Would we make this flight?

Janet S.

Looking at the Century in November sailing out of Barcelona. The only non-stop flight out of Barcelona would leave at 10:30 am. If we are scheduled to dock at 6:00 am would we make this flight? We have to be at the airport by 8:30 am so would it be easier to arrange for a private transport from the ship to the airport? Thanks for any help.

You might or might not make the flight. Why don't you consider spending one night in Barcelona post-cruise? It's an amazing city to see. Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting to the airport on time on debarkation day. Have a great trip.

I docked at 5 a.m. in barcelona(4/09) & had a 10:50 flight I used a taxi service pick up & had time to spare. We were off the ship(first ones off) by 7:10. Remember the ship has to clear immigration. You must call your airline & find out what is the check in time allowance. Aer Lingus was 1 1/2-2hours prior to boarding.

Looking at the Century in November sailing out of Barcelona. The only non-stop flight out of Barcelona would leave at 10:30 am. If we are scheduled to dock at 6:00 am would we make this flight? We have to be at the airport by 8:30 am so would it be easier to arrange for a private transport from the ship to the airport? Thanks for any help.

I think you could make it. You might want to consider not checking your luggage in the night before and carrying your luggage off the ship yourself in the morning. My guess is by 7:30 at the latest you could be off the ship, arrange for private transport, and be at the airport by 8am or so.

Spending the night in Barcelona is another option.

Baring any unforeseen problems of significant nature, you'll have no problem. I worried about a 9:00 am flight a couple of years ago. Did self disembark, got a taxi immediately and was at the Barcelona airport before the airline desk even opened. It is not far and at the hour the traffic is not heavy.

Don't stress and it will be okay.

Sue Ann

Baring any unforeseen problems of significant nature, you'll have no problem.

From news today:

From TodayOnline: ‘Spanish ports blockaded as fishermen protest price of fuel’ | “Maritime traffic ground to a virtual halt across much of Spain as Spanish fishermen protested at the high price of fuel by blockading ports, rebuffing a government offer to slash the cost of diesel.

Representatives of the fishermen from a dozen of Spain's autonomous regions were holding talks with Agriculture Minister Elena Espinosa to discuss ways of breaking the deadlock.

Basque fishermen earlier joined the action by their counterparts on the Mediterranean coast by blocking access to the Basque region's main ports at Bilbao and Pasajes, while the Atlantic port of Cadiz in southern Spain was also paralysed.

Spanish radio reported that dozens of boats were stuck outside the eastern port city of Valencia, where two ferries carrying some 700 passengers were also prevented from leaving port.

A similar situation afflicted ferry passengers in Barcelona further up the east coast where hundreds of people had to be taken to hotels around the city after their vessels were unable to sail.”

Stuff happens, and this is not the first time that the port has been blockaded.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1435

Just be forewarned...

A number of posts say you can make it IF there isn't any issues, but Xellent gave you an excellent (I know, I can't keep from it) example of an 'issue'. We have been fogged out of one port in the past. 3.5hrs is pretty tight.

Recommendation? As others have suggested: since you go on cruise in part to relax, then why add stress? I know it's added expensve, but why face the hassle and the stress you know you will start feeling the day or so before you pull in, hoping there is no 'issues'. Barcelona is a fantastic port, enjoy it.

Just a suggestion. We try not to add stress unless.....and of course that is the key, can you consider the alternative?

Denny

I want to scream this warning.... watch out for pick pockets in Barcelona. Many passengers and crew lose their money, paper work and passports in this city. While we were getting on a shuttle bus, one passenger had to yell at a guy to get his hands out of his pocket. The guy just sat down on the bench waiting for the next bus load of potential victims...

But enjoy your cruise and Barcelona.

Echo that-- at the BCN airport going home, a person on the DELTA line had all papers, tix, passports wallets etc taken while waiting to check in---that was most unfortunate. We loved our stay there but it is called the City of Thieves for a reason! Must be ever alert...

I suggest you stay over, take the post cruise excursion to Montserrat with the cruise line (or another tour) It was a wonderful added trip---they will drop you off at one of the post excursion hotels (we had to walk a bit to ours) & you can relax. have a nice dinner & head out to the airport nice & early with no stress the ext day! It was money & time well spent.

I will echo everything that Xellent has said. You should make it without any problem, but if you can stay the extra night in Barcelona I would definately recommend it. It is an awesome City, but do watch out for groups of teens. The couple we traveled with encountered one of these groups. A few got in front of them and then two ran from behind and tried to grab her purse. She was a trooper and hung on. It happens everywhere, just be careful and you will enjoy the City

Hi Janet-Are you on the Nov. 14 sailing? If so, we have quite an active roll call and would love to have you join! We're bunching up for some tours as well if you're interested. Give us a shout! We've sailed into Barcelona and it is a beautiful city. The suggestion to do Montserrat was an excellent one-we did that 2 yrs. ago and it was so beautiful.

Shelly:)

Besides the pickpockets a word of warning about the BCN airport. Its beautiful but the restrooms are 3rd world (both for arrivals and departures) :eek:. Definitely head to the head on the airplane before arrival or use ship/hotel facilities before departure. Or learn to squat (you won't want to sit on those seats) :D.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice about Barcelona and the airport. My cruisemate and I had already decided to spend 2 extra nights in Barcelona following the cruise. How can I find out which hotels the cruise suggests? Or do any of you with experience in Barcelona have any suggestions? We are staying at the Melia Barcelona the 3 nights prior to the cruise, but thought we might want to try a different hotel following it.

We will definitely look into the Montserrat tour. Any other must do's?

We will also be cruising on October 17, so we will look for the Ohana's.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice about Barcelona and the airport. My cruisemate and I had already decided to spend 2 extra nights in Barcelona following the cruise. How can I find out which hotels the cruise suggests? Or do any of you with experience in Barcelona have any suggestions? We are staying at the Melia Barcelona the 3 nights prior to the cruise, but thought we might want to try a different hotel following it.

We will definitely look into the Montserrat tour. Any other must do's?

We will also be cruising on October 17, so we will look for the Ohana's.

you could all the cruiseline & ask what hotels they use (maybe the rate will be good for you)

On our post cruise tour they made two or three stops..the last one was at the hotel they use on las Ramblas (right on a main corner but sorry I can;t recall the name). Our hotel was all the way at the other end of las Ramblas (& the tour bus was going to turn so it could not take us down Las ramblas).We had to wheel all our luggage to the hotel--easily doable but not what I wanted to do the day after my cruise & a long excurssion-- So definitely book the Celeb. hotel or very near to where they may do a drop off.. guess it is worked out on board AFTER they know who had booked the tour & their hotel

PS Our pre-cruise hotel (atrium palace) booked directly with the hotel was much better & much less expensive than the one we stayed at on las Ramblas Post cruise (Husa Orioent)

We only ever book ourselves on flights leaving late afternoon (4pm on) if doing the air ourselves, and for long haul always an overnight stay after the ship.

The only way something this "tight" would be a goer for us would be if the cruise line booked it as they would then be responsible for us getting there in time or rebooking us if things went wrong.

As others have said Barcelona is worth at least a day or two anyway - just be careful on the streets, and use the hotel safe for your valuables.

Barcelona is the ONLY port in the world where you could actually make that flight comfortably but you do have to take a few precautions.

1) make sure you have the first colour to be called

2) Carry off your own luggage

3) have a taxi or transfer pick up you per name - pre order one for a particular time (since otherwose there is a Looong queue)

4) if you can do the online check in so you only have to drop off your luggage.

Then there are the unforseen things like the strike but these are often made public the day before so you could plan accordingly.

Archived