Hard Rock Cafe Venice

ladybug97

Just wondering if anyone had been to or was planning on going the the Hard Rock in Venice? I missed it by a couple of months and am so sad :o

Haven't bothered going to the one that's 15 miles away from my home. For sure won't be going to the one in Venice. Guess we're just old fogies :D

I suspect the OP meant he/she missed it because it hadn't opened yet. According to their web site (http://www.hardrock.com/Locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=533&MIBEnumID=3), the Venice location opened in April 2009.

I can't imagine eating in a Hard Rock, but I've been to them all over the world because my brother collects the t-shirts. I wonder what percent of their income is from food, what from booze, and what from logo items????:D

I suspect the OP meant he/she missed it because it hadn't opened yet. According to their web site (http://www.hardrock.com/Locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=533&MIBEnumID=3), the Venice location opened in April 2009.

I can't imagine eating in a Hard Rock, but I've been to them all over the world because my brother collects the t-shirts. I wonder what percent of their income is from food, what from booze, and what from logo items????:D

I understood what the OP meant. I was just curious about why one would want to eat there when in Venice. In terms of the logo items they do quite a business. You can just go by them, purchase whatever you want and eat somewhere else.

Keith

I walked past it last month, but would never, ever eat there, especially while in Venice. Always seems so silly people travel to Europe and then want to eat in places like that, or McDonalds.

Seems that two of us have already said the same thing already.

Of course, my view is that it's fine to do that as I mentioned the other day on another thread on cruise air.

Keith

I walked past it last month, but would never, ever eat there, especially while in Venice. Always seems so silly people travel to Europe and then want to eat in places like that, or McDonalds.

Ok, it's "silly" to you, but maybe some of the things you do on your travels I would consider silly!

We won't be eating there but will be stopping to buy a shot glass. Our children started our "Hard Rock Cafe" shot glass collection from foreign countries when they travelled and when my son-in-law was stationed overseas. As we have travelled we have picked them up in other countries as well. It is a fun thing to do within our family! It has become a contest of sorts - who can get the most unique one? Now my youngest daughter has started a collection so we have to get two from each one!

Well after being nearly shot down from every angle for wondering about the Hard Rock I'm glad to see that someone else finally visits Hard Rock's for a souviner! Thanks Beaniemom59!!! :D

Not sad that I missed the food...I never eat there but rather I just pick up a pilsner glass at the locations I go to just as an additional token to bring back home! It opened as, Euro Cruiser said in April so I guess I will just hope to be able to go back some day soon to get my glass!!!

Well after being nearly shot down from every angle for wondering about the Hard Rock I'm glad to see that someone else finally visits Hard Rock's for a souviner! Thanks Beaniemom59!!! :D

Not sad that I missed the food...I never eat there but rather I just pick up a pilsner glass at the locations I go to just as an additional token to bring back home! It opened as, Euro Cruiser said in April so I guess I will just hope to be able to go back some day soon to get my glass!!!

I think all you say makes perfect sense.

I was just asking why you would be sad about missing it given the option of eating at a local venue. I know plenty of people who will also eat there because of various circumstances from having kids to enjoying the food.

I hope that you get an opportunity to get a glass there at some point.

Keith

Let me start by saying that I'm not jumping on the OP, whether you want to buy a souvenir glass or t-shirt or meal there. The following is just my opinion and I'm lambasting the corporation, not the consumer.

I think it's culturally insensitive for companies like Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc to put restaurants in highly prominent locations in historic areas. I don't know exactly where the Hard Rock cafe is located in Venice, but according to the website photo it's not exactly inconspicuously tucked away somewhere. Where does it end? With a McDonald's located right across the piazza from the Pantheon?........oh wait, that's already happened. :mad:

And don't be fooled into thinking that Italians eat there; it's for tourists. If you're in doubt, just do a little Googling to find out what Italians think about this kind of place. Drink coffee at Starbucks? No way; they have their morning espresso shot standing at their favorite local bar. Here's a little sampling of opinion about the McDonalds at the Pantheon:

http://italyville.com/2009/08/brand-italy-big-brands/

It's in large part a reaction to this sort of fast food encroachment that the Slow Food movement in Italy was started (which, by the way, has now spread to many other countries....). It was actually founded to protest the opening of a ..... you guessed it.....McDonald's at the Spanish Steps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food

If McDonalds or Starbucks or whoever wants to have a presence in foreign countries, I'm not disagreeing. What I think is shabby is the fact that they locate these places right in the midst of historic areas (where, of course, tourists congregate). Think about it as a proud American -- would you really want to have a Taco Bell located in the Grand Canyon, or a McDonald's at Mount Vernon?

And don't be fooled into thinking that Italians eat there; it's for tourists.

I totally disagree with this statement! We stopped in 2 McDonalds to use the bathroom and get a COLD drink and they were packed and believe me they were locals. Groups were hanging around the counter talking with the help and one corner was taken up by a couple tables of business men on a break having a good time. Also, a mother in bathroom with a couple little ones was not a tourist.

I totally disagree with this statement! We stopped in 2 McDonalds to use the bathroom and get a COLD drink and they were packed and believe me they were locals. Groups were hanging around the counter talking with the help and one corner was taken up by a couple tables of business men on a break having a good time. Also, a mother in bathroom with a couple little ones was not a tourist.

I didn't mean to imply that no Italian ever sets foot in a McDonald's, of course some do. (By the way, McDonald's is well known among a lot of Italians, at least in Rome, for their bathrooms -- not sure that implies any sort of endorsement about their food.)

But Italians actually do not eat out very frequently at all. When they do, they generally do not eat fast food. The majority of folks who do visit places like McDs are tourists, not locals.

Again, my point is not to quibble overmuch about whether or not folks should eat there. My point is that if there IS to be a McDonalds near the Pantheon, I'd rather it be tucked away discreetly on a side street.

I am another one that DOES eat at McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Hard Rock Cafe. I am an American that does like a little bit of home now and then, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've eaten at McDonalds in Athens, London, Sydney, Amsterdam, Budapest, Wurzburg, Zermatt. For me it's a taste of home and the expense is usually less than going into another sit down restaurant in Europe.

I've also been to Hard Rock Cafe in London, Paris, Amsterdam & Hollywood. The best meal we had on our 3 weeks in the Med was at the Hard Rock Cafe on Halloween in Paris. We had Bar BQ ribs, with beans, fries, a cherry coke and a huge chocolate sundae for dessert. It was fun to see the locals and the staff dressed up, and the place was full of locals, not just tourists. And I had prepaid at Viator.com and the meal cost us $35 pp. Now the taxi to get from the airport to the Hard Rock Cafe was another story, that ended up costing us about $110, so I just imagine what a meal in another Paris restaurant would have cost.

I do eat local stuff too (on our month driving through Italy) my husband and I would buy bread, salami, cheese and water and picnic at small tables along the road. And that is okay too. But after a month on the road, those Golden Arches were sure a welcome sight in Zermatt. When we were in Italy in '98, the franchises hadn't hit there yet, but they were other places throughout Europe. Italy has been one of the last places for them to appear.

And another little story, the guide I hired in Budapest, took me to an old beautiful converted train station. You guessed it, it was a McDonald's. They were very proud of it and it was absolutely beautiful with crystal chandeliers, it certainly was decorated differently than our McDonald's here in the States. But again, it was nice to order a burger, fries and coke and know it what it was going to taste like.

I travel to see the different local customs and sights, but as I say, it's nice to see a bit of home too. I'm not an adventurous eater, and don't eat a lot of things other folks might. That's why a cruise is great, there is the comfort zone of coming back to the ship where things are a KNOWN entity. We all have the right to make the choices where we want to travel and where we want to eat.

I must admit that we ate at the Hard Rock in Barcelona. It was our first lunch after landing, and our bodies were in no mood to try anything. Even Hard Rock selection was a stretch, but we knew what to expect and it was an easy choice of dining. (We did eat local after that.) I don't recall seeing one in Venice or I would have snapped that picture, too.:)

I do have photos of the Hard Rock in Copenhagen and the McDonalds in Venice...but we didn't eat there. I also have a photo of the 7-11 in Copenhagen...who woulda thunk it! Sadly, there were no WaWa's anywhere (a local powerhouse in PA/NJ/DE).;)

What I think is shabby is the fact that they locate these places right in the midst of historic areas (where, of course, tourists congregate). Think about it as a proud American -- would you really want to have a Taco Bell located in the Grand Canyon, or a McDonald's at Mount Vernon?

A good post cruisemom42! Sadly, the 'fast food encroachment' also stands out at the Great Sphinx and Pyramids at Giza ... with KFC and Pizza Hut.

Sometimes when traveling overseas its refreshing to have a good ole fashion "american" meal, no?

Also there is no harm in the interest to collect souveniors. I'd be shocked if you haven't seen a tshirt of a hardrock from some famous foreign city.

Those that criticize the appearance of these establishement for ruining the feel of some destination need to reflect. It is an inevitable trend and a direct result of the attraction of many things western that you see McDonalds, Starbucks or Hardrock across the globe. For the same reason you find it so easy to travel to and afford Venice or someother foreign destination is the same reason these brand are there. Perhaps in a few decades you won't be able to afford these places and it'll be some other countries' people( rising to number 1 economic power ) visiting the world and a host of other establishement you find in these places :eek:

I disagree that it's only tourists eating at McD's. We been in them all over the world and sometimes we are the only western faces! (in fact we travelled all over India without any stomach problems til we ate in Delhi McDonalds with the locals and I got an awful bug - from drinking fountain soda which had presumably been made using local water which is tolerated by local people) Families the world over enjoy McDonalds - whether the food snobs like it or not:)

*sigh*

Once again, let me state that I did not intend to get into a debate on the merits of eating at fast food venues. My complaint is with the location of them within close proximity of historic areas.... As someone else mentioned, for example, the fast food franchises at the pyramids in Egypt, the McD's at the Pantheon, I'm sure there are many other examples. These places could easily be located up a side street or in a street not directly fronting on the historic area, with little loss in sales.

I do not believe I *ever* specifically referenced anywhere else in the world other than Italy. My comments were drawn from my own experiences on multiple visits, reading Italian websites (such as slowtrav), and talking with Italian friends. Perhaps in places such as India McD's is still more of a novelty. In Italy, they seem to be regarded more as an annoyance. Of course, YMMV.

Archived