Lunch/dinner room service-Does meal arrive hot?

We have never ordered lunch or dinner through room service, thinking the meal might not be warm enough by the time it arrives. For those who have done this, can you order from the same main dining room menu and does the meal (meat/potato/vegetable for instance) stay warm?

Based on the many breakfasts and few dinners I have ordered, yes the hot food is hot. It's delivered on some sort of hot plate, with the china plate next, then the cover.

It all works well.

After much discussion of Room Service food temperatures here on CC, I took my infrared thermometer on my last four cruises. With only one exception of luke-warm eggs, all of my eggs arrived around 113 degrees Farenheit. Bacon and hash browns were a bit hotter.

It must be noted that we always have aft staterooms that are just a two-minute elevator ride from the kitchen. Staterooms far forward could reasonably expect a few degrees less warm on breakfast items.

Since all orders, other than breakfast, are delivered as soon as they are prepared, food temperature should be quite satisfactory.

My Room Service popcorn order was not even warm but I did not expect it to be.

We are 3 star mariners and do not eat in the main dining room. My husband goes to the gym each evening and we order room service about every night around 8pm. We have mostly good food and hot. If you want food from the dining room, let room service know in advance and what time you want it delivered. They are very good about requests. Much better than a few other cruise lines we have been on. Plus having a early morning coffee and paistries are a wonderful thing and they are always on time.

For dinner, most ships ask that you call within the first hour of when the dining room opens. And that would be around 5:15. You can pretty well order any time you want.

Check with the dining room manager to see what time you need to place your order for your ship.

The dinner menu is usually posted by the dining room shortly after breakfast -- each ship varies on this. Most bars and lounges have the menus in the afternoon.

In Neptune suites they will deliver course by course....or has that changed?

I think that depends on the ship. I heard some people say that they had this (course by course) but whenever I asked for it onboard it was never an option.

DaveOKW, do you order with the concierge or call room service? I have never taken advantage of a dining room meal in the room before so not sure the process.

I have done both. I have had some concierges tell me just to order it myself from room service, while others insist on doing it for me (give them my order by Noon) - guess which ones get a nice tip at the end of the cruise?

You do not need to be in a Neptune suite to do this by the way.

Tray removal after ordering room service: that is my one bugaboo about room service.

Calling and waiting for another knock on the door at any given time for tray pick-up, or calling and not having anyone show up to pick it up, or just leaving it for the cabin stewards to deal with the next morning (which is really not part of their jobs.) The one taboo that works in some hotels is to leave it in the hallway, is strictly verboten..

What have others found works best for the after-meal tray pick-up.

Tray removal after ordering room service: that is my one bugaboo about room service.

Calling and waiting for another knock on the door at any given time for tray pick-up, or calling and not having anyone show up to pick it up, or just leaving it for the cabin stewards to deal with the next morning (which is really not part of their jobs.) The one taboo that works in some hotels is to leave it in the hallway, is strictly verboten..

What have others found works best for the after-meal tray pick-up.

We were in an aft suite and had a wonderful steward. He asked each day if we would be ordering rooms service and he time. He told us not to worry about the delivery, that he would meet the room service and bring the trays to us. He also came back to get the trays/dishes.

I have done both. I have had some concierges tell me just to order it myself from room service, while others insist on doing it for me (give them my order by Noon) - guess which ones get a nice tip at the end of the cruise?

You do not need to be in a Neptune suite to do this by the way.

On Westerdam, last March, the concierge handled our orders. I would write out our order and give it to the concierge along with the requested delivery time. All courses were delivered at the same time. We planned our order so this would not be an issue.

Of course, if one wants ice cream, or similar, you can place two orders with different delivery times. Two tips.

Edited by RocketMan275

Of course, if one wants ice cream, or similar, you can place two orders with different delivery times. Two tips.

No need/requirement to tip for room service - it is an included dining option just like there is no need to tip each night in the MDR or the Lido. But some do tip room service; others do not. Same food and same delivery timing.

The one taboo that works in some hotels is to leave it in the hallway, is strictly verboten..

I was at a DoubleTree once and the room service tray had a little note on it to leave the tray in the hallway when I was done. But on ships, the hallways are too narrow to have trays left outside.

But on ships, the hallways are too narrow to have trays left outside.

So true, especially for people rolling along in a wheelchair or scooter. I've often been tempted to bang on a cabin door and ask the people to bring their tray back inside so I can get by.

Let's not even mention that ships roll, and the things on the trays in the passageway can go flying. That's dangerous.

Based on the many breakfasts and few dinners I have ordered, yes the hot food is hot. It's delivered on some sort of hot plate, with the china plate next, then the cover.

It all works well.

I, also, have been quite satisfied with Room Service meals delivered with the food at the appropriate temperature.

Towards the end of my Prinsendam's December/January cruise, the dinnerware started to be changed to the all-white plates. These plates did not fit snugly on the bottom hot plate, but were properly covered by the metal cover. Trying to cut something on the plate became "interesting" because the plate would squiggle around on the hot plate.

So true, especially for people rolling along in a wheelchair or scooter. I've often been tempted to bang on a cabin door and ask the people to bring their tray back inside so I can get by.

Let's not even mention that ships roll, and the things on the trays in the passageway can go flying. That's dangerous.

So true Ruth! I don't use a wheelchair, scooter or even a walker. Yet I still find the hallways too narrow to navigate if there's a room service tray there.

I think some people who may have only ever ordered room service in a hotel, with wide hallways, may not realize this is an issue and just leave the tray outside. That's why I mentioned it.

We can get room service popcorn???

Indeed you can but be specific that you do not want the movie popcorn/beverage package that has a charge. I tried and failed on the Noordam last year but the Neptune Lounge clarified for Room Service who called back with an apology followed by five bags of popcorn.

In Neptune suites they will deliver course by course....or has that changed?

We have ordered dinner meals in Neptune suites on several cruises and the dinners have always arrived hot and ready. They did not come out course by course, however. We've been pleased with the service.

We never put our trays in the hallway. Our steward requested we not do that and he promised to gather up the trays moments after we called to say we wanted pick up.

We have found that our in-suite servings were identical to the dinners served in the main restaurant. Overall, 'eating in' is one way to enjoy the balcony, inhale the sea air, have privacy, and take time to thank one's good luck for being there and in spanking good health.

Have done room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always hot.

I was especially surprised by dinner as it was as good as if we were in the MDR (which, for some reason I did not expect).

Course by course is a magnificent treat in the right venue. We only do it when we are in a PS and have friends. Have never asked for it in the NS and doubt we would ;)

Just call for the tray to be removed.

One thing I do is remove the tray, the hot plate from the bottom and "set the table" and just use the plate. It seems more civilized that way:D;)