signing up for internet on back2back cruises

StLouisCruisers

For those who have done a b2b, do you sign up each cruise for internet service? As platinum passengers, we get a $75 credit for a 7 day, then again the following week, correct?

Also, I was wondering if we should print a boarding pass for the second week? Doesn't seem necessary to me, since we'll already be on board and given a new card automatically.

Sandi

If you have any unused minute from the first segment of the cruise you will need to use them up by 9:30am on turnaround day. The wifi will probably be shut down from midnight so you will need to use the internet cafe rather than your laptop (if you brought one) from your cabin.

On most of the Princess ships you buy your minutes for the first cruise and if you have any left over at the end of that cruise typically they carry over and you buy the next package when those minutes when those run out. You can also buy the 2nd package at the beginning of the 2nd cruise and that is added to the minutes in your account. Just be sure you purchase the correct package for your captain's circles level and then that will be deducted whenever you buy the 2nd package during the 2nd cruise.

We've always printed out all of our boarding passess for b-2-b's and sometimes we get a letter from the purser's desk asking that we turn the 2nd one in at the beginning of the 2nd cruise and sometimes you don't need it.

Like most things on Princess ships, this differs from ship to ship. Same with the internet.

If you have any unused minute from the first segment of the cruise you will need to use them up by 9:30am on turnaround day. The wifi will probably be shut down from midnight so you will need to use the internet cafe rather than your laptop (if you brought one) from your cabin.

Have never had this happen. Our experience has been that the service stays active and you can use your account right up until you disembark.

However, as I said in a previous post the internet polices and procedures can differ from ship to ship.

I disembarked the Diamond Princess yesterday (Aug. 29) after B2B cruises. The Internet Cafe manager credited 30 min. of unused (Platinum, CC i.e. free) time from the first cruise to the second cruise.

However, I don't know if this is SOP or he/she was just being nice, and/or I was lucky.

I disembarked the Diamond Princess yesterday (Aug. 29) after B2B cruises. The Internet Cafe manager credited 30 min. of unused (Platinum, CC i.e. free) time from the first cruise to the second cruise.

However, I don't know if this is SOP or he/she was just being nice, and/or I was lucky.

Definitely not SOP. He/she was just being nice and/or you were lucky, especially as it seems you had no idea who the Internet Cafe manager was!

On our B2B on Sapphire, it took a little adjustment by the Internet Cafe manager to make the unused balance roll over, but it was very clearly stated in the Patter that packages were good until you left the ship.

They would not do the rollover on the Emerald Princess this spring for the "free" Plainum/Elite minutes.

Next time I will show them what the Patter says.

What about the extra minutes you get when you sign up on the first day of the cruise? If you have extra minutes left from the first cruise which are rolled over, and only sign up again when those have run out, you'll miss out! Can you sign up on the first day of the second cruise, get those extra minutes, and still hold on to the left-over minutes from the first cruise - if you see what I mean?

Definitely not SOP. He/she was just being nice and/or you were lucky, especially as it seems you had no idea who the Internet Cafe manager was!

I suspected as much... and was surprised to find the unused 30 minutes was 'rolled over' to the second cruise.

I got off the Tahitian yesterday (Sunday) and the left over minutes dsappeared at the end of the first cruise. The internet manager said they only carryover if you pay for them. She said this included buying a larger package than the Platinum/Elite free one, ie $100 credit, but buy $175 package.

On the Emerald last January, we did all of our "interneting" using my account, and exhausted it by the end of the first cruise. We then started using my husband's account (we are both Elite). He had more than 30 minutes left at the end of the first cruise, so the internet attendant rolled over his remaining time to our second cruise. Then we had to use up those rollover minutes (can't waste them;)) before he could sign up for his new package.

We did it this way so that at least one of us could take advantage of the additional 30 minutes they were giving for signing up for a package on Day 1 of a cruise. DH couldn't take advantage of the extra 30 minutes as he already had a rollover balance that was large enough not to be used up on Day 1 of the second cruise.

Clear enough? Probably not, but the bottom line is that our minutes did roll over on the Emerald.

On the Emerald last January, we did all of our "interneting" using my account, and exhausted it by the end of the first cruise. We then started using my husband's account (we are both Elite). He had more than 30 minutes left at the end of the first cruise, so the internet attendant rolled over his remaining time to our second cruise. Then we had to use up those rollover minutes (can't waste them;)) before he could sign up for his new package.

We did it this way so that at least one of us could take advantage of the additional 30 minutes they were giving for signing up for a package on Day 1 of a cruise. DH couldn't take advantage of the extra 30 minutes as he already had a rollover balance that was large enough not to be used up on Day 1 of the second cruise.

Clear enough? Probably not, but the bottom line is that our minutes did roll over on the Emerald.

Princess has changed their policies on the Platinum/Elite internet credit, at least on some ships. They no longer give the first day bonus, if you are just using the credit to buy a package. They no longer carry the remaining minutes to the next cruise IF they were obtained with the credit.

Princess has changed their policies on the Platinum/Elite internet credit, at least on some ships. They no longer give the first day bonus, if you are just using the credit to buy a package. They no longer carry the remaining minutes to the next cruise IF they were obtained with the credit.

Well...bummer.

Actually, on a 10 night cruise, we had plenty of minutes to use, and had a lot of them remaining at the end of the second cruise. I guess the hope is that my internet needs average the same from cruise to cruise; in that case, I'll be all set.

Archived