Safety in Cartagena, Colombia

Faith/Hope/Charity

Just booked the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, now I am wondering how safe it is to do the tourist things in Cartagena. We will be there for two days. I've read of tour busses being boarded and other terrible things. Doubting my decision to book this cruise already. Please help.

Haven't been there in a few years but I think any shore excursion you book with Celebrity will be ok. Cruise line is not going to put passengers at risk....bad for business. That being said, we were warned by our wine steward (on Infinity) not to get in any taxis or take tours from outside the fenced in port area because people were often robbed or scammed...The screened in port area was very nice and quite honestly we felt no need to leave it. Would have liked to see old city but when tour mentioned the Museum of Torture we lost interest....Spanish history in SA is NOT something to be proud of.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We visited Cartagena in December 2011 and felt safe on our private tour. Our tour had a minibus that took us to the monastery at the top of the hill overlooking the city, which the buses could not do.

The tour company was Doratours.

Just booked the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, now I am wondering how safe it is to do the tourist things in Cartagena. We will be there for two days. I've read of tour busses being boarded and other terrible things. Doubting my decision to book this cruise already. Please help.

We booked a horse drawn carriage ride through Celebrity which we thoroughly enjoyed. The town was interesting and the guide very good. We got to see the old town but by being in the carriage we out of the street hustle and bustle and the streets were very busy with tourists and vendors both in large numbers.

Edited by chemmo

We were last in Cartegena about 2 years ago and, as is our norm, went off on our own walking and exploring town and the market. The overall improvement since our prior trips was quite amazing...and sitting in a cafe near the Plaza Trinidad felt a lot like many European cities. Most tourists will stick to the old town area (Colonial City) which is quite safe (except for the usual pick pockets). However, if you walk around with a confused dazed look (like you have no clue) you may find yourself approached by some locals who will offer their services (as a guide). Some of these guys do not quickly understand the words, "No Gracias" and at times one has to be more assertive to get them to bother somebody else. But DW and I enjoy this port. If you have a long port day and desire, it is possible to get yourself to a decent beach area.

Hank

Hank

We booked a private tour, and you will find lots of them discussed on the Panama Canal tours. It is very much a tourist city, and I think you would be as safe as Barcelona or other cities where I have read much about crime and safer than places like Jamaca or Hondurous. We never felt like there was an issue, visiting tourists sites. I would be much more careful at night, but I would still do it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We visited Cartagena last year. We booked a private tour with a group of people from our cruise. We had a driver and a high recommended local guide and were on a minibus. I never felt unsafe. We had our daughter (11 at the time) and never felt like we were in a situation that was uncomfortable. We went to many local tourist sites and ate at a restaurant in Old Town. It was a wonderful experience and I'm very glad we did the tour!

We were there last year, and even walked from the ship to town (45 minute walk.) The only reason I wouldn't recommend doing that was that we were drenched by the time we got there. We wandered around on our own, had an elegant lunch at a small hotel restaurant, and then took a cab to the fortress. Other than a few persistent vendors, we were fine, and never felt threatened...even on the walk into town.

If you should be afraid of anything, it's the humidity! :D

Macdl

Have to agree. Some years ago I had a land holiday in Jamaica with my sister. We were staying in Ocho Riis, but hired a car and went into a local market to buy a cold drink. People starting calling us 'white honky tonks', so we decided it was time to leave.

H

Macdl

Have to agree. Some years ago I had a land holiday in Jamaica with my sister. We were staying in Ocho Riis, but hired a car and went into a local market to buy a cold drink. People starting calling us 'white honky tonks', so we decided it was time to leave.

H[/quote

Just didn't get a good vibe there... Our flight came in after mid nite and on way to resort We drove though street parties and the crowd parted to let our van though but it was very uncomfortable

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were there a little less than a year ago. We did this. http://freetourcartagena.com.co/us/index.html Felt very safe, but if you do it, go back with the group. We decided to look around the shops at the end and had a hard time finding a taxi driver that spoke enough English to return us to the ship.

p.s. Leave plenty of time to visit the birds, etc. near the port. Very fun.;)

Macdl

H

Am trying to understand what your post has to do with Cartegena, COLUMBIA!

Hank:eek:

Welll... It's all about feeling comfortable on the cruise.. Sorry

Trying to decide whether to take tour or stay on board [emoji19]

Edited by Macdl

We were there in Nov. of last year. We went to Carmen's for a tasting dinner with wine and it was superb and very reasonable. We went during the day to the city and had the cab driver come back and get us for the dinner, he knew where it was. Felt very safe both day and night! Enjoy:)

We were there about 8 years ago and did a couple of X shore excursions. Very overpriced, but also very enjoyable and since we had lots of OBC, didn't mind the trade off for security. There was a CC email within the last month or 2 listing the most dangerous ports. Cartagena was among those. We're visiting again next year and plan to stay onboard since we toured a lot last time. Google Cartagena Columbia and make an informed decision. If we venture out there again it will only be with X tour. Sometimes I think "feeling safe" is a function of not knowing enough about your environment. It can be a dangerous place. Arm yourself with good knowledge, your own research, then make an informed decision that's right for you and your own comfort level.

I forgot to include that we have a good friend who is a retired US Federal agent (DEA) who advised us STRONGLY about Cartagena. That definitely influenced our decisions about this port. We will not go off on our own there as we do in many other ports. Whatever you decide, be safe and have fun!

Welll... It's all about feeling comfortable on the cruise.. Sorry

Trying to decide whether to take tour or stay on board [emoji19]

That is really one of those personal decisions which is very dependent on your own risk tolerance. DW and I have traveled independently on 6 Continents (on both cruises and DIY land trips) and the only times we have ever been scared were in London, England (a druggie theatened DW with a knife) and years ago in Tunis, Tunesia when port security guards threatened us with an automatic weapon (actually made me more angry then scared). But we have met other cruisers who were literally afraid to get off a ship in any port...unless they were on a cruise ship excursion. And then there is DW and moi who are afraid to GO ON cruise line excursions :) (we hate large group tours). We have found that overcoming one's internal demons is a key part of enjoying independent and adventurous travel. And it does require a different mind set. For example, where you might take an excursion because you worry about missing the ship, we would go off on our own (perhaps in a rental car) and have thought about a "Plan B" of how we could catch the ship if we missed the ship (it has never happened in over 100 cruises). So rather then having anxiety due to worry about missing the ship, we simply focus on the options (and adventure) if it were to happen...and how we would solve the problem.

So here is the thing about Cartegena. It is like any large lively city..although it certainly has more then its share of aggressive (but generally harmless) vendors and other folks looking for a job as your guide. Since you sound like one who worries a lot about security, take a tour (private tours are generally better then the larger cruise line excursions). Stayin on a ship because you have no interest in a port (we do this quite often) if one thing....but staying on a ship because of fears is a bit sad.

Hank

We were there in February of this year and took a ships tour of the old town area. Beautiful city and at no time did we have any problems or see anything that caused us concern. Beautiful city- there are a few street sellers but they quickly moved off when we said no thanks.

Our guide went to great lengths to explain that the position in Columbia is much improved.