New England eats if lobster is not an option.??

Lobster is only one of many New England food specialties. :)

New England clam chowdah ;) is creamy, white and delicious.

Northern Atlantic Cod fish (scrod, haddock) is delicious whether baked, broiled or fried.

Cranberries are grown in only a few states, Massachusetts being one of them.

Blueberries grow wild in Maine and are tiny and taste wonderful...not the large cultivated type.

Maple syrup (the real stuff is amazing!), and maple sugar candies are a New England tradition, as are Boston Baked Beans.....homemade beans are a molasses based, sweet and savory dish that is wonderful with eggs for breakfast or as a side dish. If you see these on a New England menu, don't pass them by.

Apples are also big here in the fall. Applesauce, pies and other goodies should not be passed up. Apple cider is wonderful. The crunch of a fresh, crisp, just picked apple in fall is one life's great pleasures.

Vermont cheeses from local farms are not to be missed. (Although I know you won't be cruising to land locked Vermont, you may see the products offered at restaurants or in food specialty shops.) ;)

These are just some of the specialty foods of New England.

Hope you enjoy your New England cruise and the local foods! :)

If you enjoy shrimp, then you might want to try our Maine shrimp. It is very small and very flavorful ... I actually prefer it over lobster.

Others have mentioned blueberries. Our blueberries are a low bush and are small with a burst of flavor. Its a pain in the neck to pick them as it is back breaking to "rake" the berries. Also one needs to avoid the bear's as they love them. Downeast Maine (Washington County) north/east of the Bar Harbor area has lots of blueberries.

We have tons of chowders --- corn chowder is very popular, also stews, and shephards pie. Old time Maine means Saturday night with beans, and hot dogs ... cut up without buns....biscuits with molasses.

You should find something that is "New England" without it being lobster. Enjoy your visit. Jan

thank you, I will be lucky if I get to try all of your suggestions, We stop in Bar Harbor, Maine & Newport RI, as well as Halifax, I am meeting friends in Halifax, but I think I will have some Cod & Beans for lunch one day ( I love Cod & Haddock) Grew up in England,so miss those Atlantic fish, not available here on the Pacific coast :D

I like to try regional food when I travel, but I don't eat lobster. The only shellfish I will eat is shrimp. Any suggestions? ( & please don't tell me how great lobster is, it's out of the question)

The chowders are great in the area and some of the best Italian cuisine (outside of Italy) I've had has been in the New England area.

Let me chime in here and add that New England, particularly Boston, has a lot of authentic Irish pubs. The atmosphere is great and very British, Irish beer and Guinness flow freely, and the food is good --- Irish specialties such as Shepherd's Pie and Bangers & Mash, also good sandwiches and salads and -- of course, in this part of the country--- clam chowder. It's a nice change from a week's worth of seafood restaurants, good though they may be!

Something else to look out for are the Italian pastries, especially in the North End of Boston. Mike's on Hanover Street is a classic --- there is a reason the lines there are always long.

Another local popular ice cream flavor is coffee (I've had it elsewhere, but it is everywhere here in RI!). Also try coffee milk which a coffee flavored syrup added to milk, yum! Fish and chips are everywhere also. We've just moved here so I'm learning where my faves are, but all restaurants do some version, and I've not really been disappointed yet. Fresh cider, as mentioned earlier, is an absolute must for a taste of New England! Every state in the Northeast produces at least some maple syrup so you should be able to find this easily. Just be sure you're not getting that horrible maple flavored dreck...ugh. And last but definitely not least, New England has an amazing reputation for great pizza - from New Haven (clam!)to Boston.

We are back from our cruise .....and back from visiting Boston.

We kept getting lost going to Mike's ... so had to keep asking people .... everyone knows Mike's!!! To make sure we knew our canoli's (sp?) we also had to stop at Modern!!! Both were so good! :D Jan

We are back from our cruise .....and back from visiting Boston.

We kept getting lost going to Mike's ... so had to keep asking people .... everyone knows Mike's!!! To make sure we knew our canoli's (sp?) we also had to stop at Modern!!! Both were so good! :D Jan

Glad you enjoyed. How was your cruise?

If you like clams, a few "Rhode Island" specialties are:

clam cakes (like clam fritters)

stuffies or stuffed quahogs - these are LARGE clams where the clam is diced up and mixed with bread crumbs, peppers, onions, and chourico (portuguese sausage) if made properly.

Makai7,

Thanks for reminding me of clam fritters. As a child, we vacationed in Misquamicut, RI and the first night we arrived, we had to have clam fritters and many other times as well. Yum!

We love seafood but can;'t wait to get Italian pizza in Boston or RI.

June1

Ok I had a set amount of money to bring on my cruise here next week, but now I need to add more to be ble to eat at every at every place and every- thing ya'll mentioned. :rolleyes::D I love Lobster and I think that is one of the main reasons I chose to cruise here. ;)I can't wait. Thanks

• 6 months later...

Corn in Maine is extra delicious.......so are "Maine hot dogs in Maine hot dog rolls" which

are a special delight for our Florida family when we go up there. We have hot dog buns,

which are not nearly as good. We love the red hot dogs from Shaws.....probably taste

the same as the others, but they're yummy. The real reason everything tastes so

good in Maine is the air.....that's the secret.

Oh, and sometimes you can find a shrimp roll.....like a lobster roll but loaded with fresh

shrimp. When I can get the rolls sent to me in Fl, I make shrimp rolls and they're

delectable.

Archived