room stewards

whimbly

We ask for "turn down "service in the morning and only have the room made up once. Carnival is now asking guests if they want AM or PM room service, doing away with twice a day . Just can't figure out why anyone needs to have their bed done twice a day .

What is "egg crate for bed" and what is meant by a "top sheet"? At home I am used to comforters and when travelling, I just put up with anything on hotel beds. I also find the tucked sheets uncomfortable, but always just pull them out.

Thanks for enlightening me. I feel like an idiot, since the "egg crates" come up in the cruise forum conversations quite often.

Egg crate is a foam mattress topper. Some of the mattresses are quite old and saggy. A mattress topper (whether the egg crate style or a solid foam sheet) provides a little more comfort on the poor mattress.

Top sheet = a sheet to go over your body before the blanket or comforter. At home I have a fitted lower sheet, a top sheet, and a blanket (or bedspread or comforter). Princess has gone with a duvet style that includes a bottom sheet and the duvet on top. Some people prefer a sheet between their body and the duvet. If I get too hot at night, I can kick off the duvet but still have a very light covering over my body.

Button came off one of my dress shirts. I had packed one of those needle and cotton kits you get from hotels, problem is mine and DW eyes are past their sell by date. Our stewardess on the Emerald smiled and said let me do it, I guess in her own time. Much appreciated and a small donation to her favourite charity changed hands, well deserved. :)

Egg crate is a foam mattress topper. Some of the mattresses are quite old and saggy. A mattress topper (whether the egg crate style or a solid foam sheet) provides a little more comfort on the poor mattress.

Top sheet = a sheet to go over your body before the blanket or comforter. At home I have a fitted lower sheet' date=' a top sheet, and a blanket (or bedspread or comforter). Princess has gone with a duvet style that includes a bottom sheet and the duvet on top. Some people prefer a sheet between their body and the duvet. If I get too hot at night, I can kick off the duvet but still have a very light covering over my body.[/quote']

I could be mistaken but did I read somewhere that a top sheet is already there in the mini-suites and suites? or did I just dream that?

We pretty much keep our room cleaned up ourselves and only ask for extra ice. Last room steward we had said that the champagne buckets could not be found and if we could get one of the buckets used for the six beers, we could get more ice. Hubby took on the duty of drinking the beers, a real chore!

There were a couple times when we forgot to put away our play clothes after changing for dinner, and upon our return, the clothes would be neatly folded and left on the chair.

We ask for "turn down "service in the morning and only have the room made up once. Carnival is now asking guests if they want AM or PM room service, doing away with twice a day . Just can't figure out why anyone needs to have their bed done twice a day .

We are low maintenance, really just want our ice bucket kept full in addition to the usual --- but I LOVE twice a day service, turning down the bed at night and changing out used towels. It's one of the elegant parts of cruising that make it special for us. Hope Princess doesn't follow Carnival's lead.

I could be mistaken but did I read somewhere that a top sheet is already there in the mini-suites and suites? or did I just dream that?

Just a dream.. We had to request a top sheet in a suite on the CB a couple of weeks ago..

Edited by Kenswing

We've asked for, and received, a corkscrew when the one we brought with us broke, and on one of our first cruises, we brought one of those hanging shelf units for the closet to give us extra space for odds and ends, and it broke almost as soon as we hung it up...our steward was able to find some duct tape to fix it right up...

Nothing beats a good steward...and if you're lucky enough to have one, I hope you show your appreciation of him/her!;) Some of the most hard-working people you'll ever meet!

I guess I'll have to ask to have it removed.

Trouble with that is that the duvet is now not fully covered. It only has a partial cover that acts as a bedspread (it mostly only covers the top of the duvet). It is like having a top sheet with a blanket. And realize, the duvets themselves don't get washed or changed at the end of every cruise. The new bedding is not the same as the old bedding.

Edited by ar1950

Our last steward, Jesus (no not that one :D), after we used a few words in our pretty bad spanish to thank him or just to say hello, probably went back to his notebook and greeted us in french (our mother tongue) whenever we saw him through our cruise in Japan. He also volunteered to take our picture. He also talked to us about his family, his new house and the political situation in his country.

I have'nt read the other posts (shame on me) and this has already been mentionned but we treat our stewards as equal and we leave our cabin in such a state as he or she has the minimum to do.

Since we only book cruises that are 17 days or more (or B2B's) it is important for us to strike a good relation with our steward and the wait staff since we opt for "traditional dining".

:)

45 cruisers later on princess,i just encountered the worst room steward ever.I even tipped him before we even lift port.He had an attitude problem.

long cruiser

Not a shot at you, but so much for those who say pre tipping gets the best service.

Ours found a button for the waistband of DH's shorts after the ship's laundry did its thing and ate it. But, in general, we generally ask for less service, not more (i.e. no ice, no decorative pillows and covers and no tucked sheets.

Oh PescadoAmarillo thank you for mentioning no tucked sheets! I hadn't even thought to ask! Always looking at more ways to help out our steward as they do such a wonderful job.

Love that you learn so much from this site.

OP thank you for asking this question!

We have no problem with service only in the morning as long as we can get fresh ice in the afternoon. We probably stay in our cabin more than most people, so we need ice in the PM.

Many years ago, the only time we pre-tipped the Room Steward, we had the worst service we've ever had.

On the first day we ask for a top sheet if there's not one, two extra pillow's, and ice every afternoon. We don't need turn down service or towel's changed every day. Every other day is fine.

We have no problem with service only in the morning as long as we can get fresh ice in the afternoon. We probably stay in our cabin more than most people, so we need ice in the PM.

Many years ago, the only time we pre-tipped the Room Steward, we had the worst service we've ever had.

On the first day we ask for a top sheet if there's not one, two extra pillow's, and ice every afternoon. We don't need turn down service or towel's changed every day. Every other day is fine.

We had the same happen ,tipped this steward to fill our cooler twice a day, and it was the only time we did not have ice, when we wanted it :(

Never did that again!

Reader

We had the same happen ,tipped this steward to fill our cooler twice a day, and it was the only time we did not have ice, when we wanted it :(

Never did that again!

Reader

Yet so many shout the benefits of pre tipping:confused::confused:

I have to say I never have and have almost always had great service.

Yet so many shout the benefits of pre tipping:confused::confused:

I have to say I never have and have almost always had great service.

Learned our lesson!:D

I think they see you as a soft touch and then ignore you....

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Trouble with that is that the duvet is now not fully covered. It only has a partial cover that acts as a bedspread (it mostly only covers the top of the duvet). It is like having a top sheet with a blanket. And realize, the duvets themselves don't get washed or changed at the end of every cruise. The new bedding is not the same as the old bedding.

Good to know. As much as I dislike a top sheet, I guess I'll have to get used to it on my cruises. Thanks.

Ours specialized in saying "No." No to a blanket' date=' no to a mattress topper (said we should have requested in advance, which we had done!), and no to a footstool for the balcony (said only available in suites, which we knew wasn't true).[/quote']

Were you on the Royal? We had our worst steward ever last Aug/Sept. on the Royal. There was almost no request that wasn't answered with no, not available, or can't do it. When he told us that there were no blankets on the ship anywhere I told him not to worry about it, and that I'd check with Passenger Services instead. Interestingly enough, two brand new blankets appeared very quickly.

He was also overbearing and talked over us promising things that never happened probably because he wasn't listening.

We just got off the Ruby last Sunday, and we had a great steward Julio on Caribe starboard. He handled our few requests--top sheets, blankets and sharps container-- quickly and efficiently, and he was easy to work with.

Edited by FritzG

After reading through the posts following my earlier post I realized that we do ask for one other thing which is the top sheet. We don't like sleeping under the duvet. Really though, other than the top sheet and ice, we don't ask for anything other than the regular service provided.

If I had a steward who said, "No" to my request for a top sheet I would escalate the issue. That is really something they are supposed to supply upon request.