rccl paris shore excursions which?

We did the Paris on you own, they dropped us off at the back of the Eiffel tower and that is where we had to meet back. We had about 4 1/2 hours to run around Paris. I mapped out a route going to Notre Dame , Saint Chapelle, past the Lourve pyramid (was closed on Tuesday), through the garden to Napoleon's tomb, found this cute little street with cafes and shops and back to the buses. Whirl wind afternoon, but really fun.

Hi Carol,

We were 2 doors down from you on Nov Summitt (Guy in the wheelchair with broken ankle). We spent 10days in Paris(April) & what a beautiful city. If this is your first time, I might suggest Taste of Paris or Paris Sightseeing with Cruise. There is too much to see in too little time.

We went to Paris this summer for a land vacation.

I recommend Notre Dame (but maybe not taking the time to go up the steps because there is a line). St. Chapelle is not to be missed, in my opinion. The Eiffel Tower is nice, but you will have a big line there too unless you go before they open. We climbed the stairs to the second level to avoid the line, but it was a lot of steps (668 I think). Then the elevator to the top.

The Louvre is nice, but you could spend a week in there! You could go just to see the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo. But if that is all you have time for, its not worth it.

If you like Impressionist art, the Orangerie Museum was nice. Also the Musee d'Orsay.

Maggie

Take the train from Le Havre, about 1 hour each way, versus a two hour bus ride each way and then tour Paris on your own. Doing this gives you at least 2 more hours in town so you don't have to be as rushed.

Don't plan to go up into the Eiffel Tower. You wait in one line for tickets and then wait in another to get on the elevator. We had someone buy our tickets in advance and meet us there but we still waited over 2 hours to get into the Tower.

Don't miss Notre Dame, a walk up the Champs de Lisse (sp), going up into the Arc de Triumphe (sp) and just soaking up the atmosphere of Paris.

The train station in Le Havre is a short cab ride from the port and trains to Paris run frequently. You can check the Rail Europe site for schedules.

Hi Carol,

Here's another vote to take the train. The trip is longer than an hour, but shorter then the ship's bus. If you get to the station and the train is about to leave just get on board you can buy your tickets from the conductor.

The train goes to Gare St Lazare. Get a tour book and and read a bit about the Paris Metro (subway). It is very easy to figure out. Have a plan and enjoy the sights at a fraction of the cost of a ship's your. We have done this twice.

You will love Paris.

We also took the "on your own" tour to Paris, got off the bus, and hopped on the hop on/off bus in front of the Eiffel Tower.

This is a great suggestion! The hop on/off bus is a great way to see the city. Ride it once around completely and then make a stop wherever you like.

• 4 weeks later...
Take the train from Le Havre, about 1 hour each way, versus a two hour bus ride each way and then tour Paris on your own. Doing this gives you at least 2 more hours in town so you don't have to be as rushed.

Don't plan to go up into the Eiffel Tower. You wait in one line for tickets and then wait in another to get on the elevator. We had someone buy our tickets in advance and meet us there but we still waited over 2 hours to get into the Tower.

Don't miss Notre Dame, a walk up the Champs de Lisse (sp), going up into the Arc de Triumphe (sp) and just soaking up the atmosphere of Paris.

The train station in Le Havre is a short cab ride from the port and trains to Paris run frequently. You can check the Rail Europe site for schedules.

RailEurope's sched shows the trip is 2H7min, how long is the ship's bus in to Paris?

RailEurope's sched shows the trip is 2H7min, how long is the ship's bus in to Paris?

I remember the ship's bus was about 2 hours. I personally would feel nervous taking the train that far away from the ship. I am conservative about using public transportation in ports where the sightseeing is more than an hour away. If there is a transportation problem, then an alternative won't take that much longer if it's only an hour. With a 2 hour trip, the alternative could be pricey. We prefer the ship's excursions for transportation in these cases. That way, delays don't affect your chances of making the ship in time; they wait for their bus loads of passengers. :D

We have been to Paris several times, once on a cruise and I also vote for booking "Paris on your own". Use the cruise line's excursion transportation from the ship to Paris (just in case of any strikes with the train workers, you don't want to be left stranded) and then use the HOHO (hop on-hop off) double deckers they have all over the city. You will enjoy it more, spend less, and go at your own pace than booking a city tour through the cruise line.

If you have been to Paris previously, I recommend the Paris on Your Own excursion. We took that and had no problems getting to the top of the Eiffel Tower shortly after we were dropped off by the bus, getting to and into Notre Dame (no lines when we were there) having lunch at a sidewalk Cafe and doing some general sightseeing (it was Tuesday, so the Louvre was closed). Our first trip to Paris was a one day tour from London involving the Eurostar, a tour of the city's highlights and several hours in the Louvre (certainly not enough time, but enough to see the major exhibits). We have also received excellent reports on the excursion that involves a luncheon cruise on the Seine. The last times we were in LeHavre, we toured the Normandy Beaches on a private tour, and most recently, hired a cab at the port to take us to Honfleur for a wonderful few hours in this picturesque seaside village. Given the distance between LeHavre and Paris, I would hesitate to recommend taking any transportation alternative to the tours offered by the cruiseline. It is expensive and the bus ride is long, but the scenery between the port and Paris made the ride enjoyable and seemed less lengthy than it actually was.

Archived