Can we avoid rafting?

OnTheWater50

Rafting is pretty much unavoidable. You should expect one or more depending on your trips in the Netherlands, and on the Rhine, Danube, and Rhone. I've not yet been rafted on the Soane and Elbe (where there was barely enough water for one ship).

I've been on both port and starboard and it makes no difference.

Amsterdam, Budapest, Strasbourg are almost certain for rafting, including even the industrial docks in Amsterdam. Cologne, Coblenz, Melk, Regensburg, and Passau are very likely.

If you are rafted at the Amsterdam dock beside the main railroad station, don't complain - be grateful.

The 'Tulip Time' trips are becoming traffic jams at times. The 'Christmas Market Cruises' are rapidly heading toward the same problem.

I don't mind walking through another ship, but crawling over one is a real pain.

If you are not rafted at dock, you will have great views of city, countryside, and/or river.

No one has yet mentioned the FUMES from the adjacent ships. Need to keep the windows closed then. :( This has also happened in locks.

I can only speak from my experiences on 9 European River cruises. Even with this, I am very satisfied with most of my voyages.

Well said, Hydrokitty.

Another way to approach rafting is to book aquarium class--aren't the best views from the top deck and public spaces anyway? Then one wouldn't be paying for a balcony/verandah that would be unusable part of the time.

Currently on Viking Grand European. Top deck has been closed for 4 days and we're told it will stay that way until mid day Monday......it's now Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did you see the video of kayakers and canoeists filling the Peterborough lift lock?

Yes, our nephew & several friends were in there. We couldn't make it as we were on the East Coast, but would have loved to have been able to participate. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking we'll be trying to check out all the locks going down the river...guess we like weird things...:)

Edited by Daisi

Currently on Viking Grand European. Top deck has been closed for 4 days and we're told it will stay that way until mid day Monday......it's now Saturday.

They have to close the top deck due to the low bridges along this portion of the trip. If you are up there, you will see how low the bridges can be, forcing you to duck at times. Cheer up, you will enjoy for the remainder of the trip.

They have to close the top deck due to the low bridges along this portion of the trip. If you are up there, you will see how low the bridges can be, forcing you to duck at times. Cheer up, you will enjoy for the remainder of the trip.

I understand why the top deck is closed. Responding to a previous post about booking the deck 2 cabins. No need to tell me to "cheer up".

I understand why the top deck is closed. Responding to a previous post about booking the deck 2 cabins. No need to tell me to "cheer up".

My apologies if I offended you. I did not realize you were responding to an earlier post and thought you were unaware that the sun Deck would be closed for an extended period. Clearly that was not the case although it does come as a surprise to some people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Many boats have a public area both fore and aft on the main deck, usable even when the Sun Deck is closed.. Viking has Explorer Suites aft, so no public area there. If you put 190 passengers in a Rhine-Main-Danube boat you are going to lose public areas.

Another nice place to watch the locks and passing scenery is the bow of the ship, the outside area of the lounge

Even there I remember some of the bridges being so close that I felt if I stretched up I could touch them. But that was where we spent our cruising time when the sundeck was closed.

Even there I remember some of the bridges being so close that I felt if I stretched up I could touch them. But that was where we spent our cruising time when the sundeck was closed.

We did too....Vantage had a collapsing bridge that would descend into the top deck so that only enough was above deck that the captain could poke his head through....we weren't paying attention and I was standing with my back up river talking to another gentlemen when he quietly said "you'd better sit down...NOW" I turned around and believe me sat down fast!!! And the captain was laughing along with the kids on the bridge. But we were able to sit up there in lounge chairs while the bridge was collapsed.

Hi all,

I am the OP and just noticed this thread has come back to life. So...here I am with my update. First, thanks for all of the information and photos (sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, Sue!). I will say that the insider information about rafting was very helpful and was not a river cruising positive for me.

We are traveling with old friends who have a little bit different travel needs so I was also looking for something that would check all of the boxes for them (coffee, late mornings, gym). I ordered the gorgeous books from all of the river cruise lines and ended up with a giant pile to go through (this is my kind of fun). Along with the river cruise book, Viking sent a small brochure about their new ocean line - I took one look and was in love! Viking Ocean hit the sweet spot for all of us - design, balconies for all, wine/beer with meals, included excursions, food choices, gym, etc...

So, we ended up going to the West Indies - not the original plan at all! The most important part of this trip is spending relaxing time with old friends and I think we made a good choice for that. I'm pretty good at obsessively researching/planning trips and then letting go and enjoying once the trip starts.

So, once again, many thanks and happy cruising to all!

Hi all,

I am the OP and just noticed this thread has come back to life. So...here I am with my update. First, thanks for all of the information and photos (sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, Sue!). I will say that the insider information about rafting was very helpful and was not a river cruising positive for me.

We are traveling with old friends who have a little bit different travel needs so I was also looking for something that would check all of the boxes for them (coffee, late mornings, gym). I ordered the gorgeous books from all of the river cruise lines and ended up with a giant pile to go through (this is my kind of fun). Along with the river cruise book, Viking sent a small brochure about their new ocean line - I took one look and was in love! Viking Ocean hit the sweet spot for all of us - design, balconies for all, wine/beer with meals, included excursions, food choices, gym, etc...

So, we ended up going to the West Indies - not the original plan at all! The most important part of this trip is spending relaxing time with old friends and I think we made a good choice for that. I'm pretty good at obsessively researching/planning trips and then letting go and enjoying once the trip starts.

DH says I get more fun out of planning the trip than taking it! There's a certain amount of truth to that. IMHO obsessive research and planning is a good thing when you're spending this kind of money. Glad it worked out for you. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Hi all,

Well - I'm glad to hear that because I have been drooling over the Viking Ocean cruise brochures as well! The Montreal to NYC itinerary intrigues me, but the West Indies one looks great also. Glad to hear you liked it!