family cruise

Breezy Kate & Joe

Is there a reason for only these 2 choices? You have already determined the route? Round trip Seattle?

Have you already determined what activities you are going to include? Port time allows?

If you haven't, I first suggest you find out about each Alaska port (there are only 6 on the inside passage) see if you have any preference, and determine what you want to spend your time doing in port. Read up and take a look at each glacier area.

This goes a long way toward selections.

I have taken both Carnival and NCL cruises in Alaska multiple times. I certainly have enjoyed both.

i ask about only these two lines because the 20 somethings are all boys and not into dressing up!! I thought these two were more casual cruises than the other lines

Holland America Line's dress code on Gala Nights is a collared shirt and slacks for males in the Main Dining Room which is hardly "dressing up". If collared shirts (polos) are still too much, you can order the same meal delivered to your stateroom for no charge.

It is important to pick what you want to see/itinerary before you choose the cruise line/ship unless you are a Disney family.

i ask about only these two lines because the 20 somethings are all boys and not into dressing up!! I thought these two were more casual cruises than the other lines

You've made a wrong assumption. No one has to "dress up", there are alternative dining options, including buffets. I haven't dressed up for over 10 years, and couldn't be bothered.

It is FAR more important for you to understand the various routes and what each port and glacier offers, my opinion, only. I would suggest you start there first. THEN find a cruise that has your selections.

We booked our first Alaskan cruise last year - after doing a bunch of research, we realized what everyone else has posted makes sense - choose itinerary first followed by cruise line. None of the mainstream lines require any special 'dressing up' other than a collared shirt and slacks - khaki's and a polo will work for gala/elegant nites these days. And it appears that Alaskan itineraries are a little more lenient in the dress code as well - within reason

We are sailing the HAL Eurodam.

No one has said it so I will...do your three sons drink?

If so, I would go with NCL and select that for perk in their rooms. NCL seems to attract a somewhat younger crowd as well (in Caribbean, don't know about Alaska).

Finally, Bliss will be in Alaska this summer which will be a BIG boat with a lot to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one has said it so I will...do your three sons drink?

If so, I would go with NCL and select that for perk in their rooms. NCL seems to attract a somewhat younger crowd as well (in Caribbean, don't know about Alaska).

Finally, Bliss will be in Alaska this summer which will be a BIG boat with a lot to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other cruise lines run that perk as well. Princess currently has that special. Celebrity runs it periodically also (and I am sure I am missing other lines).

In Alaska - the age demographic is older for all cruise lines. You can't go by Caribbean ages in Alaska.

I, too, was debating which cruise line to take.

My husband and I are in our late 40's and couple we traveled with are in early 50's. Left kids at home;p

Our decision was based on:

First--- Itinerary Glacier Bay.

Ship-- Second NCL Sun

NCL Sun was a great choice for us. Great mix of all ages.... not to formal... and free drinks

Had a great time!!

We are Platinum with Carnival and were very happy with our Alaskan cruise this past May. We have always found Carnival to be less expensive since we are a family of 6 and need to get 2 rooms. We had a 36, 31, 29 and 27 year old with us and the guys don't really care about dressing up any more and we always prefer eating in the MDR for dinner. They only dressed up the 2 nights that were elegant night and just wore casual pants with casual long sleeve shirt. The other nights we all dressed very casual. They didn't go to Alaska to find people their age, so having more older people did not bother them. We were there for seeing Alaska. We have loved all our Carnival cruises!

We are Platinum with Carnival and were very happy with our Alaskan cruise this past May. We have always found Carnival to be less expensive since we are a family of 6 and need to get 2 rooms. We had a 36, 31, 29 and 27 year old with us and the guys don't really care about dressing up any more and we always prefer eating in the MDR for dinner. They only dressed up the 2 nights that were elegant night and just wore casual pants with casual long sleeve shirt. The other nights we all dressed very casual. They didn't go to Alaska to find people their age, so having more older people did not bother them. We were there for seeing Alaska. We have loved all our Carnival cruises!

I never book based on loyalty, since it is way too limiting for my travels. Carnival does have some pluses with their Alaska itinerary, especially their ship naturalist and nice itinerary with Juneau and Tracy Arm separate days. However, this is just one option and no one way itinerary for Seward or Whittier as example.

Everyone needs to decide what will work best for them, but sometimes the focus is skewed in a direction that, in the whole selection, may not be the priority, first thought. Take the time and think through carefully. Even if visiting Alaska yearly, it's still a long time in between. Many have less frequent visits.

After advice from on here, we figured out our itinerary first (wanted to go through Glacier Bay, round trip Vancouver) and then selected HAL Volendam..we are sailing in 2 weeks. We are two younger families and my 67 year old mom- ping me in a couple of weeks if you like :)

After advice from on here, we figured out our itinerary first (wanted to go through Glacier Bay, round trip Vancouver) and then selected HAL Volendam..we are sailing in 2 weeks. We are two younger families and my 67 year old mom- ping me in a couple of weeks if you like :)

Kudos for choosing my favorite cruise line. Here are your menus for the Lido Market (buffet) and the Main Dining Room:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2017-menus/

Here are breakfast, Room Service, Specialty Restaurant, and beverage menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Kudos for choosing my favorite cruise line. Here are your menus for the Lido Market (buffet) and the Main Dining Room:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2017-menus/

Here are breakfast, Room Service, Specialty Restaurant, and beverage menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Awesome!! Thank you!

• 1 month later...