Can we avoid rafting?

OnTheWater50

Exactly, Kitty. It's a lot easier for mobility limited people to travel now than in years past, but there are some things that do require a certain level of activity in order to be fully enjoyed. I would definitely be one of those people who would continue to cruise even if it meant staying on the ship, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity to explore different ports and sites while I'm still able.

Roz

• 4 months later...

Currently on Viking Budapest to Amsterdam. 1st River Cruise. Overnighted in Budapest and Vienna and we're next to ships both nights and some of the day

Dissapointed that we couldn"t use our veranda those nights. We were inside for awhile the ended up sandwiched between 2 other ships. We have 68 locks to traverse and that has impacted visibility as the ones we've gone through have been at different times of the night/day. Cabin is on Starboard side. Posting some pics below.

Vew out while In a lock

838ef3b893c69bed5972ba628c385545.jpg

Close to another boat.

dd8e6206e53efa4e1d39f68eb1df098f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics suzyluvs2cruise, it's nice to see just how close you are if you are rafted. It doesn't bother me, as I figure it could be a new way to meet people...

One thing I am looking forward to is going through the locks. We live on a UNESCO Canal with locks, and about an hour away from 2 others. We often go to watch boats go through the locks, and are looking forward to actually doing it ourselves.

We did a Rhine cruise in June on Scenic, and only rafted once for about an hour in our point of embarkation which had to be changed from Basel due to high water, shortly thereafter the other boat left. That was it.

I did however in most of our stops see Viking boats rafted to other Viking boats. I do not know if it is because they have more boats and limited docking space?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Avoid rafting!! :eek:

Perhaps the OP should read the thread on the popularity of river cruising and all the new ships that Viking, et.al., are adding to their fleets. Rafting is going to progressively get worse not better!

Locks also wake lots of folks up from sleep. The boats sometimes scrapes along the lock making noise.

LOL - I hope they wake me up! I don't want to miss any. I think it would take quite a number of river cruises before locks would bore me!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the highest lock on the Rhine? One of the ones close to us is 3 locks that raise 20 metres, then another is a lift lock that also raises the same amount.

Daisi,

Welland? St Lawrence? Rideau? Trent-Severn?

Just wondering, RB

Daisi,

Welland? St Lawrence? Rideau? Trent-Severn?

Just wondering, RB

We're on the Rideau, not far from the St. Lawrence or Trent-Severn. We have toured (as much as you can) the full length of the Welland, Trent - Severn, Rideau and most of the St. Lawrence waterways. We like watching boats go through....:)

I am starting to look at river cruises for the first time for 2017. We are in our 50's, active, and would prefer all-inclusive. We love good food, decent wine, and would like active excursions/bikes. We have been on 3 ocean cruises (liked Azamara) and must have a balcony/open-air.

River cruising sounds like a wonderful way to explore cities and I love to be on the water but my reading has led me to understand that most, if not all, of the river cruise ships will raft with other ships (at least sometimes). Rafting is NOT appealing to me; I do not love crowds. So, helpful Cruise Critic members, do you have ideas about how to lessen the chances of rafting? Time of year, particular routes, or cruise lines that may raft more or less? We are not wedded to any particular timing or even cruise route yet.

If it is not possible to avoid rafting (at least most of the cruise), I will explore barge cruising a bit more. Barge cruising sounds lovely but, of course, barges cannot explore larger cities or waterways and they only go a very short distance.

I would appreciate any input to help us find a river cruise that is as interesting and beautiful as any but maybe a bit off the beaten path...many thanks!

Have you booked a river cruise yet? Check into Scenic river cruises, most cabins have actual balconies where you can sit.

Marlster

Have you booked a river cruise yet? Check into Scenic river cruises, most cabins have actual balconies where you can sit...
And look at the boat next to you.:mad:

OnTheWater50: I know this is not very helpful, but you would have been much better off cruising 15-20 years ago when there were not so many boats (why does Yogi Berra's "nobody goes there anymore; there are too many people" come to mind?). There are a few less boats in shoulder season (spring and fall) and weather, prices and crowds are usually better.

Thom

LOL - I hope they wake me up! I don't want to miss any. I think it would take quite a number of river cruises before locks would bore me!

Us too cybernetic....we thought nothing of standing at the French balcony in our jimmies! DH is mechanical & civil engineer so he's like a kid with new leg is....and you might as well get up cause the guys working the lock don't care how much noise they make! 😂

It's all part of the adventure.

...we thought nothing of standing at the French balcony in our jimmies! DH is mechanical & civil engineer so he's like a kid with new leg is....and you might as well get up cause the guys working the lock don't care how much noise they make! 😂
And those guys have seen people in jammies (or less) before:p

Thom

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the highest lock on the Rhine? One of the ones close to us is 3 locks that raise 20 metres, then another is a lift lock that also raises the same amount.

Did you see the video of kayakers and canoeists filling the Peterborough lift lock?

Us too cybernetic....we thought nothing of standing at the French balcony in our jimmies! DH is mechanical & civil engineer so he's like a kid with new leg is....and you might as well get up cause the guys working the lock don't care how much noise they make! 😂

It's all part of the adventure.

Haha! I have one of those too! We think the locks are pretty neat.

Have you booked a river cruise yet? Check into Scenic river cruises, most cabins have actual balconies where you can sit.

Marlster

Our cabin on the Viking Mani has an actual balcony with 2 chairs and a small table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Back to the OP's original question (Can we avoid rafting?), I would imagine in early spring and late fall, when there are fewer ships sailing, there would be less need to raft? Those who have sailed at those times could offer some insight.

Back to the OP's original question (Can we avoid rafting?), I would imagine in early spring and late fall, when there are fewer ships sailing, there would be less need to raft? Those who have sailed at those times could offer some insight.

The problem with river cruising is that most of us are in the retired class so our vacations are not usually based upon school schedules, which means early spring might or might not be crowded depending on the destination (tulip cruises)...late fall might or might not be crowded depending on the autumn colors, which can be spectacular on the Danube, Rhine and Rhone. Even winter has the Christmas market cruises which are getting more and more popular. I think we have to treat rafting as one of the "evils" of cruising. I've been rafted in April and in late September. My advice to someone who would really be upset to the point of having their trip ruined by waking up tied to another boat is pick another method of transportation....because no matter when you go no company will guarantee that you won't be rafted at some point. Also keep in mind that early Spring and late Autumn can bring about other problems on these rivers...some of which would make rafting the least of them.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Well said, Hydrokitty.

Another way to approach rafting is to book aquarium class--aren't the best views from the top deck and public spaces anyway? Then one wouldn't be paying for a balcony/verandah that would be unusable part of the time.

The problem with river cruising is that most of us are in the retired class so our vacations are not usually based upon school schedules, which means early spring might or might not be crowded depending on the destination (tulip cruises)...late fall might or might not be crowded depending on the autumn colors, which can be spectacular on the Danube, Rhine and Rhone. Even winter has the Christmas market cruises which are getting more and more popular. I think we have to treat rafting as one of the "evils" of cruising. I've been rafted in April and in late September. My advice to someone who would really be upset to the point of having their trip ruined by waking up tied to another boat is pick another method of transportation....because no matter when you go no company will guarantee that you won't be rafted at some point. Also keep in mind that early Spring and late Autumn can bring about other problems on these rivers...some of which would make rafting the least of them.