugs at all. BELIEVE me when I say if we had, I would have still been telling folks about it. LOL

OMG... can't imagine worrying about packing these critters home in suitcases... the horror :(

Plus, we have an aft booked on Dawn in 6 weeks... UGH... never thought I'd be thinking about cockroaches before the cruise.

From the answers on this board, your chance of seeing a bug is rare.

Remember that was the Century I was on, not NCL. You can see the other lines we have sailed with no bugs in sight. Sorry if I have upset you. I plan to look the other way and enjoy my cruise, even if.....

I've not ever seen roaches on a ship...but we've never had a cabin near a food service, either. I'm not really surprised that they do occur; the bugs show up wherever there is food, regardless of how clean the environment is, or how carefully it is monitored.

Yes, I did post this on Celebrity, back when it happened, I was called everything from a liar to a nutcase, it was horrid! I even changed my screen name and am hiding out:D

I think its a subject most people won't talk about especially on their "fav" ships. We even had a butler on that cruise, he chased the bugs.

Ewww. this thread is making me shiver!

Could have just been that paticular ship. I have never seen one on any of our cruises and did have an aft under the Great Outdoors on the Gem. We caught a "palmetto bug" (fancy word for cockroach) at our hotel in California and showed it to the manager. Got the room free for our last night.:)

We've never seen a roach either, and we like aft cabins and book them quite frequently.

We were on a Celebrity ship in an aft cabin and while we did not see any roaches, it would not have surprised me at all if we did. The cabin was just not clean. When we got there, dh found hair on the bathroom floor and he dropped something in the sofa cushions and when he went to get it found lots of food and crumbs from people having their room service there. I guess the stewards don't lift the cushions.:eek:

I got beat up pretty badly when I posted my review too. It was several years ago, but the memory still lingers.:p:cool:

Anyway, we haven't ever seen a roach on a cruise ship (fingers crossed).

:)

Ewww. this thread is making me shiver!

Could have just been that paticular ship. I have never seen one on any of our cruises and did have an aft under the Great Outdoors on the Gem. We caught a "palmetto bug" (fancy word for cockroach) at our hotel in California and showed it to the manager. Got the room free for our last night.:)

Just check your balcony in the morning, easiest way to tell, other cruisers on that cruise (aft also) moved because of the critters but we stuck it out because the view from aft, well theres nothing like it. We did feel a little ripped off for such an expensive cruise to have to share our room. We got no extra goodies or even "I'm so sorry" but they did spray.

skyt4, was it on one of celebrity's older ships? not that it should matter. I've been on a few aft suites on ncl and never saw any bugs, but if i did i would have DEMANDED a different suite

It was on the Century, in 2005, I guess it did seem kind of run down, messy cushions etc.

It was on the Century, in 2005, I guess it did seem kind of run down, messy cushions etc.

We were just on Celebrity Century's transatlantic cruise back to Europe this past April/May. Obviously she has been refurbished recently as she did not appear run down whatsoever (and we did not spot a single bug)! :)

No screen door. I've been on a bunch of cruises and have only seen one bug in our room. Happened sailing by Cuba around 2 AM. Heard this loud buzzing and turned on the light. Saw this hideous looking green bug about a half a foot long with the most evil looking red eyes you ever saw. I'd rather see a bat. Anyway finally trapped him with a towel and threw him out the door and closed it. I asked around for months about what it was before I met my nephews wife who is from Cuba. She laughed and said it was a butterfly. But other than that we've never seen a bug in our room. So I would recommend if you're going to leave your balcony door open at night make sure you're not sailing close to any islands. LOL.

No screen door. I've been on a bunch of cruises and have only seen one bug in our room. Happened sailing by Cuba around 2 AM. Heard this loud buzzing and turned on the light. Saw this hideous looking green bug about a half a foot long with the most evil looking red eyes you ever saw. I'd rather see a bat. Anyway finally trapped him with a towel and threw him out the door and closed it. I asked around for months about what it was before I met my nephews wife who is from Cuba. She laughed and said it was a butterfly. But other than that we've never seen a bug in our room. So I would recommend if you're going to leave your balcony door open at night make sure you're not sailing close to any islands. LOL.

This reminds me of when we were docked in Calica, Mexico a few years ago, they were dozens of similar type things flying all around the pool and open areas. At first we thought they were small birds. They didn't bite, I don't think, but it was a bit unsettling. I wondered if any would hitchhike as we left, but luckliy never saw them anywhere except while docked.

:)

yes and on X they wear tuxedo's on formal night. Roaches have been around for years and they will outlast us. When you spray they just go somewhere else. Its not necessarily a sign that they are not keeping the place clean. Its a sign that they are there. You can get rid of them but it takes time. Its like bed bugs- now that they can't use ddt they are on the rebound....

Archived