Safety in Cartagena, Colombia

Faith/Hope/Charity

Just booked the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, now I am wondering how safe it is to do the tourist things in Cartagena. We will be there for two days. I've read of tour busses being boarded and other terrible things. Doubting my decision to book this cruise already. Please help.

I would stay on the ship.

Just booked the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, now I am wondering how safe it is to do the tourist things in Cartagena. We will be there for two days. I've read of tour busses being boarded and other terrible things. Doubting my decision to book this cruise already. Please help.

Think someone was murdered there a few years ago. Not a cruise passenger, not a tourist, just some guy messing around with the wrong woman. Stuff like that happens everywhere.

But seriously, forget all of the scary stories. It seems that mostly they are written by people who are trying to amaze us that they were able to survive such a horrible place. In general, just travel safe, stay within your limits, but do enjoy the opportunity to visit new and different places.

As to Cartagena in particular, lovely old city! I am sorry we only had a one-day stop there on our cruise last December. We walked off, walked through the shop and "zoo" area that others have described, then by chance met up with new friends we had spent time with on board. The four of us linked up. I negotiated with one of the tour vendors by the exit from the gated area, he pointed us to a driver/guide, and we were off. I mainly wanted to spend time in the old city. Dora, often mentioned here, gives large group tours that include monestary, old city, new city, etc etc. Not my preference. So I told our guy that we wanted to see the fort and the Old City. "Its early still, we can go to the monastery first, see the view..." I gave in. He drove us up the hill, we spent 10-15 minutes with the wonderful views from the monastery entrance, then left as the tour buses began to arrive. Next stop was the fort, we leisurely wandered through. Then left as the tour buses began to arrive, went into the Old City. Our driver led us on a walking tour of the city, including time on the old city wall.

I had a list. We had looked at the guidebooks. But I have also learned that the local guides do have some idea about what will interest visitors like ourselves, and so the selection of what to see, where to spend time was a negotiation and a balancing act between us and our driver/guide. Of course he had the ulterior motive that the longer we spent, the more he earned at our agreed upon hourly rate for his time. But I am ok with people trying to earn their living. Been there, done that myself.

Bottom line: we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Cartagena, we wished we could have had more time, and there was never a moment where we were threatened or felt unsafe in any respect. People can and do get into trouble in any situation where a) they are an obvious outsider visitor, and b) some locals are desperately poor. The fact that it can happen (anywhere) does not mean it will happen to you. Go out and enjoy the opportunity to explore!

Stan

I think a lot of people find the 'hustling' by vendors, taxi drivers....quite threatening.

They visit a place, get off for a quiet stroll, window shop and get pounced on, they start to move away then as the vendor, in his mind being perfectly friendly and seeing them still as potential customers, chases them down the street shouting 'best price, best price...' they scurry back to the ship unsettled. I say this slightly light heartedly but it isn't pleasant for those who are not well travelled, lack confidence....

I have learned my firm 'no thank you' (avoid eye contact) routine but as a small older lady I think I would feel less confident in bustling places like Cartagena without my better half a few steps behind.

I think many people book the Celebrity tours for 'back up' by Rep or fellow guests. If they are unaware of roll calls and have limited IT confidence to book private tours it becomes the only way, in their perception, to see anything of the ports of call.

Returning to the OP, one of the reasons we booked the horse drawn carriage ride to see the old town was because it did enable us to be 'above' street level. Much as the 'very positive vending' doesn't scare me it is very tiring!

I certainly don't remember the street vendors being anywhere as near annoying in Cartagena as in Turkey and Egypt.

In fact, in Cartagena I bought a table cloth for something like 5USD. However, I do speak fluent Spanish, so perhaps that made a difference.

I subscribe to the State Department's travel warnings and I understand people reading the Government and individual safety and health warnings about any city (whether it is in the USA, Canada, Europe, Caribbean, etc.) before they travel but everyone has to realize that as long as you follow a few basic, common sense rules, you are as safe as if you were in your home city. 1) Always travel with at least one or two other people, as a tour, on a bus, there is safety in numbers (I am a solo cruiser and always post on the Roll Calls to see what tours other members are doing and see if I can get on the same tour). 2) Whether it is a ship excursion or private tour, always check reviews online, if the tour is rated low don't go. 3) Keep your guard up, if something doesn't feel right get out of there. 4) Travel in open and public places, especially at night. 5) Don't wear a lot of jewelry or carry a large bag, draws attention to you. 6) Do your research, where you ship will dock, how far is the dock from the main area of the port, check each countries tourism site to see what is recommended and not recommended to do, research taxi fares, do your research/homework in other words.

You can't travel afraid, that would defeat the purpose of traveling, why go if you won't come out of your room/cabin with the exception of eating.

Some posters veered off the post about Cartagena and talked about Jamaica and other cities, any city can be scary and hazardous to someone who is not familiar with it.

I was in Cartagena two weeks ago. It is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited, with rich history, and beautiful architecture. Yes the vendors are aggressive but when told NO once or twice they back down, no reason to be afraid of them, they are trying to make a living. The worst problems I had were the excessive heat and humidity, 95 degrees at 10 a.m. and 93% humidity (there are two season in Central America, HOT & DRY and HOT & WET) and the way that Colombians drive, I have been to many large cities, but it was the worst driving I have ever seen, worse than Rome. Colombians have a "Each driver for themselves attitude" and fast is the way to drive.

Be cautious, but not scared and enjoy your travels;)

We visited Cartagena on a Celebrity shore excursion which included a folklore show, and enjoyed it very much. That being said, I would not go there alone. Book a tour and stay close to your group. Also be aware you'll be doing a lot of walking in the oppressive heat and humidity, so bring a lot of water.

It was many years ago and unexpected (been to London many times). On a gorgeous February Sunday we were at the Imperial War Musuem for a few hours and then were walking back to cross the Thames when a bloke (in full length trench coat) popped out from nowhere and said he was going to cut my wife's throat. We were very close to the steps up to the bridge over the Thames...so I got between my wife and this crazy guy and told my wife to run up the steps and cross the bridge. He shouted some threats but never actually showed his knife. I thought I could take him if necessary, but he never actually attacked and once my wife was safe on the bridge I followed. The guy was high as a kite on something but that is not unusual in any city :(.

As you would suspect we did not see any Police for a few minutes...and by then there was no reason to make a big deal out of the situation. The good news it was London many years ago when we did not have to worry much about a gun...like in my own country.

Hank

Hank,

Interesting story. Glad you didn't have to fight the culprit.

We have never faced this situation. In cities that we are familiar with, we avoid areas where muggers may confront us. However, when in unfamiliar places, we always try to scope out what areas are safe. Usually, the hotel clerk or concierge will warn you, even circle areas on a local map to avoid.

Touring with a group, for example a private tour of 8-10 is a wise choice. If we are on our own, we are more careful where we go.

We have a four week drive tour of England and Wales planned for next year and I am researching such issues as unsafe areas. Our tour will not include London, and our largest cities will be Cardiff, York, Durham and Winchester.

...Touring with a group, for example a private tour of 8-10 is a wise choice. If we are on our own, we are more careful where we go...

I have done many work-related trips in Europe, Asia, Australia on my own with planned free time evenings and days before and after to explore. When my wife and I travel the two of us usually are on our own. Sometimes with a local guide. On a few occasions with a small group tour or a ship's excursion.

What I have noticed about groups of five or six people or more is what a target they provide. Periodically they will stop, cluster together as they view a site/sight, listen to their guide, coordinate amongst themselves etc. All focused in one direction, all concentrating on one thing, all with purses and wallets and bags to the outside of the group just begging to be taken.

So, two bits of advice for what it is worth: a) you may find safety in numbers, but b) when with a group you will be more conspicuous and thus more of a target and thus you should be even more alert to your surroundings. Don't let the safety in numbers notion lull you into too casual an attitude.

Hank,

Interesting story. Glad you didn't have to fight the culprit.

We have never faced this situation. In cities that we are familiar with, we avoid areas where muggers may confront us. However, when in unfamiliar places, we always try to scope out what areas are safe. Usually, the hotel clerk or concierge will warn you, even circle areas on a local map to avoid.

Touring with a group, for example a private tour of 8-10 is a wise choice. If we are on our own, we are more careful where we go.

We have a four week drive tour of England and Wales planned for next year and I am researching such issues as unsafe areas. Our tour will not include London, and our largest cities will be Cardiff, York, Durham and Winchester.

There are two things that drive me nutz when driving in the UK. 1. Shifting with my left hand (manual transmissions are the norm. and 2. driving through roundabouts (because the Brits drive the wrong direction which means yielding is the opposite of my instincts. Of course the cure to both of these problems is to first have a few pints of Guinness....and those issues seem to go away.

Hank

We booked with Cartagena Explore with Brayan Munoz. Excellent ratings on trip advisor and he was so quick to reply.

Second, protect yourself by making smart decisions. I will not wear ANY jewelry in Cartagena except a cheap watch - nothing else. Why temp someone.

I'll be taking my Pacsafe shoulder bag. Theft resistant. Locking devices on zipper and wire inside the strap. Fool proof no - but I also won't carry anything I don't absolutely need.

Edited by Jane2357

There are two things that drive me nutz when driving in the UK. 1. Shifting with my left hand (manual transmissions are the norm. and 2. driving through roundabouts (because the Brits drive the wrong direction which means yielding is the opposite of my instincts. Of course the cure to both of these problems is to first have a few pints of Guinness....and those issues seem to go away.

Hank

I don't have the issue when driving in the US,

Oh, no roundabouts and no stick shift :D

Hank

Hopefully you don't have a few pints first and then drive anywhere :eek:. This is likely to result in you losing your licence over here, with or without a manual gearbox ;).

Hi. Just to add to other posts - I did the same cruise a couple of years ago and really enjoyed all the ports. Very varied and interesting. I did a Segway tour (booked independently) in Cartagena Columbia which was fun and I felt completely safe. The Segway organiser arranged transport from the port gate to the Segway office and back whenever we were ready. We had time to wander around on our own after the tour.

I have done many work-related trips in Europe, Asia, Australia on my own with planned free time evenings and days before and after to explore. When my wife and I travel the two of us usually are on our own. Sometimes with a local guide. On a few occasions with a small group tour or a ship's excursion.

What I have noticed about groups of five or six people or more is what a target they provide. Periodically they will stop, cluster together as they view a site/sight, listen to their guide, coordinate amongst themselves etc. All focused in one direction, all concentrating on one thing, all with purses and wallets and bags to the outside of the group just begging to be taken.

So, two bits of advice for what it is worth: a) you may find safety in numbers, but b) when with a group you will be more conspicuous and thus more of a target and thus you should be even more alert to your surroundings. Don't let the safety in numbers notion lull you into too casual an attitude.

I see your point, but in the scenario with a small group, are you opining about pickpocketing or a mugging?

What?? That sounds like a typical summer's day in the South! :eek::eek:

I was thinking the same thing. When we were in Cartagena we felt "right at home!" HA! It was like a bad day in August in south Louisiana, but if you're not used to that it's miserable.

I was thinking the same thing. When we were in Cartagena we felt "right at home!" HA! It was like a bad day in August in south Louisiana, but if you're not used to that it's miserable.

Nah! They do not have crawfish :).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
We visited Cartagena in December 2011 and felt safe on our private tour. Our tour had a minibus that took us to the monastery at the top of the hill overlooking the city, which the buses could not do.

The tour company was Doratours.

We also took Doratoyrs three years ago and never felt unsafe. We went to the monastary, the old town, and the emerald museum. There were many peopke trying to sell you things in old town but they took no thank you for an answer.

We toured with Dora this past September 16 of us thru our roll call. She was easy to communicate with in emails, spoke great English, a good number of us felt it was the best tour taken on the 17 day cruise through the Panama Canal

Edited by dondiane

We toured with Dora this past September 16 of us thru our roll call. She was easy to communicate with in emails, spoke great English, a good number of us felt it was the best tour taken on the 17 day cruise through the Panama Canal

How can I contact Dora? Do you have to form a group or can you be added to a group?

We just returned from the Infinity Panama Canal cruise a few weeks ago. We had a day stop in Cartagena and we took ships tour that was a boat trip to walled city walking tour. It was great if you can do the walking. The boat ride was just a way to get there instead of bus or cab and we got a talk about their history on the ride over. It was only a couple of hours long but enough for us and the area inside the fence at the port is a pleasure to be in. It was VERY humid while we were there and that was mid Oct.

We were there a few years ago and I did not feel safe then but this time with the ships tour I enjoyed it more but the street vendors are persistent, just shake your head no and keep on walking.