Downloading Digital Pictures on Board???

seamare

I have a camera (old) that only holds approximately 330 pictures. We are going on an Alaskan cruise so probably that will not be enough. Is there any capabilities to download onto a disc while on board? We will be on the Volendam.

For many reasons, you should bring more than one camera card. They do, rarely, malfunction. With more than one card, you will not lose all your photos.

The photo shop may be able to help with a transfer (have not been on Volendam).

Ken

For many reasons, you should bring more than one camera card. They do, rarely, malfunction. With more than one card, you will not lose all your photos.

The photo shop may be able to help with a transfer (have not been on Volendam).

Ken

I would if I could - they changed the size of the cards after I purchased my Sony camera - now I would have to buy some adapter along with a new card and the price a few years ago seemed too high for what I was getting. I wished I had bought another memory card when I purchased the camera. I haven't looked lately - maybe something has changed.

I would if I could - they changed the size of the cards after I purchased my Sony camera - now I would have to buy some adapter along with a new card and the price a few years ago seemed too high for what I was getting. I wished I had bought another memory card when I purchased the camera. I haven't looked lately - maybe something has changed.

What type of card does your Sony take?

Your probably using the original memory stick. You might still be able to find those online. If not, you can use the new Sony memory sticks as they usually come with an adapter too fit your camera or old memory card reader. You can buy a 2GB card for $15 online, and that should be plenty of space. I took over 900 pictures and a ton of HD video on a 4 GB card and half of a 8 GB card. If your camera is over 3 yrs old you probably don't have as many mexapixels which means the file sizes are much smaller which means more pictures.

I have a camera (old) that only holds approximately 330 pictures. We are going on an Alaskan cruise so probably that will not be enough. Is there any capabilities to download onto a disc while on board? We will be on the Volendam.

Hubby always brings extra memory cards for all 3 of our cameras (his 2, my 1.) Unfortunately, just before we reached Marjorie Glacier May 09, my 2 year old camera decided it no longer wanted to work. The button to take pictures stuck and no one, not even the photographers on board could fix it:mad:

I priced cameras on board and decided to wait until the next day when we docked in Juneau to check their prices. Price was around $300.00

Found a small camera place inside one of the gift shops almost directly across from the dock that had the exact same camera as the one on the ship for $100.00 less. It was being fazed out and was at clearance price, and no tax.

The young man made sure my memory card was the same for the old camera and placed the old one into the new camera.

Basically what I am warning you about is to make sure you also have an extra camera!!!

Joanie

I agree, 330 photos wouldn't be enough for me in Alaska! You may want to consider searching for an extra memory card/stick on ebay. You can find all sorts of hard to find items there. Did your camera come with a cable to attach to a computer to upload photos? We brought our laptop along and uploaded our photos each evening. If you can't bring along a laptop you may want to use the ship's internet lab (fee) to upload photos to an online photo storage site like Picassa (free). Someone at the internet lab can show you how to do this.

The photo shop can transfer pix to a CD for $15 ... but you can probably buy a 2 GB card for that price now. Or maybe it's time for a new camera? The prices on 10-12 Mp cameras have dropped pretty low recently.

The photo shop can transfer pix to a CD for $15 ... but you can probably buy a 2 GB card for that price now. Or maybe it's time for a new camera? The prices on 10-12 Mp cameras have dropped pretty low recently.

Prices have come down quite a bit. I just bought a Canon 780, probably one of the smallest camera on the market. Pictures were great, but the best part is it shoots HD video and I just watched some of the videos from my cruise and I am very impressed. Now it's time for me to post them online to share with my family.

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will go shopping today for a new camera. We leave on Monday for our cruise (Volendam). My camera is probably on borrowed time.

Probably a wise choice. Be sure and buy several extra memory cards for your new camera. Also, bring your old camera along for a backup.

Once you get your new camera read the instruction manual thoroughly. Then shoot a bunch of pictures before you leave to be sure you understand how to use it.

Have a good cruise.

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will go shopping today for a new camera. We leave on Monday for our cruise (Volendam). My camera is probably on borrowed time.

If you have time, I suggest you buy the camera and accessories online. At the very least, try getting the accessories online. You will save a ton of money. Our big box store was selling an extra battery for $40 (not even a canon battery). I was able to get the same battery online for $8 at Amazon. Memory is also cheap online.

I would just buy a new camera and a bunch of memory cards and a spare battery. That could take care ofd all your problems.

If your camera is that old, it probably is not as good as the new ones.

BTW - only Sony uses memory sticks. For that reason, I would never buy a Sony camera.

DON

Archived