CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

I plan to do a little research on the wines in the packages, since our next trip is likely to be one that starts in Canada and ends in Boston - which means that we'll be buying our wines instead of bringing them from home.

I'll let you know what we thing of the Cab, and the Equilibrium after tonight. The Franciscan white blend is about 70% Sauvignon Blanc, about 20% Chardonnay, with the rest being Muscat. The other two grapes take a bit of the acidic bite out of the Sauvignon Blanc, and make it a good choice for people who sometimes find Sauv. Blanc to be a bit too acidic, or even "grassy."

Glad we can help brighten winter - which, as I hate to remind you, hasn't even begun yet. :eek:

Winter might not be here officially by the calendar, but trust me when I say, it has certainly come to your Northern neigbours:eek:

POA1, will you please do us a favour? Will you please continue to write, even after you get home? I'm pretty sure even the most mundane things you do, i.e. getting the newspaper, changing the cat litter, going for groceries, etc., would keep us in stitches, simply because of your way with words.

Thanks for taking us along with you; it's been most enjoyable. Hope you have a safe journey home. :D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

POA1, will you please do us a favour? Will you please continue to write, even after you get home? I'm pretty sure even the most mundane things you do, i.e. getting the newspaper, changing the cat litter, going for groceries, etc., would keep us in stitches, simply because of your way with words.

Thanks for taking us along with you; it's been most enjoyable. Hope you have a safe journey home. :D

^^^ I second that motion!:D

(glad to see quote function is working again.)

And I "third" the motion! I tried to get a "pretend cruise" report during the interim week, but this is an even better idea! Lasts longer too.. :)

Last night's show was "Cantare," featuring a quartet of male vocalists. It was "Voted the Best Show At Sea by Porthole Magazine. It was very enjoyable and I am glad we went. Our only wish is that they would lighten up on the reverb and echo and let the singers' voices shine through. Production values were high for a HAL show, with dedicated sets and an LED light curtain as the backdrop. If you're on a ship and Cantare's on the schedule, see the show.

We also caught the final B.B. King Show of the night. DFIL went straight to the Piano Bar after dinner and spent the evening there. He gives it very high marks and the place has been pretty much packed for all of two weeks now.

Today was a little on the chilly side on Half Moon Cay. It was 73 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 23 degrees Celsius. The water was in the low 70s, or 22 C. It was cloudy as we arrived, but by around 11:00 AM (Boxing Day in Canada) the sun was shining brightly. The Nieuw Amsterdam was the only ship at HMC, and the cloudy start to the day meant that plenty of chairs were available to anyone arriving on the island before 10:00 AM. We rented a clamshell to give us a home base and a shady place to store our gear. We chose one close to the Captain Morgan pirate ship bar. That location gives you quick access to drinks, and the restrooms - in case the drinks need to come out.

Have you ever been around a person who found silence so abhorrent that they felt compelled to talk, non-stop, lest the silence try to attack and take the high ground? We had one such woman in front of us on the beach at Half Moon Cay. After a good 90 minutes of this woman's non-stop jibber jabber, Huskerchick leaned over and said, "I'm afraid she's going to use up all the oxygen!" I looked up, and I can't swear to this, but I am pretty sure that all the yammering used up so much air that the ship was being pulled closer to the shore.

We skipped the island barbeque, instead opting for lunch in DW's cabana. We had a nice health-conscious lunch of Dive-In Burgers and Fries, with iced tea. (Lunch was healthful because we didn't eat all our fries, nor did we put sugar in our tea. We basically had the equivalent of protein smoothies.)

The cabana attendants this week, Ed & John are excellent. Huskerchick will miss them. On the plus side, they've pretty much got her sold on getting a cabana whenever one's available on a ship we're on.

There will be quite a bit more material posted when we get back home and I dig out the on-so-tiny keyboard so that we can put together: "Poohby Joe presents: A Guide to Cabana Living."

We're engaged in packing. You can tell who's doing most of the work by virtue of the fact that I'm writing this for you. We (as in DW) should be done in time for our last shipboard happy hour of the cruise. We're in the Pinnacle tonight and we are scheduled to disembark between 8:00 and 8:15 AM. If all goes according to schedule, we should be home by 8:30 and unpacked - with a load of laundry in the washing machine - just before 9:00 AM.

We're planning to get some more Pinnacle pix tonight, but they probably won't get posted until we're back at HQ.

Thank You, Huskerchick for doing the bulk of the packing so POA1 is free to entertain us. Frankly, I'm grateful that I have a Christmas Cruise for which to prepare, otherwise I'd be suffering heavy withdrawal.

Thank you both for the love, laughter and education. As a former Ft. Lauderdale resident I will make a pre cruise toast to you and your DH somewhere on Las Olas or 17th Street. After I drive by my old house and convince myself that our move was warranted!

Wishing you and your DH a lifetime of smooth sailings and deep discounts at Total Wine.

Pamela:):)

In what will likely be my final post before we head to the Pinnacle for dinner (after the Ocean Bar for pre-dinner drinks, that is - ) We spotted the most elusive of species last night: The 70+ year old guy in the Tuxedo-print T-Shirt and shorts. To put a cap on our sighting, he was wearing gray shorts, and Crocs with socks.

At the risk of turning this into a dress code thread, I have to point out the following truisms:

1. If you are a pre-teen, and you are forced to attend a formal event with your parents, or an uptight auntie and uncle, the tuxedo t-shirt might - and I repeat might - be perceived as "cool" and/or "edgy."
  2. If the conditions in #1 above are not in effect, you are most definitely not "cool."
  3. If your tux shirt has been washed so many times that the black is gray and the red of the corsage is mottled pink, you are uncool.

If you would like to defend the tuxedo T-shirt septuagenarian, please start a new thread, perhaps with the title "Old Dudes in Tux Ts Rule." Thanks!

In what will likely be my final post before we head to the Pinnacle for dinner (after the Ocean Bar for pre-dinner drinks, that is - ) We spotted the most elusive of species last night: The 70+ year old guy in the Tuxedo-print T-Shirt and shorts. To put a cap on our sighting, he was wearing gray shorts, and Crocs with socks.

At the risk of turning this into a dress code thread, I have to point out the following truisms:

1. If you are a pre-teen, and you are forced to attend a formal event with your parents, or an uptight auntie and uncle, the tuxedo t-shirt might - and I repeat might - be perceived as "cool" and/or "edgy."
  2. If the conditions in #1 above are not in effect, you are most definitely not "cool."
  3. If your tux shirt has been washed so many times that the black is gray and the red of the corsage is mottled pink, you are uncool.

If you would like to defend the tuxedo T-shirt septuagenarian, please start a new thread, perhaps with the title "Old Dudes in Tux Ts Rule." Thanks!

After I posted this, I realized that I should probably clarify things. Tuxedo-T-Shirt Guy was not in the MDR. He was out in the atrium area near the Ocean Bar. They definitely seem to be enforcing the jacket-required part of the dress code in the dining room. Guests in the specialty restaurants always look spiffy. (I know that the moment I hit "submit", there will be a wife-beater tank top and some ripped shorts at the next table at the Pinnacle tonight. As long as they don't take the last chocolate ball, it's all good. :D )

We spotted the most elusive of species last night: The 70+ year old guy in the Tuxedo-print T-Shirt and shorts. To put a cap on our sighting, he was wearing gray shorts, and Crocs with socks.

I'm not sure what is more offensive and tacky, the Tuxedo-print T-shirt or the Crocs with socks. :eek: That being said I'm married to a man who would wear socks with his sandals if I didn't threaten to up the octave of his voice if he dared do so. :rolleyes:

I love a cabana too and will likely continue to book one as well. Thx for the laugh about your "cold" weather at hmc.

Don't you just love it when people who reside in the southern states think that the water at HMC is cold. I love that water so much that I usually find myself on the very last tender back to the ship. I figure if the water doesn't have floating ice in it, it's warm enough to swim in.:D I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get two stops at HMC in January. On my last NA cruise, we only managed one stop and missed Grand Turk, which I also love.

I'm not sure what is more offensive and tacky, the Tuxedo-print T-shirt or the Crocs with socks. :eek: That being said I'm married to a man who would wear socks with his sandals if I didn't threaten to up the octave of his voice if he dared do so. :rolleyes:

I am married to his brother. :D

Edited by Stratheden

Don't you just love it when people who reside in the southern states think that the water at HMC is cold. I love that water so much that I usually find myself on the very last tender back to the ship. I figure if the water doesn't have floating ice in it, it's warm enough to swim in.:D I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get two stops at HMC in January. On my last NA cruise, we only managed one stop and missed Grand Turk, which I also love.

Too funny. They should check out lakes in the okanogan ( British Colombia )if they think that's cold.

After I posted this, I realized that I should probably clarify things. Tuxedo-T-Shirt Guy was not in the MDR. He was out in the atrium area near the Ocean Bar.

Just as bad. HAL's trying to make money selling drinks. It's tough to hold your liquor when you see something like that. ;)

Thank you POA1 for your delightful "Live From" review. I started reading two days ago and haven't put my IPad down except to eat and sleep. My husband and I sail the western portion of your cruise on the NA three weeks from tomorrow and can't wait. Reading your posts have really ramped up my excitement. Love your way of writing and your boundless information. I'm hoping Jeffrey is in the Crow's Nest for my husband's nightly Negroni hour.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading the what you have in store for us this week after you get home.

I don't think your trip home is too long. However, I hope it is safe. I have thoroughly enjoyed your thread.

It has given me second thoughts about doing a live thread from my Grand South America voyage in January because I will be so boring.

I would ask you one favor. When you have the time, please email me with the instructions to scanning from an iPhone to evernote and then to CC.

Thanks,

Terri

I don't think your trip home is too long. However, I hope it is safe. I have thoroughly enjoyed your thread.

It has given me second thoughts about doing a live thread from my Grand South America voyage in January because I will be so boring.

I would ask you one favor. When you have the time, please email me with the instructions to scanning from an iPhone to evernote and then to CC.

Thanks,

Terri

Terri, your Live From will definitely not be boring! It will just be a different style.;)

Thanks,

Terri

By all means, PLEASE do a "live from" on your cruise. DW & I really appreciate everyone who takes time out from their vacation to write. I'll try to e-mail you with instructions on the Evernote thing when we get back home.

Your final post? please don't let this be true.

The best live ever (better than your previous which was the best live before this one).

You have been a joy to follow and kept many of our winter doldrums away (I don't care if it not officially winter or not - it is winter now as far as I am concerned).

Many thanks for a marvelous thread, great photography and to the others that have joined in with you.

Please post some more - please? pretty please? If I add honey will Pooh help you?

thanks again - you are the BEST!

As part of our ongoing series of shout-outs, praise, and attaboys, we'd like to say thank you to Alper, the manager of the Pinnacle Grill on the Nieuw Amsterdam. He does a great job with the front of the house.

We had a less than good experience in the Pinnacle on the Noordam earlier this year, but Alper's dining room is much, much better.

=================

Also, as part of our "Oh, crap! I completely messed up the name of that dish" series, the "Melting Chocolate Ball" is actually listed as a "Melting Chocolate Bowl" on the menu. The Institute regrets this error, but is willing to stand by its original naming convention. As you can see from the photos, the dessert is clearly a sphere. It's much more of a "ball" than a "bowl." We look forward to clarifying this issue in the near future, and we will endeavor to keep you posted. We would invite you to follow #BowlMovement on Twitter, but we're pretty sure that's just going to bring up the prune thing again.

Thanks,

Terri

Please, Please do a "Live" thread when you cruise.