O to Cuba

buggins0402

maybe not EVERYONE

My husband and I are taking a land trip to Cuba this December and the rules for our trip are very reminiscent of a trip to St. Petersburg. We're required to stay with our group at all times. So "everyone" is a very distinct possibility at least based on the current regulations.

We're hoping that the inevitable changes in Cuba aren't happening so fast that the island has lost much of its distinctive character. Right now, there's a deluge of friends who are going to Cuba within the next eight months. And each of us says we were motivated to go before too much change occurs.

My husband and I are taking a land trip to Cuba this December and the rules for our trip are very reminiscent of a trip to St. Petersburg. We're required to stay with our group at all times. So "everyone" is a very distinct possibility at least based on the current regulations.

I am guessing you are U.S. Citizens

We have been to Cuba without any restraints

Most of the world can visit Cuba without a minder

What is the big attraction of cruising to Cuba?

Genuine question, just never thought of it as a 'go to' destination.

Steve

I do not know as we are allowed to travel there it is not a big deal to us

It is a step back in time for some

It is a nice island but the restrictions have made it hard on those living there

This will be a gold mine for Oceania -- because everyone will have to take their over-priced shore excursions!

Not true..plenty of private guides in Cuba now...

Janruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I would love to go there as I spent a year there while in the USN. Aside from that I think the place is popular in America because we can not go their, and I also think once you got there and walked around a bit and saw the real Cuba, not the sound bites, the attraction would ware off quick. It will become just another Caribbean Island. As for the shore trips, I would expect until the embargo is lifted any cruise ship coming from the US will be under the cultural program where the passengers can not just go it alone once ashore. Once it truly opens up to US citizens it will be great for the lines as its only 90 miles away. I would bet there will be those short party trips from Miami as there are now from Florida to the Bahamas. I am sure NCL will trade their Bahamas stop for the ships sailing from NYC, thank God. My only problem is I am old so time is not on my side.

Not true..plenty of private guides in Cuba now...

Janruz1

As part of the lead up to our December trip, we attended a lecture about Cuba. The lecturer made the point that the most desirable profession in Cuba at the moment is that of guide or driver, especially guides/drivers working with American groups. These people earn more money in tips than a Cuban doctor.

For the moment, Americans are still visiting in groups organized by cultural, artistic, or religious organizations and we're required to stay with our group and our guides.

What is the big attraction of cruising to Cuba?

Genuine question, just never thought of it as a 'go to' destination.

Steve

Cuban food, Cuban rum in my Mojito, Cuban cigar to puff on, listening to Cuban music...

Outstanding :cool:

When we cruise from Florida to the Eastern Caribbean, we sail along Cuba and I always think that I would like to go there. When a catalog with an expensive and thoroughly organized trip to Cuba is in my mailbox, I say no, too expensive, not my interests. I am waiting like many other Floridians.

We went to Cuba three years ago--People to People tour to designated places--fascinating, sad, eye opening, a little heartbreaking. One can imagine the beauty of the place before Castro. Incredible architecture, crumbling, food rationing, not much to buy and wonderful people who need help, economically. As far as cruising, I can imagine the ships stopping at Havana for a day trip, two at most, but the infrastructure is not there to support thousands of people getting off of ships. I imagine that it could be better in a couple of years, but certainly not now. I guess the resorts on the other side of the island where Canadians and Europeans visit, would be fine, but Havana is not ready. Seeing the 50s cars and drinking Mojitos everywhere you visit, smoking great cigars, drinking good beer, all wonderful, but restaurants serve bland food due to lack of ingredients. We are so glad that we went--the history, the people, all exceptional. By the way, we could have gone other places that were not part of the itinerary--a lot of people did go out at night to clubs, walk along the Malecon, etc. Cuba is worth seeing, especially for those who are intrigued by its history and relationship with the US. However, going on a cruise in the near future to see it would certainly not be the way I would want to see it.

I will let you know what a cruise to Cuba is like after our sailing in February 2016 on the “Celestyal Crystal”.

Cheers,

Don

We "did" Cuba two years ago on the Celestial Crystal, a Greek ship though it was then called the Louis Cristal. Chartered by a company in Canada.

Not the most luxurious of vessels but ok. As for Cuba - go now before it becomes just another Caribbean island. Fields ploughed with oxen; great "private" restaurants; people keen to please - but avoid the all-inclusive beach resorts - you don't get to see anything.

I asked the driver of our 1952 Chevy "Which side of the road do you drive on?" His response: "The one without the potholes".

FDR, as you all know, is Cuban. We have a long standing arrangement that when Oceania sails Cuba for the first time we will be in the next cabin to him.

Our friends that go to Cuba on a regular basis do stay in the "all inclusive" resorts on the beautiful beaches but they also take 2-3 tours each time as well. Sometimes they are DIY and others they hire a driver. Easy day trip to Havana. The island is beautiful.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unseen-cuba-first-aerial-photographs-reveal-islands-spectacular-beauty-1501542

Edited by Christine Frances

I will let you know what a cruise to Cuba is like after our sailing in February 2016 on the “Celestyal Crystal”.

Cheers,

Don

The Celestial Crystal operation in Cuba (formerly Louis Crystal) was a wonderful experience because of it's unique emphasis on Cuban ports and culture, and Cuban onboard entertainment and music. Anyone interested in Cuba... as it is NOW... should book immediately. But please remember that the ship is not Oceania or Silversea, for sure. It's a nice ship in good shape and well kept. Comfortable. The food is ok/adequate. Staff/Crew very pleasant. You go for Cuba... If seeing Cuba now, before the changes... this is the one cruise to do.

The Celestial Crystal operation in Cuba (formerly Louis Crystal) was a wonderful experience because of it's unique emphasis on Cuban ports and culture, and Cuban onboard entertainment and music. Anyone interested in Cuba... as it is NOW... should book immediately. But please remember that the ship is not Oceania or Silversea, for sure. It's a nice ship in good shape and well kept. Comfortable. The food is ok/adequate. Staff/Crew very pleasant. You go for Cuba... If seeing Cuba now, before the changes... this is the one cruise to do.

Amen.