CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

Yes. You know what they say: "Prunes make everything come out right."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Somehow I missed this thread in its entirety while it was "live". But it has certainly enlivened a gray afternoon here. I raise my glass to you!

By the way, since your investigative skills are excellent, I was wondering if you can find out whether there is any truth to the rumor that the NA is going to be downsized and renamed the "Prunsendam"?

The National Institute of Cheer in cooperation with the Hundred Acre Woods Society for Exploration and Discovery bring you:

Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living - a primer on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Cabana Club Cabanas. You can click on each image below to view a much larger one. Depending on the size of your screen, the enlarged image might be so large that you will have to scroll from side to side to see it.

poohby-joe-cabana-closeup-sm.jpg

Chapter One - In which we are introduced to the Nieuw Amsterdam's cabanas

The Nieuw Amsterdam has two cabana areas, the Cabana Club, on Deck 11 - and a second set of cabanas, adjacent to the Lido Pool on Deck 9. Our report will focus primarily on the Cabana Club cabanas on Deck 11. As a furry bear, wearing a fleece onesie and a Key West Souvenir t-shirt, airflow was important to me. I opted for an open, aft-facing cabana overlooking the retractable roof of the Lido Pool. In addition to the cabanas that are open on both ends, there are also cabanas that are closed in on one end, with a glass wall. These glass-sided cabanas face the sides of the ship.

Here's a view of the cabanas on the starboard side of the ship, as seen from above:

starboard-cabanas-from-above-sm.jpg

And here are the portside cabanas:

port-cabanas-from-above-sm.jpg

Starting from most forward, glass-sided cabana on the starboard side, the names of the cabanas are as follows:

• Sochi* - Starboard Side Cabana
  • Marbella - Starboard Side Cabana
  • Santorini - Starboard Side Cabana
  • Costa Del Sol - Family Cabana
  • Mykonos - Starboard Open Cabana
  • Cote d'Azure - Starboard Open Cabana
  • Palma de Mallorca - Starboard Open Cabana
  • Sorrento - Starboard Open Cabana
  • Portofino - Port Open Cabana
  • Naples - Port Open Cabana
  • Capri - Family Cabana
  • Malaga - Port Side Cabana
  • Rhodes - Port Side Cabana
  • Amalfi - Port Side Cabana

*The Sochi cabana was not rented during any of the weeks we were on the ship. The cabana staff was using it as a staging and service area. We aren't sure if it's not normally rented, or if they're still removing the luge, the ice rinks, ski jumps, and other facilities from when the Winter Olympics were held there earlier in 2014.

We had the Palma de Mallorca cabana, which was open on both ends, and on the starboard side of the ship. Holland America strives to provide cabana guests with all the comforts of home, so they made up a little sign to help personalize our cabana**.

cabana-sign.jpg

As you can see, this little touch helps make Palma de Mallorca a little more like Poohby's Howse.

poohs-howse.jpg

**The is a just a Photoshop job - and not a very good one at that.

Coming Up next: Cabana features, amenities, and services.

Poohby joe is doing good at describing those cabanas. This is going to be great info! I think that used to be my cabana. What happened to my personalized sign:D;)[emoji14].

That is indeed the same cabana that you had. Remember how we mentioned that the next week's cabana attendants were better? The personalized sign is proof. :)

Is Poohby Joe acquainted with Paddington Bear? Perhaps they should travel together.... (and share a cabana)

Poohby Joe had talked about sharing a cabana with his friend Piglet, but being a very small animal, Piglet was afraid of such a large ship as the Nieuw Amsterdam. Piglet would consider the Prinsendam.

Hi POA1

Did you by any chance take any pix of the Lido cabanas, even just a 'group' shot? You have done so much so I thought I would ask. We have rented a Lido cabana for our NA cruise in march and would love to see what they look like. I haven't found many good pix of them on CC.

Thanks

ML

Hi POA1

Did you by any chance take any pix of the Lido cabanas, even just a 'group' shot? You have done so much so I thought I would ask. We have rented a Lido cabana for our NA cruise in march and would love to see what they look like. I haven't found many good pix of them on CC.

Thanks

ML

I did not. There are some people still on though. Perhaps you could post to the 3rd Time's the Charm thread and ask there.

I did not. There are some people still on though. Perhaps you could post to the 3rd Time's the Charm thread and ask there.

I am currently on the NA and will have pics of Lido cabanas next week to post on this thread, the thread above, and on my website: www.rogerjett-photography.com

Do you any other pics you would like to see posted?

I am currently on the NA and will have pics of Lido cabanas next week to post on this thread, the thread above, and on my website: www.rogerjett-photography.com

Do you any other pics you would like to see posted?

Hi Crew News

Wow, I forgot you were still onboard! I have been reading Joanie's thread (tell her Mary Lynn from Albuquerque says hi!). I don't think we need any other pictures but I'll ask DH. I think the only thing different on NA from other ships are the cabanas? But if you or Joanie know of something else that you don't already have pix of, that would be great.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing your pix.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and Merry Christmas

ML

Hi Crew News

Wow, I forgot you were still onboard! I have been reading Joanie's thread (tell her Mary Lynn from Albuquerque says hi!). I don't think we need any other pictures but I'll ask DH. I think the only thing different on NA from other ships are the cabanas? But if you or Joanie know of something else that you don't already have pix of, that would be great.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing your pix.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and Merry Christmas

ML

Try HALfacts.com - a site by and for the forum members here, contributed to by most of the CC members here, specifically for that site and not for any single person's own website. I believe POA has kindly offered to contribute his photos to HALfacts too.

Chapter Two of Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living - In which Poohby Joe introduces you to his cabana, Palma de Mallorca / Mr. SAИDERƧ

Our Cabana Club cabana was located on Deck 11. When you exit the elevators, turn toward the back of the ship and go through the door to the outside deck. There, behind a privacy rope with a sign stating "Private: Heffalumps & Woozles Keep Out" is the Cabana Club area. The Eurodam has an almost identical area, but it is called the Retreat Cabana area. The Noordam has been retrofitted with top deck cabanas in an area called, "The Sandy Pit Where Roo Plays*."

*There is a high likelihood that this is untrue.

Each of the standard cabanas, including MR. SAИDERƧ, measures 13' x 8'. On the Eurodam, they are 11'5" x 8'. (I will not be able to provide the metric dimensions, because - as it has been said - I am a bear of very little brain.) The Family Cabanas are 17' x 12'6" on the Nieuw Amsterdam. On the Eurodam, they are 15'3" x 12'6". I couldn't find the dimensions of the cabanas on the Noordam, mostly because I didn't look.

The two Family Cabanas are 17' x 12'6" on the Nieuw Amsterdam and 15'3" x 12'6" on the Eurodam.

Here's a photo of the Palma De Mallorca**, open-sided cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Please accept my apologies for the messy lounger on the left. POA1 got up and didn't put the towel back in place. He's not to great at making the bed either. After two and a half decades, Huskerchick has learned to accept "flipping the comforter more or less into place" as a substitute for bed-making.

**Spanish for "House at Pooh Corner."

mallorca-cabana-sm.jpg

As you can see, each cabana is equipped with two padded, adjustable chaise lounges, two padded dining chairs, a round dining table, and a small table. Each day, cabana guests receive two bottles of water in an ince bucket as part of their cabana package. There are also two heavy terrycloth cotton robes in each cabana. You can't see them in the photo though. (As a note, they are much to big for me, but since my fleece onesie is sewn on, and I have the cool Key West T that Huskerchick bought me, I'm okay. There may be other sizes of robes available, but probably not XXXTinySmall.

The side cabanas are very similar, but they are not open on both ends. You lose some airflow, but you gain extra protection from the wind and other elements. A view of the ocean on sea days is an added bonus.

The family cabanas are designed for four people and are located at the two aft corners of the Cabana Club / Retreat Area / Sandy Pit Where Roo Plays. They have lounge chairs for four, and two round tables with four chairs.

Family Cabana (Capri):

family-cabana-sm.jpg

Please note that your cabana stewards will bring an extra chair for you if you have company. We did that a few times when Huskerchick's father has lunch with us.

Cruise Critic Member "No Whiners" asked about photos of the Lido Cabanas. I was going to take some, but since I am only about 10 inches tall, I could not reach the elevator button to go down to the Lido Deck (9) -- However, I noticed that "No Whiners" has a New York Giants logo as their Cruise Critic avatar. Given the Giants' dismal season, I thought it would be nice to cheer No Whiners up, so I found a YouTube video about the Lido Cabanas. Someone named "Deekie Watson" posted it to YouTube. You can see it here:

G75NIksWzsQ

In case you are wondering if you can see the Lido Pool, or hear the HAL Cats, this is the view from the railing of the Mr. SAИDERƧ cabana:

view-from-cabana-01-sm.jpg

The sliding Thunderdome*** blocks the view of the pool, and most of the sound from below, even when the sliding roof is open.

view-from-cabana-02-sm.jpg

***Not the dome's real name. Its real name is Kevin.

Coming up next: Poohby Joe explores some more.

side-cabana-setup-sm.jpg

"Cruise Critic Member "No Whiners" asked about photos of the Lido Cabanas. I was going to take some, but since I am only about 10 inches tall, I could not reach the elevator button to go down to the Lido Deck (9) -- However, I noticed that "No Whiners" has a New York Giants logo as their Cruise Critic avatar. Given the Giants' dismal season, I thought it would be nice to cheer No Whiners up, so I found a YouTube video about the Lido Cabanas. Someone named "Deekie Watson" posted it to YouTube. You can see it here:"

Hi Poohby Joe

Thank you so much for this video! I can't believe how inconsiderate I was, not thinking about your not being able to reach the elevator buttons--my apologies :). I do appreciate your sympathy for my under-performing Giants. there's always next season <sigh>. The video definitely cheered me up.

Go get yourself some honey and put it on my tab!

ML

"

Hi Poohby Joe

Thank you so much for this video! I can't believe how inconsiderate I was, not thinking about your not being able to reach the elevator buttons--my apologies :). I do appreciate your sympathy for my under-performing Giants. there's always next season <sigh>. The video definitely cheered me up.

Go get yourself some honey and put it on my tab!

ML

Thanks, ML!

You can imagine my disappointment when they didn't have my favorite beer, Honey Brown Lager on the ship. They did have honey roasted peanuts and regular honey, which is nice if I wanted a little smackerel of something.

Your pal, Poohby Joe

Edited by POA1