Latest Rumor on Wearing Life Jackets at Muster Drill

We are on the Monarch of the Seas as I type...

I just asked one of the Guest Services Officers about the RCI "Life Jacket Test" and he told me that within 15 days, Wearing Life Jackets on the Muster Drill Will Not Be Required on any RCI Ships!

Then he went into the back room to check and came back and told me that on the second leg of our B2B2B cruise (10 Aug) we will not be required to wear the Life Jackets on the Muster Drill!

This will be Tomorrow, Monday, 10 Aug so I will let you all know what happens.

Like all rumors, I will belive it when I see it! (Or in this case, Don't Wear It!)

I was on the SOS and it was raining so the muster drill was held in our cabins. I go out on the Gambling boats here and there is no muster drill, only verbal instructions over the intercom. They go out about 20 NMs. If any boat is going to get into to trouble the G-boats will before a cruise ship. They are always in trouble with the USCG. All the life boats are inflatables.

We were told to carry the life jackets to muster station, not to put them on before that.

Glad to hear muster drill is becoming more realistic in an emergency situation. How many of us could/would run down to our cabin then head to muster station, rather than just head to muster station

I have to laugh about the "not seeing my feet comment"

Back in college, I worked in a fine dining restaurant that had a balcony overlooking the main dining room. In the back of the house we had a service stairwell that went up to it with no landings, i.e. a straight shot up. We used large oval service trays (like the ones you see the servers on cruises use). One of the first things you learned when carrying those things is you never look down, otherwise the tray will dip forward which could lead to disaster i.e. food and place all over the steps, with the kitchen staff mad at you as they have to recook all of the food you just spilled).

Now go forward 20 years and I am in my new house where we have a set of stairs that is a straight shot between the first and second floors. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I would "catch" myself at the stair about 3 or 4 before the bottom when going down the stairs. I finally figured out that my house's stairwayl was longer than the restaurants and after going up and down the restaurant's stairwell literally thousands of times my mind/muscles are expecting a certain straight line stairway length. It is still going take another ten years to retrain my mind to the different length of stairways.

According to a friend whose son is on the Mariner right now, no life jackets were required.

We just got OFF the Mariner and life jackets were required. They actually made us wear them from our cabin or hall by stairs on 9th deck to the muster station. It would not have been so bad if we could have carried them and put them on once at our station.

We just got OFF the Mariner and life jackets were required. They actually made us wear them from our cabin or hall by stairs on 9th deck to the muster station. It would not have been so bad if we could have carried them and put them on once at our station.

This was all GREAT news -- till the last posting 'just off the Mariner and we had to wear....' How can we confirm that returning to cabin for life jacket technique is over?

We're on the Mariner in October.

Off the Mariner was last week and on the Mariner is this week. Maybe that's the difference.

I'm on in Sept and if I can remember, I'll post my experience.

Off the Mariner was last week and on the Mariner is this week. Maybe that's the difference.

I'm on in Sept and if I can remember, I'll post my experience.

I sure hope that is the case, I have 5 days until I find out myself :D:D. Will try to remember to post when I get back if it hasn't already been.

but, our muster station was in the MDR!! I have no idea why we were sent to the MDR but it was wonderful. They just moved us to a section of tables and had us sit with our jackets on until the announcements were over. The smaller children didn't need to wear their jackets at all. It was very nice. We were on the LOS in June of 2007 and the muster occured during a pouring rain storm. We simply had to see our stateroom attendant outside our room and then we were done. I am looking forward to our cruise in Oct on the GOS to see what we will have to do. Hopefully, no wearing of the toilet seats...er life jackets would be great!!

On the Jewel last week, had to wear lifejackets and we were all mustered in the Coral theatre - so we never did get round to locating our muster station in case we ever needed to go there. It was funnny sight, all those people kitted out in lifejackets waiting for the show to start!

Archived