Getting to Port Everglades without a car?

FL..NC

I'll suggest you post on the Northeast Departures board. It doesn't look like anybody here has used them but I think they primarily serve New York and Bayonne.
But OP wants to go from Leesburg FL 45 mi NW of Orlando to Ft Laud.
You may still want to contact them but it looks like they are a "direct to ship" outfit and going with them the day before would probably not work.
OP could take a taxi from the port to a hotel.

I'm not even sure the poster could take any bus from there.. The only suggestion we have would be to go take Greyhound from Ocala or go on the weekend & lay over in Ft. Lauderdale..
Cruise Connection does pick up in Leesburg, and the OP said in his first post "Cruise Connection Bus which I use all the time does not run on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday." All he has to do is take the bus on Monday - the ship sails on Wed.

I'll suggest you post on the Northeast Departures board. It doesn't look like anybody here has used them but I think they primarily serve New York and Bayonne. You may still want to contact them but it looks like they are a "direct to ship" outfit and going with them the day before would probably not work. I suspect only they can tell you that.

Roy

As mentioned earlier (post #2) the best place to post for local knowledge would be the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

OP, check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274906

The feedback there sounded good. I think it's worth giving them a call since they have a Rotterdam cruise in their schedule; they MIGHT add the Amsterdam as the date gets a bit closer.

Roy

Thanks, all the information I needed. Great site..:)

OP Forgot to mention I believe there is a train which operates from Lakeland to Ft. Lauderdale daily..You would have to take a bus to the train..

Or rent a car to drive to Lakeland and pick up the train. As I said earlier, there are many options. BTW, Leesburg, according to MapQuest, is actually 250 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. While you are correct that it is not "close"; it also is not far. We drive further than that to get to FLL. And traffic on our beloved I-75 is not so hot, either! I have driven in Ft. Lauderdale and on I-95, and it has nothing on Tampa's miserable traffic.

The point, as other posters have mentioned, OP is taking a world cruise. The cost of hiring a car or a shuttle service may not be outside the realm of possibility. For instance, we are presently in North Georgia. There are shuttle services to Atlanta airport from some of the outlying hotels. Perhaps there is such a service from a Orlando area hotel to Port Everglades It would mean renting a car to the hotel or have a friend/relative/neighbor drive them to the site. A Google search might be productive.

Edited by Tampa Girl

Why the attitude? OP is asking if anyone has used Yankee Trails Cruise Express. That's a perfectly reasonable question IMO.

Thank you! Just about every response was rude. OP go to the Florida departure forum. Maybe they'll have some useful information and might be nicer!

If you can get to Orlando or Gainesville (perhaps a friend can drop you off?) then you can catch the Megabus for as little as $5 to get to FLL. From the drop in FLL you can taxi to a hotel and terminal.

My father lived in Leesburg until he passed and there really aren't a lot of alternatives for transportation. I do know that The Villages has shuttles that run to MCO in Orlando and some of the planned communities in the area also have them. The Megabus terminal in Orlando is under 10 miles straight up SR436 from the airport at SR50.

Or rent a car to drive to Lakeland and pick up the train. As I said earlier, there are many options. BTW, Leesburg, according to MapQuest, is actually 250 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. While you are correct that it is not "close"; it also is not far. We drive further than that to get to FLL. And traffic on our beloved I-75 is not so hot, either! I have driven in Ft. Lauderdale and on I-95, and it has nothing on Tampa's miserable traffic.

The point, as other posters have mentioned, OP is taking a world cruise. The cost of hiring a car or a shuttle service may not be outside the realm of possibility. For instance, we are presently in North Georgia. There are shuttle services to Atlanta airport from some of the outlying hotels. Perhaps there is such a service from a Orlando area hotel to Port Everglades It would mean renting a car to the hotel or have a friend/relative/neighbor drive them to the site. A Google search might be productive.

Perhaps the OP doesn't drive? Since Orlando isn't an "outlying area" of FLL (I've driven it several times; it's a bit over 200 road miles), there are no shuttles between them. Google is very good at providing this info.

Perhaps the OP doesn't drive? Since Orlando isn't an "outlying area" of FLL (I've driven it several times; it's a bit over 200 road miles), there are no shuttles between them. Google is very good at providing this info.

Of course, he or she might not drive. All the suggestions we posters are making are contingent upon the OP being able to drive at least a short distance or having someone drive him/her. All we are doing is throwing out suggestions. Some may or may not work for the OP. But that is no reason not to suggest them.

I just Googled. There are shuttles between Orlando and Port Everglades. One, very expensive, is the FSB (Florida Shuttle Bus), at $460. Expensive, yes, but this is a world cruise. . . Second, the Florida Express Bus, which describes itself as a shuttle service, which has several departures a day between various Orlando hotels and Port Everglades, supposedly at $25 - $75 a person.

As you said, Google is very good at providing this info.

All the suggestions we posters are making are contingent upon the OP being able to drive at least a short distance or having someone drive him/her.

But OP didn't ask for suggestions. OP asked for information about a particular resource, and no one has given any information about that.

But OP didn't ask for suggestions. OP asked for information about a particular resource, and no one has given any information about that.

Yes, his first post asked about a specific resource, and no one had any info. However, the OP in #3 said that he was looking for a way to get to the port without driving. To me, at least, that suggests a request for info on other means of getting to the port. Hence, posters have made several suggestions.

Actually, I think I did in post #29.

Roy

You're right and I apologize to the OP. But when I found out how close he/she was to FLL, I really had to wonder why the dilemma.

Come on Tampa Girl lighten up - some people do not drive any distances! and Leesburg is about a 4-5 hour drive to FLL.

Edited by take us away

Come on Tampa Girl lighten up - some people do not drive any distances! and Leesburg is about a 4-5 hour drive to FLL.

You are late to the party. This issue has been gone over and over and over. Besides which, I apologized, which is more than many posters would so. So give it a rest.

We have friends that used the Yankee Trails bus and they had no problems. It picks up either at the Rural King parking lot or the Bealls on 441. Contact the travel company and make the arrangements. I personally, when heading out on such a long cruise would definitely go a day or two ahead. You sure wouldn't want the stress of a mechanical problem with the bus or a traffic/accident along the way to keep you from getting to that cruise.

just for info for anyone that might need it. One can't go straight down the east coast of FL.. Jax to Miami. The train heads west to Orlando-Kissimmee to Tampa ; then across southern FL. to Miami Ft Laud. They are talking about a train from Orlando east and turning south before Pt Canaveral--non stop to Palm bch and further south. Again someone thinks those of us along the Coast won't use a train. Gotta love California's train system. Works just fine.